DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Kh-rock-sher Khrushchev

Is that a Flintstones character?

Could be. Wait until the wwe/flintstones movie comes out to check.

On imdb, the character list includes

John Cenastone

nikki and brie boulder

Cm punkrock

Vince mcmagma

When/hopefully not if Bryan comes back he should drop all the cruiserweight flippity flying bullshit and wrestle like the second coming of William Regal. It'll add years to his career.

The flying headbutt and the suicide dive into the barricade needed to be dropped from his arsenal before this injury. I hope he stops with those things now.

Most of the guys who regularly did flying headbutts that I can think of are dead or crippled with the specific exception of Harley Race in this instance, who is just in poor shape because he's old. 

I listened to Dreamer on Austin's podcast today. He told a story of Backlund showing up unannounced and doing a shoot run-in during tv to promote his run for office in Connecticut (of course, this was in NY). When did he go apeshit crazy? Sometime between leaving WWF and returning in 95?

Much like Teddy Roosevelt, Death will have to come for Harley while he's sleeping, because if he tries it when he's awake, there's gonna be a fight.

Dammit I was just about to post that exact thing

• Like 1

I listened to Dreamer on Austin's podcast today. He told a story of Backlund showing up unannounced and doing a shoot run-in during tv to promote his run for office in Connecticut (of course, this was in NY). When did he go apeshit crazy? Sometime between leaving WWF and returning in 95?

He was apparently crazy the entire time. There are stories about him being a bit peculiar during his first run as champion.

He was apparently crazy the entire time. There are stories about him being a bit peculiar during his first run as champion.

Yeah there are stories in i think Bret's and Jericho's books about touring Japan with him and he seemed like a nut even then. Also, the Superstar Graham story about him wanting to wear the belt under his robe and having an argument with Vince, Sr about it.

Yeah there are stories in i think Bret's and Jericho's books about touring Japan with him and he seemed like a nut even then. Also, the Superstar Graham story about him wanting to wear the belt under his robe and having an argument with Vince, Sr about it.

If I remember correctly, Nash's shoot featured a story where some of the guys heard a commotion coming from Backlund's room...yada yada yada...it was just him partaking in vigorous calisthenics with the room's furnace maxed out.

The one thing that always got me about one James E. Cornette and his devotion to pure sports build; and avoiding business exposing tripe at all costs, is that he never realized his loaded tennis racket has to be right down there near the bottom as far as silliest international objects go. See also: Ms. Elizabeth's high heel and coal miner's glove. Just wrap a damn chain around your fist, nimrods.

I mean I do agree with his views on the other extreme of how stupid it was to introduce and use legit lethal objects like sledgehammers and baseball bats instead of steel chairs. The bat only worked for crow Sting because he was merely fending off a dozen attackers at a time and all it took was one shot (usually to the gut) and they succumbed. But once Sting and Bret started using it on a regular basis during their feud as a cheap finish that Russo loved so much the bat got old in a hurry.

But as far as hokey old school stuff goes, it doesn't get any cornier than being finished by a tennis racket shot to the back.

A strong man is going to be able to lay in quite a shot with a tennis racket, especially if they've practised. And, kayfabe wise, Cornette was also practised in wielding a racket - because he was a country club boy.

And although a chained fist isn't going to be quite as lethal as a sledgehammer, you'd be able to do someone a lot of wrong with a few shots mos def.

It's not like Jim Cornette thinks everything should be 'shoot-style' - it's about not exposing the business any more than you have to to get over. Now, there's always a potential line of argument which says that Jim Cornette's antics might well be considered as business-exposing by the people who came before him - at which point he can point to his success as a manager in terms of money drawn etc etc, without anyone have to kill eachother very much.

I thought of the SMW Gangstas 'Affirmative Action' 2 count victories, Russo would surely be proud of that. Cornette's hands aren't as clean as he'd like to pretend, but you'd have to be pretty obtuse, or have not watched a Russo Nitro, to argue that they were guilty of the same shit day in and day out.

I just like a plain old steel chair as the go-to blunt trauma instrument. The tennis racket was goofy but I guess that was just puny tag team wrestlers laying down for it anyways so what did it really hurt? It's still funny to consider that loaded tennis racket though when Cornette gets overly serious about protecting the business.

