DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Watching this wXw tourny from 2008. New most disturbing chant ever is a bunch of German dudes chanting "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in!!"

I think that started in America. And I'm pretty sure Bryan Danielson, of all people, was the one to start it.

I'm familiar with the chant and I'm not sure I'd credit Bryan with "starting it." It sounds like something that came out of an NYC crowd. It was just particularly disturbing to hear with the German accent.

Watching this wXw tourny from 2008. New most disturbing chant ever is a bunch of German dudes chanting "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in!!"

I think that started in America. And I'm pretty sure Bryan Danielson, of all people, was the one to start it.

Danielson started it in ROH during the CZW feud.

• Like 1

I'm familiar with the chant and I'm not sure I'd credit Bryan with "starting it." It sounds like something that came out of an NYC crowd. It was just particularly disturbing to hear with the German accent.

Because Nazis, is what he means.

Racist much?

• Like 1

Anyone else see this? It came through my Facebook feed. Thoughts?

Your link/image/whatever is broke, Bo.

Here's the article he was trying to post:

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/the-not-so-fictional-bias-in-the-wwe-world-championship/374042/

Title of the article is "Pro Wrestling is Fake, But Its Race Problem Isn't"

Racist much?

Oh of course. What you don't hate those damn dirty krauts?? I mean I am half German but still, grrr I hate 'em.

It's a disturbing chant in America only amplified by that distinctive accent. Or I'm just a no good racist. Fucking moron.

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/the-not-so-fictional-bias-in-the-wwe-world-championship/374042/

Thanks, went to bed after I posted iy.

It sounds like something that came out of an NYC crowd.

It's been a chant sung in English soccer stadiums since the seventies, the heyday of hooliganism. I knew it when I was a kid in the eighties, and it's known enough that it was used for comedy purposes in this sketch from the nineties:

(Bah, the embedded link isn't loading at the correct point. It's after 1:07.)

• Like 1

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/07/the-not-so-fictional-bias-in-the-wwe-world-championship/374042/

It's kinda dumb how you have to embed all links here.

Anyway, the article has some obvious problems that wrestling nerds will jump on, and it's all old hat around here, but it's thorough and it's right. I like that it centers around HHH-Booker T, and I like that it points to Lashley, maybe the one guy that could have actually held the strap.

As a broader critique, is it possible to actually write about wrestling for a lay audience? This guy can't help but get wrapped up in convoluted belt history and insider tropes. The Masked Man has never fully overcome this, either.

that writer had to REALLY stretch to make things work. 'hey let's cherry-pick from a 60 year history to only find things that fit my agenda'.

'sure, Mark Henry is a two-time World Champion, but he was never the WWE Champion so it doesn't really count'

"Cryme Tyme was easily the most racist gimmick in the history of pro-wrestling racist gimmicks.". sure, don't mention that it was done comedically, which changes everything.

i can't speak to Rusev's black wrestler squashing, but are those the ONLY guys he's faced? if so, that is indeed odd.

'well, the Rock was champion, but that's because he was Samoan'. right.

and mention all his other gimmicks, but don't point out that Charles Wright was at one point the Supreme Fighting Machine, the first MMA-inspired character

on the other hand, it's not totally untrue, and it's been said for years.

Other than nitpicking that the Rock "doesn't count" because he's 1/2 black, he ignored the World title, which for quite a while was *the* title when they were trying to re-establish it.  The main thrust of the article, HHH/Booker T was even for the World Title, not the WWE title.

ETA: What twiztor said, but more concise & less angry

Yeah, saying the WWE has never had a black champion while dismissing the Rock is like saying America has never had a black president. It also seemed weird to dismiss the Rock while overhyping Booker T as a five time WCW Champion during the time WCW beat WWE in the ratings since it isn't true, and some of those reigns actually came in WWE. There are plenty of legitimate points that could have been made without overgeneralizing.

"it's not totally untrue" is a violent understatement, cryme tyme was totally racist, and there has always been a massive "race problem"

it's been discussed candidly in a bunch of shoots - rocky johnson's comes to mind, as well as corny/percy talking about bobo

it is NOTHING like the old days now, but come on

"Cryme Tyme was easily the most racist gimmick in the history of pro-wrestling racist gimmicks.". sure, don't mention that it was done comedically, which changes everything.

exactly - like minstrel shows

really

• Like 3

The "comedic" part is probably the hardest thing to communicate to a lay audience.  There are so many layers of irony and subtle nods to the past in wrestling that are difficult to explain so quickly. 

That said...I don't think you get to do a "comedic" Cryme Tyme gimmick until you've shown that you can also show that you've pushed for more diverse roles in other areas.

And the Raw champion has always been the only one that really counted, even when Smackdown was the better show with more viewers.  He also points that out - he's talking about the Raw champion.

And don't over-simplify what he said about the Rock. 

But yeah, like I said - it's easy to pick apart for wrestling nerds, but the overarching argument and the Booker T and overall stereotyping points are spot on.

At least the article wasn't titled "The Race Problem is fake, but Pro Wrestling isn't". Extrapolate how awful it would be from there.

• Like 1

Yoshii Tatsu was over on ECW and then they forgot about him.

Yoshi Tatsu was over. I think he has great facial and physical charisma. He is easy to root for and his facial expressions sort of make you feel his pain when he's getting beaten up. 

WWE dropped the ball with him. He could be in Kofi's spot as younger fan-pleasing face that wins some and loses a lot. 

EDIT: Actually, Kofi/Yoshi as a tag team where Yoshi plays FIP and Kofi is the hot-tag that does his high spots going into the finish sounds like the perfect face tag team to beat lower-card heel pairings on Main Event and Superstars and that loses to heel tag teams that are getting pushes toward title shots. 

You do know that Yoshi will be 37 in 3 weeks.

37, not 47. 

Though if you think his age is a problem, that just makes me take the stance that WWE missed the ball and should have done this four or five years ago when Tatsu was younger. 

Anyway, Paul Heyman playing the Gary Hart to KENTA's Great Muta sounds pretty fun, to the person who mentioned that idea. 

It shouldn't be how old he is but how old he looks. Dude looks at least 10 years younger, especially with the anime hair. Also, Ted Petty was already 41-42 when he got the Rocco Rock gimmick that took off like a rocket for him.

Haven't read the article yet, but was there any mention of Ahmed Johnson?  He was on the fast track at first(bodyslamming Yokozuna right out of the gate), but injuries derailed him...he could have been pushed to that level at the rate he was going.