DVDVR Message Board

Raw 6-23-14 - Historic Episode # 1,100

MGFanJay

Guys, over the last two weeks something special has begun to happen.  With the Breakdown of The Shield, two of the three members have been freed to express their passion, their fear, their rage and terror and, yes, their love...

...through clothing.

Now Seth Rollins has little control over his inner fembot and has charged headlong into a rapidly slenderized ensemble that will, as soon as he gets the hang of it, result in a remarkably unsettlingly and enticing half-drag burlesque act:

4518_1r12_05_01_violet_133.jpg

So far he's struggling to get it right, as this candid shot from before RAW demonstrates:

Antony_Rizzi_La_Chapelle_379x286.jpg

keep working on it, Seth!

Dean Ambrose, on the other hand, is a character who clings to his past relationships and counts loyalty as the greatest of human qualities.  Thus he will only gradually shed the layers and pockets and leather and black that defined him and remind him of his old crew.  But the transformation is happening, people. Slowly but inexorably.  And so I give you:

The Evolution of Dean:

Last week Dean stuck close to his beloved origin look.  He actually wore the same damn black t-shirt he always had under all that stuff.  All that changed was the lightening of the pants:

20140616203740.jpg

He also added a black leather jacket (not pictured), a reduction of his original shield gear that he can't yet bear to leave behind.

But this Week he inched a littler further away, like a baby fox exploring the world around his mother's den, furtively but excited:

c905ac334837744.jpg

Baby steps, Dean!

The pattern is clear and I think at this point we can project the upcoming transformations and perhaps even theorize an end point.  Based on our experts and computer programs we can confidantly outline the following trends in the coming calendar year:

Money In the Bank:

m6oj3dxse8k_Axo_Qf_RISx_Biw.jpg

Battleground:

stock_photo_young_man_in_leather_jacket_

SummerSlam:

il_340x270_394509985_dx84.jpg

Night of Champions:

il_340x270_504453605_l8t5.jpg

Hell in a Cell

il_340x270_498943696_ou0t.jpg

And the Final Manifestation of Pure Ambrose for Survivor Series:

Free_shipping_EMS_Russia_Winter_2013_Wom

Do I dare recall Dean rocking a hoodie several times during his Shield run? I especially remembering thinking the hoodie/swinging the US championship like it was his d was a pretty badass look.

Will babyface Dean ever wear an earring?

• Like 1

Do I dare recall Dean rocking a hoodie several times during his Shield run? I especially remembering thinking the hoodie/swinging the US championship like it was his d was a pretty badass look.

I for one miss the turtleneck, Deathstar guard look they floated for a hot minute:

ambrose5_crop_north.jpg

• Like 1

Bo Dallas was absolute money tonight.

Okay, I just watched the Bo Dallas/Titus stuff. His character's really starting to take off. It's so ridiculously sublime and entertaining.

The matches though.  And that finisher.  That stuff needs to get fixed.

If everyone loves all your stuff you do before the match and after the match...but can't sit through the match...

You are Alicia Fox.

He's still wearing earrings.

Digging the Reigns stuff, but something about it feels a bit nefarious in a "face of the WWE/we can finally ditch that pesky Bryan and do what we wanted all along" type of way.

Oh an quit fucking pretending that it was just Steph and Vickie couldn't have broken out the Guerrero stuff and gotten over at any time. That lady owns the crowd. And her little shit-covered kiss to the heavens got a super "awwwww" outta this household.

Bo Dallas was absolute money tonight.

Okay, I just watched the Bo Dallas/Titus stuff. His character's really starting to take off. It's so ridiculously sublime and entertaining.

The matches though.  And that finisher.  That stuff needs to get fixed.

If everyone loves all your stuff you do before the match and after the match...but can't sit through the match...

You are Alicia Fox.

He was perfectly fine in-ring in NXT.

Did you see his various meltdowns when getting kicked out of NXT? He could be even worse in-ring than the Ding Dongs if he gets to say stuff like "I'll call campus security!"

Ambrose f'n rules. That dude's the next big thing if they catch lighting in the bottle. Bryan is our everyman -- a wrestler who would go to Wizard's World on his own volition. Ambrose is the bad kid in school all the teachers and parents were afraid of, but he'd whip the hell out of the jock rich kid bully who was messing with some helpless geek. Reigns is an action movie hero on the cusp of his big break.

He's THIS guy:

• Like 3

Ambrose f'n rules. That dude's the next big thing if they catch lighting in the bottle. Bryan is our everyman -- a wrestler who would go to Wizard's World on his own volition. Ambrose is the bad kid in school all the teachers and parents were afraid of, but he'd whip the hell out of the jock rich kid bully who was messing with some helpless geek. Reigns is an action movie hero on the cusp of his big break.