As for Russo, I became totally disinterested in Nitro once every other big match had a finish where a guy got conked with a bat or guitar as the finish. That was the drizzling shits.

Have asked this before - I don't think the WWE have ever used baseball bats as a gimmick/weapon?

Not on a consistent basis. The only two times I can recall, was when Cactus/Chainsaw teamed up, a regular and barbed wire bat were brought out. The former smashed the Outlaws car. Second time was when Chyna attacked Owen's injured ankle prior to WM XIV. There may be more.

Yeah, but it was only a self-proclaimed spoiled mama's boy laying in the shot with the racket; loaded or not. It just looked goofy to me.

Well that's the thing that was so great about it. It was designed to piss off all the roobs in the crowd. Jim Cornette the slick lil mama's boy taking out someone with a loaded tennis racket. Honestly he could have done a Bob Hope gimmick and gotten the same reaction with a loaded golf club.

Keep in mind, the tennis racket still had the cover on it. For all we know, Jamesy would stick a metal plate in there.

He was also using it as a legit weapon against fans who jumped the rail. In his office he has a racket he broke over a drunks head.

Speaking of crazy Bob Backlund (specifically during that time he was running for office). Here is a story someone sent into Deadspin a couple of years ago. (Remember this is wrestling and the internet so I don't think there is enough grains of salt in the world but still)

Back in 1999 I went to a WWF house show at Madison Square Garden. Mid way through the under-card an announcement is made over the PA saying "Former Wrestling Legend and candidate for Connecticut State Congress, Bob Backlund will be doing a meet and greet in section 119". Being from Connecticut and that I had seen Backlund wrestle back in 1994 at my first live wrestling event, I decide to head to section 119.

Bob Backlund is standing there with his wife and an aide shaking hands, taking photos and talking about his platform to a small crowd that has lined up to get a picture and shake Bob Backlund's hand. I am about 14 at the time and like most people in line, way too young to vote. I start to debate about what I will say to Bob Backlund when I meet him. I decide I will tell him about when I saw him wrestle in 1994, which for some reason I think he will care about. Unfortunately the person right in front of me tells Bob Backlund that he saw him wrestle in 1995 and Bob Backlund doesn't care. Being a quick thinking adolescent I say "Mr. Backlund even though I can't vote I am from Connecticut and I will get my parents to vote for you." He asks me where I live and I tell him Stamford (about 25 miles from New York City). He tells me that he is running in Glastonbury (at least 45 miles outside of NYC) and that I am not in his voting district. I reply that my Grandmother lives in that district and I will get her and all her friends to vote you. Bob Backlund lights up like a kid on Christmas. I think that over the course of this meet and greet Bob Backlund has realized that doing a campaign stop in Manhattan is not the best way to win votes in Central Connecticut.

At this point Bob Backlund pulls me aside to tell me the high points of campaign. The only thing I remember from this stump speech is that Bob Backlund says he will have people save on energy by lowering the thermostat and putting on a sweater. I don't care much about his campaign platform but am willing to listen if I can take a picture with the man. My wish is finally granted and I hand my disposable camera to a bystander and stand next to Bob Backlund in front of the autograph table. At this point Bob Backlund throws me into the table and applies his signature move the "Cross-Face Chicken Wing". I feel a pain like I never had in my life of both my arm and neck breaking at the same time. Noticing I am in agony Bob Backlund demands that I tap out, which I believe I was already doing. I stand up a broken and defeated man about to walk away when Bob Backlund turns to me and says "Kid, remember: Wrestling isn't fake and don't forget to tell your grandmother to vote."
  • Like 11

Yeah, but it was only a self-proclaimed spoiled mama's boy laying in the shot with the racket; loaded or not. It just looked goofy to me.

The funny thing is that it was loaded more for them to use a weapon to fight off the fans, esp in Mid-South.

A number of times recently, he has told stories about people getting knocked silly from racket shots, thanks to the horseshoe inside it.

I always thought a good FO gimmick would be a cricket bat, wielded by an English/Aussie manager.