DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It was around the time the show Dinosaurs had just begun on TV.

You could have given a midget the gimmick of the Baby. He could hit guys with a frying pan, the crowd would pop. It'd be topical!

Then when the mafia end up plugging him with bullets, they could just say he went extinct.

• Like 1

It was around the time the show Dinosaurs had just begun on TV.

You could have given a midget the gimmick of the Baby. He could hit guys with a frying pan, the crowd would pop. It'd be topical.

Bravo clubbing dudes with a pan yelling "Not the mama!!"= license to print money

• Like 5

Not a deep body of work but was Jamal/Umaga ever a face?

Umaga had a short babyface run in the summer of 2007.

Don't remember it at all... haha

I don't remember him doing anything outside of getting cheered for killing pre-comedy Milan Miracle Santino, which was not supposed to get face heat. But wikipedia says:

Not long after, he seemingly started a face turn, joining forces with John Cena against Carlito and Randy Orton.[39][40] After defeating both Mr. Kennedy and Carlito in a triple threat match at SummerSlam to retain his Intercontinental Title,[41] Umaga interrupted a Raw match between Kennedy and a returning Jeff Hardy, assaulting Hardy and leaving him lying in the ring[42] thus turning heel again.

Amazing the stuff you completely forget when you've been watching 15+ years, as I'm sure most of us have.

Did Bad News Allen/Brown ever work face?

He was very briefly a babyface in Florida for a few weeks in early '87.  Wrestling's Main Event magazine chronicled a short feud involving him and Scott Hall against Kevin Sullivan and (I think) Sir Oliver Humperdink.

Didn't he heel turn on The Stomper or something? I remember something like that from WotD or something.

Bad News attacked longtime heel The Stomper and his "son" in a 6 man tag match causing Stomper to become a mega babyface. This angle caused Ed Whalen to quit Stampede due to its violence. If you can find it, watch The Stomper's post-match interview. It is an amazing promo.

Speaking of Bravo, has their ever been an in-depth article written about his murder? Google searches and Slam Sports website have come up negative. The story I've heard is that he got caught up in the black market cigarette trade in Canada and was executed. Was anyone arrested? This would be a perfect topic for one of those Investigation Discovery crime shows.

Speaking of Bravo, has their ever been an in-depth article written about his murder? Google searches and Slam Sports website have come up negative. The story I've heard is that he got caught up in the black market cigarette trade in Canada and was executed. Was anyone arrested? This would be a perfect topic for one of those Investigation Discovery crime shows.

As far as I know, no one was ever arrested for Bravo's murder.  Meltzer's Tributes book says that Bravo was found by his family slumped over in his chair with seventeen bullets in him with no forced entry, sign of struggle or neighbors hearing any shots fired.  So the story is that he knew his killers and they took him out for some kind of wrong he committed.

And does a tape of the Allen/Stomper's son beatdown even exist?  Every video I've seen always edits it out and goes right to the Stomper's promo.   It's been one of those moments that people always talk about, but no one seems to have actually seen.

I was just watching a Mickie James/Gail Kim match as part of a "botches" video and the ref counted the pinfall standing outside the ring.  It was the most interesting thing about the entire video, as I assumed the ref always had to be IN the ring (unless in a falls count anywhere match) to count.

It's kind-of messing with my head.

I think the most in depth story you'll get, is from Martel or Jacques Rougeau's shoot. Unless Meltzer wrote one, in that case, I'm wrong.

Theres an interview I read that was maybe about from 2000-2001ish with Rick Martel not to long ago where he said who ever killed Dino had to be someone he was possibly a friend with because apparently how he was found according to the crime scene report.

Ah here's where I saw it. On Reddit. It's a transcript of his RF Shoot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1bhmgm/the_murder_of_dino_bravo/

They'd pumped ten bullets in his head. There was no force of entry in his house...and it was the winter, so you could see there would [have been] footprints [in the snow outside]- but there were none.

They had somebody...an inside person. It was probably someone who was watching hockey with him and said, 'Hey look, Dino, I'm gonna go to the bathroom...' They shot him from behind. The detective told us that the remote control was loose in his hand...they say that if they shoot you from the front you [see it coming and] tense your muscles and [he would have gripped] that remote control [tightly at the point of death].

So they shot him from behind...he didn't see anything..."

Speaking of Jacques Rougeau, I was just watching the clip of him beating Hogan in Montreal. There was video on the big screen above the ring so does that mean there is professional footage of this show somewhere? Since it was billed a WCW would it be buried somewhere in their tape vaults or was it just something the arena was doing.

The magazines loved Bravo, always pushing as a threat. I think it came from the Montreal house show where he laid out Hogan.

I remember that PWI magazine that had the picture of him bearhugging Hogan into oblivion with the title, "The man Hulk Hogan can't beat!"

I think the most in depth story you'll get, is from Martel or Jacques Rougeau's shoot. Unless Meltzer wrote one, in that case, I'm wrong.

I believe it was Martel's shoot. He said something like Bravo had a friend over to watch hockey, the guy said he had to go to the bathroom as an excuse to get behind Bravo and shot him in the back of the head.

Edit--should've read the whole thread. Someone above me explained it.