DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The biggest knock I've heard on him is that he resents wrestling because he wants to be "Hollywood".  He wants to be producing sitcoms, but he's stuck in "wrasslin".  But wrestling people hate guys who aren't wrestling people.

All those guys except for Tajiri got over with the help of working a style that most of us non tape-traders had never seen before which makes me wonder if the constraints of the WWE style will hamper KENTA's ability to get over just on his work.

When Tajiri came in the roster was alot more giving. You can also argue that Tajiri's offense is alot more believable in the eyes of the guys on the roster rather than the Arial type style most those guys brought. Bret said that other guys weren't giving at all for Hakushi which is why he didn't get Over . I think KENTA will be brought in as a serious type and won't be much gimmick, I just feel bad that 2 of the top guys in the last 5 years stole one of his finishers. He won't end up like Mystico because he couldn't adapt & KENTA won't have that problem he just has to stay injury free.

Yoshii Tatsu was over on ECW and then they forgot about him.

Yoshi Tatsu was over. I think he has great facial and physical charisma. He is easy to root for and his facial expressions sort of make you feel his pain when he's getting beaten up. 

WWE dropped the ball with him. He could be in Kofi's spot as younger fan-pleasing face that wins some and loses a lot. 

EDIT: Actually, Kofi/Yoshi as a tag team where Yoshi plays FIP and Kofi is the hot-tag that does his high spots going into the finish sounds like the perfect face tag team to beat lower-card heel pairings on Main Event and Superstars and that loses to heel tag teams that are getting pushes toward title shots. 

You do know that Yoshi will be 37 in 3 weeks.

KENTA's signing reminds me of a long-ago Firepro Wrestling feud (Japanese video game, for those that don't know).  KENTA feuded with Punk over Punk appropriating his finisher and what-not.  Blow-off to the feud was a "Winner gets KENTA's MOVEZ" gimmick match.

Punk won.  This was back in the days when KENTA was wearing the brown and yellow trunks and wasn't using any other finisher with regularity.  Needless to say, it was a while before the KENTA edit saw got used again.

Honestly, I think the two variations of the G2S are different enough with Kenta throwing a kick and Punk throwing a knee that it won't be a problem other than Kenta having to actually pick WWE guys up for the thing.  The loss of the knee plus is probably going to be harder on him since he could hit that thing on anybody but there is no way they are going to let him take that back.

I've been reading Wreddit and the nouveau smarks on there have been bashing Kevin Dunn. Honestly, I've heard rumblings (Cornette in particular) about the guy being creative cancer, but does anyone on here actually know what disasters he's responsible for?

The diva search was his baby. I remember it being his idea to do them as pre tapes when paying customers were shitting on the segments live.

So he's an extremely horny guy...got it.

Cornette shits on this guy like he's Russo. I've heard his name with regards to SNME and production since the 80s, but that's the extent of it. Thanks.

google Alex Greenfield and Kevin Dunn

He's an easy scapegoat for every "Sports Entertainment" element of WWE.

Agree for the most part. I'm not really a fan of his thoughts on wrestling but let's not pretend it was anybody but Vince that decided what direction the company was going.

• Like 1

KENTA coming to NXT is going to be one of the more interesting stories of the next few months. I actually like that theory floated a few pages back about KENTA and Devitt being there to help network subs in Japan when it becomes available over there. Just not sure how much those guys would really move the needle there.

Then you have the moveset. I highly doubt they let him keep his lifted shit. They should but they won't. Then how much of a factor will his English be? Is he studying his balls off in preparation for this? Will they pair him with somebody? He'd make a killer Paul Heyman guy.

I'm sure a big part of KENTA starting off in NXT is getting used to WWE rings, with the looser ropes and whatnot.

And back to Cornette's racket - not sure if he did something special to them, but he used to get a helluva noise out of one of those things when he'd whack somebody with it - had to be part of the appeal.

He's an easy scapegoat for every "Sports Entertainment" element of WWE.

Agree for the most part. I'm not really a fan of his thoughts on wrestling but let's not pretend it was anybody but Vince that decided what direction the company was going.

Dunn is a guy I badly want on Austin's podcast. It's been mentioned as a possibility before.

I've been reading Wreddit and the nouveau smarks on there have been bashing Kevin Dunn. Honestly, I've heard rumblings (Cornette in particular) about the guy being creative cancer, but does anyone on here actually know what disasters he's responsible for?

The diva search was his baby. I remember it being his idea to do them as pre tapes when paying customers were shitting on the segments live.
So he's an extremely horny guy...got it.

Cornette shits on this guy like he's Russo. I've heard his name with regards to SNME and production since the 80s, but that's the extent of it. Thanks.

google Alex Greenfield and Kevin Dunn

Heard him on Wade Keller's podcast. Disgruntled former employee for a couple of years, low budget horror film producer, father is a UFOlogist...sounds reputable.

Yoshii Tatsu was over on ECW and then they forgot about him.

Yoshi Tatsu was over. I think he has great facial and physical charisma. He is easy to root for and his facial expressions sort of make you feel his pain when he's getting beaten up. 

WWE dropped the ball with him. He could be in Kofi's spot as younger fan-pleasing face that wins some and loses a lot. 

EDIT: Actually, Kofi/Yoshi as a tag team where Yoshi plays FIP and Kofi is the hot-tag that does his high spots going into the finish sounds like the perfect face tag team to beat lower-card heel pairings on Main Event and Superstars and that loses to heel tag teams that are getting pushes toward title shots. 

You do know that Yoshi will be 37 in 3 weeks.

37, not 47. 

Though if you think his age is a problem, that just makes me take the stance that WWE missed the ball and should have done this four or five years ago when Tatsu was younger. 

Anyway, Paul Heyman playing the Gary Hart to KENTA's Great Muta sounds pretty fun, to the person who mentioned that idea. 

I'm sure a big part of KENTA starting off in NXT is getting used to WWE rings, with the looser ropes and whatnot.

And back to Cornette's racket - not sure if he did something special to them, but he used to get a helluva noise out of one of those things when he'd whack somebody with it - had to be part of the appeal.

I thought that the announcers referred to it on at least one occasion as a "loaded" tennis racket. Again, never specified what it would have been loaded with, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I heard someone say that.