DVDVR Message Board

[Remedial Wrestling] #1: Misawa/Kawada and Friends

Matt D

Because of the time of the year - I am bumping this.

Also - I continue to work on a second one but finding something that doesn't require me to upload all the matches is a challenge...

I swear I had started work on a Flair/Steamboat 89 one, because a surprising amount of the young people hadn't seen it, footage was generally available. I even had a great guest lecturer and and everything, but that was so many months ago now. I had to go and give myself a 3 Match a Week schedule at Segunda Caida and actually start doing a lot of work at work and spend all my time at home with a toddler, etc. etc. 

Ultimately, I blame lucha.

I've been thinking about doing one of these with just the six-man tags between Misawa/Kawada/Kobashi/Kikuchi and Jumbo/Taue/Fuchi/Ogawa, but the problem is that there is only so much you can say about a series of great matches.  There are two matches that are absolutely head and shoulders above all the rest, but the rest are all around ****1/2.  You know how hard it is to differentiate between six or seven ****1/2 matches?  If there were some that were ***1/2 or *** I'd be able to describe what didn't work as much as the better match, but they are all great matches for the same exact reasons.  Everyone has their role and they play it beautifully, but those roles don't really change from match to match.  Have you ever gone out to eat with a picky eater and they ask you what something tastes like?  That is kind of what trying to describe this matches is like, I can try to describe them, but sitting down and watching them yourself is the only real way to know why they're so great.

I'd just like to say that the name of this thread made me think that Misawa and Kawada had their own saturday morning kids show.

Like Kids Super Hour w/ Shazam... just stiffer

James

Looking on Youtube, we could run with Flair/Steamboat period. There's two different All Japan matches that I've never even watched and a ton of tags, even ancient Mid-Atlantic footage with no sound.

There are sometimes - with this board - if I don't have to just do Rock/Austin

I completely endorse this endeavor.

Looking on Youtube, we could run with Flair/Steamboat period. There's two different All Japan matches that I've never even watched and a ton of tags, even ancient Mid-Atlantic footage with no sound.

There are sometimes - with this board - if I don't have to just do Rock/Austin

I completely endorse this endeavor.

Finding all of those 89 House Show Flair/Steamboat matches would be fun. I've only seen one of them, and Flair and Steamboat both said they had better matches during the house show run.

This thread necromancy has me watching 6-9-95 for the first time in at least 10 years.  God, I still get so hyped when Kobashi irish whips Kawada into a stiff ass straight kick to Misawa's face.  It's really impressive how much of a controlled car crash this whole thing is.  It's got the energy and insanity and chaos of some WWE matches with 6-8-10 guys + plunder, except it's just 4 guys and a regular ring.

Holy Demon Army 4 Life.

• Like 1

Given the footage we have now it should be a great introduction to heated '80s lucha with a strong rudo presence, thematically, but people don't cotton to lucha for whatever reason

EDIT: In other words, if you liked Holy Demon Army vs. the All Japan golden boys then watch this and compare and contrast. It's something I might do today at some point myself just for fun. As of right now it's too damn late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidIDa2LpXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTC4zVryIUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDtc5ergRo

Now THAT'S "Remedial Wrestling"! Know or just fuck off.