DVDVR Message Board

What are the WORST films you have seen?

Niners Fan in CT

I didn't want to limit the discussion to just one because for many of you that would be far too difficult. You don't have to name five or ten either. There are no guidelines here. Now let me talk a little bit about why I created this thread. The weather on the east coast has been dreadful... I have watched a ton of movies on Netflix over the last couple weeks. I've seen plenty of crap but last night struck a nerve.

The movie was called Megan is Missing. I was a little worried when I read the synopsis because any movie dealing with abduction is tough to take but I thought I'd give it a watch because it was listed under "Horror" so in my mind the plot could go in a number of directions. So this is another "found footage" movie. It blends webcam with cell phone footage and other. Right at the start I'm already shaking my head. These two girls who are supposed to be 13 and 14-years old (and they look it) are talking about partying and sexual encounters in graphic detail and it does not stop. It goes way above and beyond "raising awareness". There is never a reason to watch a 13-year old girl talk in graphic detail about what giving blowjobs is like. Then we get to the abduction. It doesn't matter how they were abducted really, the director was more concerned with showing us graphic rape and torture scenes with the young girls (I guess the kidnapper/killer is recording this shit) and when they are finally put out of their misery they are buried and the killer lives happily ever after. Bullshit. The director set up the entire scenario to show us that these things will happen if your daughter is "slutty" and that parents need to take more control... right.. lets blame them instead of placing the blame on the fucking monsters that are actually committing these atrocities. Fuck this movie and the hack who made it.

• Like 1

MAC & ME. A child is brought back to life by a sip of COCA-COLA for fuck's sake.

Along the lines of HIGHLANDER 2: JASON GOES TO HELL: THE FINAL FRIDAY. I know the Ft13th series isn't high art, but seriously FUCK THIS MOVIE.

I once legit owned a copy of F.A.R.T.: The Movie as a kid, which is a pretty strong contender. Though it's one of those "films made by people that aren't really film makers" bad movies. It's virtually a lost film at this point. Which is for the best. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369417/

Mesa of Lost Women is bad beyond description. It's also in the public domain so you can torture yourself watching in on Youtube at your leisure in legal safety. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046066/

A lot of the lowest ranked things on my Flickchart are comedies that failed to make me laugh at all. Of those the one that I both found unfunny and also quite offensive was Adam Sandler's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, which is just... uh, never mind.

Worst high budget film: Catwoman is really, really bad.

The 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie seems to have been designed specifically as a middle finger to nerds everywhere, on top of it just flat out sucking ass, so that's awfully close. I might actually say that was the worst high budget real film, if you put a gun to my head.

There are also a lot of really old sci-fi movies that are so bad it's hard to believe they are real films. If you've ever watched really boring, bad 40's or 50's sci-fi, then you've seen some real contenders that all blur together into one terrible film in your mind.  I mean Ed Wood made shit but they often had moments that were too funny to qualify as worst films ever made. Bad silent films are also an indescribable form of torture if you've never been there.

I hate Saw more than all of those things, even if it's not that badly made. But it is batting 0-for-166 on my Flickchart. It goes without saying I've skipped all the torture-horror films after it in the last few years, because it's... just not for me.

1973's MEDUSA is bad by any defintion.  A dreadful film starring George Hamilton as a playboy (what else would he be?) who's in for big cash to the mob.  Poorly acted, badly written, and the Romeo & Juliet implications between Hamilton and his on-screen sister is just nasty. Only the Greek landscape comes off good in this one.  AWFUL! :(

Xanadu was the first movie I ever saw where I said to myself, "Self, this isn't a very good movie." I was 7.

I like Xanadu for the kitsch value. Same w the Sgt Pepper movie.And ELO.

Oh, the soundtrack (and accompanying set-pieces) was easily the best part of that.

I took my Dad to see Ghost Dad for Father's Day. I apologized after and he still hasn't forgiven me!

Though that wasn't as bad as the "Happy Birthday Dad! We're seeing Robocop 2!" fiasco

James

• Like 2

Xanadu was the first movie I ever saw where I said to myself, "Self, this isn't a very good movie." I was 7.

Reminds me of seeing TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES III in theatres. I don't think I've seen it since.

Are we allowed to count no-budget, shot-on-shitteo amateur efforts which somehow sleazed their way into an unbelievable commercial release?  The kind of stuff which is so wretchedly cheap and unwatchable that it doesn't even make it into Walmart's clearance bin?  Because my list would be rather different if so.  (But either way, I've got a LONG list that I'll write up later.)

Silent Night, Deadly Night ruined horror movies around Christmas movies for me. My family knows I am into weird/cheesy slasher movies and humored me by watching this with me one Christmas Eve like seven years ago. After it was over we were all pissed and put on cartoons like normal people. It's boring and terrible.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which I went to see with my brother who is obsessed with all-things Transformers, had me laughing in the theatre at the plot. If you were going to blow up the sun, why would you put the gun on the 3rd furthest planet away? Why did The Fallen wait two years to initiate the plan if it knew about Sam and everything else? None of that shit made sense.

Cannibal Holocaust remains the only film I regret watching, but that's for the animal cruelty more than anything.

I saw Balls of Fury on a date because we misread the time for the flick we actually wanted to see. I think we broke up not too long after.

Oh man. Both NACHO LIBRE & NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE are spectacularly awful. I'm glad NL seems tto have killed that creative team's career.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is boring as fuck, but still has one of the best endings ever.

Megashark vs. Crocosaurs staring Jaleel White pretty much broke my brain it was so bad.

Manos: The Hands of Fate remains unwatchable without the MST3K crew.

Dark Knight Rises might be one of the worst Big Budget movies I've ever seen.

I don't get what was so special about Brokeback Mountain.  

You all can get the hell out of here with that Mac and Me hate. I still own the VHS, have seen it more time than I could count, and love that movie. It helps that I saw it before E.T. and that I love McD's and Diet Coke.

How can you not love a dance number in the middle of a fast food restaurant? With a football team?

AND THE SUPER CUTE OLDER SISTER?

Nerds.