DVDVR Message Board

How Often Do You Think About Wrestling?

Whenever I hear the opening chords to "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I say "Self High Five." I associate the song more with DDP than anything else. Same with any wrestling theme song or song that was ripped off for a wrestling theme song. 

• Like 5

I often hear songs and try to figure out whether or not they could be wrestler themes.  I've even gone as far as to put them in WWE 2K14 to see if they would work.  It is a far more tricky than I expected, some songs that you believe would work absolutely don't, and some, that you'd think wouldn't work at all work really well.  Songs that are based off loops seem to work because that walk is shorter than you think.  So if the song starts too slowly or changes too much it just won't work, because the wrestler is in the ring before the song gets going.

An addition here: I was at a bar last night that happened to have ROH on the bar TVs. I don't think it was intentional at all. I drunkenly decided to trying to start an ROH chant was an appropriate thing to do. My friends quickly moved to quiet me. 

• Like 2

Constantly. I am often remembering angles, inventing gimmicks, coming up with finishers and most importantly, correlating thee rasslings with other culture. I especially do this when seeing other forms of public entertainment and performance. I can fill up a notebook in a month with musing, meanderings and genius-level innovations & observations.

Case in point: I was at my daughter's school-wide dance recital (K thru 4), a dreary and saccharine ordeal, surrounded by iPhone wielding helicopter moms, kvelling grandmas and loutish mooks. I started re-booking the whole thing (why were they beginning with the ballet themed second graders that's a terrible opener, you could bring the back up with this line dancing spot, etc). The kindergartners were like the midgets, strictly comedy (which is good), but a few kids actually had talent. Make a territory, they could puts asses in seats on a circuit - I would give them a push. As this thing dragged on I was booking run-ins. Hell, this is South Philly, most of these fat kids are no Fred Astaires, they gotta get hardcore, that'll pop the marks/parents. I amuse myself.

unfit parent or misanthropic neo-Watts (or both)?,

RAF

• Like 1

Like everyone else, the answer is too much. Doesn't help that I've incorporated "insider terminology" into my everyday vocabulary.

For instance?

Please don't say the word "gimmick." Even when wrestlers use it, it sounds forced.

When I go take a number 2, I often think of TNA. Helps my bowels flow easier.

Other than that, I call one of my managers Stone Cold. My wrestling life is completely separate from the rest of my life. Compartmentalization is key guys.

That song makes me think of Grado whenever I hear it now, so you are not alone. Hell, "Thriller" came on the radio today at work, and all I could think of was L.A. Park dancing down to ringside.

• Like 1

I went to lunch today at the Cheesecake Factory(not my choice) at an extremely nice mall, and as we're leaving some guy comes in with a denim shirt with the sleeves cut off and all I could think of was the time when Aaron Neville sat at ringside at that random WCW show(was that Bash at the Beach 1996?).  I didn't think about "Tell it like it is,"  "I Don't Much," or "Hercules."  I only thought about the time Aaron Neville was sitting at ringside next to Dusty Rhodes at a wrestling show.

Oh yeah, I also remember winning a game of pool in the absolute jammiest way possible and after being slagged about it, I busted out the old Arn Anderson promo line 'people don't ask how you won, they ask IF you won.'

Such a nerd. I don't care though, that line is magnificent.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Random

Was at a cookout Monday night and met a girl from Battle Creek, Michigan.

She was impressed that I knew where that was.

I owe wrestling a lot of credit for familiarizing me with random cities in America

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I chose my career path because of the Undertaker and Paul Bearer. Yeah, I'd say I think about wrestling just a bit.

You sick bastard, no wonder I like you... I'm not going to say that Kevin Sullivan in Florida set me on my career path, but it sure didn't hurt any. 

FWIW: When I was playing professional darts, I was the greatest heel the game has ever seen ;-) Yeah, I was only top-100 in the US so there were hundreds of players worldwide that could destroy me in a match, but ain't nobody could cut a promo like Dr. Dart. ;-) For the majors it's required that you wear a shirt with collar and sleeves, which much to my irritation prevented me wearing my Christopher Daniels Fallen Angel tee. So what did I do? Simple, showed up in scrubs and a lab coat with "Dr. Dart" on the back, you think that didn't get heat? Heh-heh.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I chose my career path because of the Undertaker and Paul Bearer. Yeah, I'd say I think about wrestling just a bit.

I had no idea there was that much demand for a clothing store that caters mostly to obese men and men over 7 feet tall.

24 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I had no idea there was that much demand for a clothing store that caters mostly to obese men and men over 7 feet tall.

That would be Casual Male and Destination XL.

No offense to anyone but it's not till you hear someone else calling everything a gimmick and everyone a mark and other terms like them that you realize how much you, in fact ,are the mark and sound stupid doing it. 

Now quoting wrestling like movie's i'm all for like breaking out the kings and queens dusty line or in the south particularly getting a few lines off from the Austin 3:16 promo about a person thumping their bible and so on. 

What's really fun is telling a sales staff that failed to meet quota the "Adversity introduces a man to himself" promo courtesy of AA.