DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 43: Te Huna vs. Marquardt (6/28/2014) - Auckland, New Zealand (Vector Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

ufc-aussie-poster_medium.jpg

UFC Fight Night 43: Te Huna vs. Marquardt

June 28, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand (Vector Arena)

James Te Huna (186) vs. Nate Marquardt (186) - Marquardt, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:34)

Soa Palelei (264) vs. Jake Rosholt (259) - Rosholt, DEC (unanimous)

Hatsu Hioki (146) vs. Charles Oliveira (145) - Oliveira, SUB (modified Anaconda choke), R2 (4:32)

Robert Whittaker (171) vs. Mike Rhodes (171) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Jake Matthews (156) vs. Dashon Johnson (155) - Matthews, SUB (triangle choke), R3 (3:16)

Richie Vaculik (125.5) vs. Roldan Sangcha-an (125) - Vaculik, DEC (unanimous)

Chris Indich (170) vs. Vik Grujic (171) - Grujic, TKO (punches), R1 (4:55)

Neil Magny (171) vs. Rodrigo de Lima (169) - Magny, KO (punch), R2 (2:32)

Dan Hooker (145) vs. Ian Entwistle (145.5) - Hooker, TKO (elbows), R1 (3:34)

Gian Villante (205.5) vs. Sean O'Connell (205) - Villante, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Performance of the Night: Nate Marquardt

Fight of the Night: Gian Villante vs. Sean O'Connell

Attendance: 8,089

Gate: $913,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Cláudio Henrique da Silva vs. Neil Magny - Injury to Silva 

Jon Delos Reyes vs. vs. Richie Vaculik - Injury to Delos Reyes

Gian Villante vs. Anthony Perosh - Injury to Perosh (Knee)

Guest Edwin

I remember the days when Hioki was considered a fop featherweight in the world and then he signed with the UFC and that feel apart quickly which sucked.

Turned out to be a decent card.  Oliveira handed Hioki the first stoppage loss of his career.  I think every one of Oliveira's UFC wins has been by submission now.  Hopefully this moves him up the rankings.

Guest Edwin

If you ain't from New Zealand, what the fuck are you bitching about?

...?

As much as I like Hioki, I think it's time to go back to Japan and fight for Shooto and VTJ for a while before hanging them up.

As much as I like Hioki, I think it's time to go back to Japan and fight for Shooto and VTJ for a while before hanging them up.

Just got done watching that fight. Hioki was dominating positionally. He just got caught napping. You can't do that against a fighter who is almost a clone of your style albeit more sloppy in terms of regaining/playing guard. His chances of winning that round went from 99.9% to 0.000001% in the matter of a few seconds.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

This event was great for making money... Can anyone explain why Marquardt was the underdog?

Getting your legs turned into hamburger meat by Tarec and getting you head knocked off by Lombard and Ellenberger > getting choked out by Glover and getting put to sleep by Shogun.

Not sure if that makes sense, but you get the gist.

Yeah but those guys that beat Nate beat Te Huna 9/10 times... If it weren't for the whole let's use Te Huna for New Zealand/Australia Id be pretty certain that they'd cut him although they cut Sotiropoulos so I guess they could cut Te Huna and move forward with Whittaker

Te Huna coming down from 205? I dunno. He got caught by a knee like a minute in and that negated any size advantage he might have had. Turns out Marquardt is also like 20x better than him on the ground.

• Like 1

This event was great for making money... Can anyone explain why Marquardt was the underdog?

Marquardt had three straight losses, two of which were knockouts.  Te Huna had only two.  And he did recently have a 5-0 run at light heavyweight and he was moving down.  He was probably seen as having the advantage over Marquardt who was kind of looking like damaged goods and at the end of his career at this point.