Holy crap I missed this part of your post.  This is great.  Remember when they were heels, Dean was:

inde0_439658x.jpg

But now as a babyface...in the exact same movie, he's

MSDSTBY_EC002_H.jpg

Which if nothing else, makes you see STAND BY ME differently when you realize how easy it would be for Chris to turn into Ace.

• Like 3

Great sendoff for Vickie, loved getting the old Eddie theme. Awesome sudden face turn there. Bo Dallas ruled.. laughed out loud when he started off with "hey buddy" then getting the mic knocked away. Barrett/Ziggler was real fun, spectacular finish. Enjoyed the Rollins/RVD/HHH stuff. Ambrose continues to come off like a star and Reigns was excellent tonight as well. Pretty good main event, glad the Demon got added to MITB. With the PPV just having 4 matches, I guess they'll add Big E/Rusev and maybe Rybaxel vs Goldust & Stardust again.

Boy, they should probably not put Cameron on commentary again with the only direction being "Make sure to mention that Naomi didn't help you the other night went you got beaten".  I swear she repeated that story at least three times (Once, fairly unprompted, then Cole asked her the leading question, and she gave the same answer, then she brought it up once more). I can just see Vince backstage going "Okay, let's not do THAT again."

Also, I got a good laugh out of Sheamus and Roman standing side-by-side in a room, but not speaking to each other until the cameras come on and Reigns seeming surprised by it all.

He's THIS guy:

There's not enough likes in the world for this. Ambrose is Rudy all grown up.

Wade might be the most improved guy they've had in a while. He went from boring, tho compentent enough matches I guess, to being so damn good. Most of the stuff he does revolves around having a counter for everything and kicking the guy as hard as he can. Imagine if this was the guy we were getting in the Nexus? Holy hell..

Umm, what the hell was that move Steph trying to do before she pushed Vickie into the mud? Either way, we need Vince back on TV. :(

Someone told me Cody as Stardust was more like Jim Carrey than Cody Rhodes. I can't unsee it. But damn, is he creepy like the guy you don't go into an alley if it's just him in the alley.

The PPV looks to be good.

While I kind of had that fear that Dean and Seth would be in trouble after the split, I'm thinking they're going to be fine.  Ambrose has been bringing the heat with his promos and I think the pissed off ass kicker/brawler that worked for Austin can work for Ambrose.

Piranesi, please break this down. This is AWESOME.

Watching this Bo reminds me of one of those SNL guys who seems really unfunny on SNL and then you look up his improv he used to do at smaller clubs and he's amazing.  But the stage on RAW is just too big and inflexible to make that stuff work.  NXT is like Largo and RAW is like 30 Rock.  Bobby Moynihan is like a genius at Largo. This is not just Bo's problem, but so many other NXT people (just like at SNL).

But...there was...someone else there...

Batista trying to do the Shawn Michael's "play with the crowd chants and hang out for awhile" comes across like the manager of a pharma sales company handing out raffle awards at a branch unity retreat.  It is also amazing that he is resting against the ropes after leading crowd chants. 

But the fact that he bought a replica Quint-from-JAWS hat fixes everything...if he can just suppress the collector's impulse to preserve its grade and flatten it out a bit.  He won't though.  That thing is going right back in its packaging and never being worn again.

• Like 2

Personally, I see Ambrose as Dally Winston from The Outsiders. 

Chris Chambers ain't crazy. Ace is a scumbag, but he's also just a cheap, dime-store hood. 

Dally Winston ran game on Cherry Valance. He jumped into a burning building to save his friends, then threatened to kill them if they ever did something that stupid again. Then he flipped his shit, knocked off a liquor store, and went down in a hail of cop bullets 'cuz his surrogate little brother died. 

• Like 2

Ambrose is the Fonz after he left the Falcons, but without the Cunninghams to make him sweet. Or Lenny after Laverne broke his heart and he took her L to spell Lone Wolf on his jacket. But with a violent reaction.

edit: Or Squiggy, after dealing with rejection from Shirley time after time, losing his shit and kicking some ass.

• Like 6

Am I the only one who totally forgot about ADR? There was the bland backstage squabble with him and Heyman/Cesaro and I thought "Hm. Totally forgot about him." Then Cesaro said something about not speaking loser and I groaned.

That's what I get for skipping main events, I suppose.

That was bad.  As was Reigns "4 on 3? I think they need more guys."

Roman needs to work on that chatter. 

Meanwhile Dean made the word "Darn" work...like, he screamed "I'm GONNA' RUIN YOUR WHOLE DARN PAY PER VIEW!!!"

That's something, man.