DVDVR Message Board

The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale: Team Edgar vs. Team Penn (7/6/2014) - Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Elsalvajeloco

TUF_19_Finale_Edgar_vs._Penn_3_Poster.pn

The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale: Team Edgar vs. Team Penn

July 6, 2014

Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)

Frankie Edgar (145.5) vs. B.J. Penn (145) - Edgar, TKO (punches), R3 (4:16)

TUF 19 Light Heavyweight Tournament Final: Corey Anderson (204) vs. Matt Van Buren (206) - Anderson, TKO (punches), R1 (1:01)

TUF 19 Middleweight Tournament Final: Eddie Gordon (186) vs. Dhiego Lima (185) - Gordon, TKO (punches), R1 (1:11)

Derrick Lewis (264) vs. Guto Inocente (232) - Lewis, KO (punches), R1 (3:30)

Justin Scoggins (124) vs. Dustin Ortiz (125) - Ortiz, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Kevin Lee (156) vs. Jesse Ronson (155) - Lee, DEC (split)

Jumabieke Tuerxun (136) vs. Leandro Issa (135.5) - Issa, SUB (modified armbar), R3 (3:49)

Adriano Martins (155.5) vs. Juan Manuel Puig (155) - Martins, KO (punch), R1 (2:21)

Dan Spohn (205) vs. Patrick Walsh (206) - Walsh, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Sarah Moras (139) vs. Alexis Dufresne (143) - Moras, DEC (unanimous)

Robert Drysdale (202.5) vs. Keith Berish (203) - NC (Drysdale Tested Positive For Drostanolone)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Adriano Martins

Performance of the Night: Leandro Issa

Fight of the Night: Jumabieke Tuerxun vs. Leandro Issa

Attendance: 6,500

Gate: $531,000

Rating: 1.0 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:

None

Guest Edwin

I'd say put it on hiatus in the US and just continue the overseas versions.

Not even. They've been as bad, if not worse than the US versions and have produced who exactly?

TUF Brazil has produced who? Rony Jason?

TUF China was straight up horrible.

I don't even think about who the show even produces at this point because they can pretty much debut a fighter off the bat. I don't need a show to tell me Sergio Moraes can submit people and Marcos Pezao can straight up flatline people. You got your ringers and those guys just there to fill cards in Brazil along with everything in between. I found TUF Brazil 3 to be a pretty decent season compared to U.S. version just because the personalities. I didn't mind the contrived pro wrestling stuff. However, after this, I am not sure what they have going on in Brazil. It could easily flounder into what TUF Nations and TUF China are. But I can't deny that this is Fight Pass content and should remain that way going forward. If Fox wants the U.S. show gone or revamped, it's their choice because they hold most of the cards (figuratively and literally).

Guest Edwin

I think they should just focus on the lighter weight divisions or either of the WMMA divisions on TUF from now on.

Whatever they've done with this seasons of TUF have been better and have produced better fighters recently than what they've done with the remaining weight classes.

Put all of your money on Edgar, if you weren't already doing that. On Joe Rogan's podcast, Ian McCall said that he was helping BJ train for this fight, except BJ is doing no strength and conditioning training. BJ's strength and conditioning consists of...

farming.

McCall thinks BJ is in incredible shape though, because BJ was able to outpace McCall during training. Mind you, McCall's hip and groin are both fucked up, so most guys are going to be able to go longer than McCall at this point.

Always nice to help a guy train for a fight and then tell everyone what the guy is doing in training.  But, if I were putting money on the fight it would not be on Edgar.  Edgar is favored at -1050.  Penn is at +550.  Obviously I would favor Edgar in the fight but those lines are pretty crazy. 

Always crack me up when guys in the turtle position bitch about a fight being stopped too quickly.  If you are not getting hurt and in control then do something besides taken about 8 or 9 punches in the head

Although "Beast 25/8" is a terrible nickname 

This was the UFC's equivalent of watching Johnny Unitas play for the Chargers or Joe Namath playing for the Rams both when their careers was way behind them desperately hanging on getting the crap beat out of them  

A sad ending to the weekend to be honest

Guest Edwin

I can't believe people actually buy into the hype of old, past their prime fighters coming back and dominating like they once did considering how short fighters primes are and how much the younger fighters coming up develop.

I can't believe people actually buy into the hype of old, past their prime fighters coming back and dominating like they once did considering how short fighters primes are and how much the younger fighters coming up develop.

Did anyone buy into the hype though?  I was texting my brother before the event, inquiring why Penn was continuing to tarnish his legacy, and my brother replied that after the fight Dana would have to give Penn the "Chuck Liddell" talk.  And we are just casual fans.  I don't think anyone that follows MMA at all was expecting Penn to come out of this looking good.  I mean UFC had to sell it like it was going to be a close competitive fight but I sure as hell wasn't expecting it to be.  I assumed it would be a 50-45 decision but the outcome that did happen didn't surprise me either.

Sadly, one of the people who falls for it over and over again is Dana White.

Guest Edwin

Did anyone buy into the hype though?

There's a ton of hardcore fans who always fall for this type of comeback talk. How they haven't noticed the outcome is always the same is beyond my imagination.

George Foreman and Vitali Klitschko are the only successful examples of a retired fighter coming back and winning the title again that I can think of...