DVDVR Message Board

2014 G1 Climax

Ryan

Well, we're pretty cool with Brock crushing Cena...so at least we're consistent. 

Does anyone think that Styles keeps the belt until the Dome show? 

That seems to be what everyone's been thinking since he beat Okada in Yokohama.

Saw this in the Observer:

"Tickets for the finals on 8/10 at the 33,000-seat Seibu Dome in Tokorazawa, which is about an hour North of Tokyo, are not expected to sell out, but nobody ever expected that in the first place. A crowd of more than 18,000 would be considered a major success. This is the first G-1 finals not at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, where the show in its early years and in recent years would sell out the 11,066 seats well in advance.

For the finals, the $199, $150 and $88 tickets are sold out. But the other ticket categories, which are $102, and the back of the second deck and entire third deck from $73 down to $34 are still available."

Well, we're pretty cool with Brock crushing Cena...so at least we're consistent. 

"Tickets for the finals on 8/10 at the 33,000-seat Seibu Dome in Tokorazawa, which is about an hour North of Tokyo, are not expected to sell out, but nobody ever expected that in the first place. A crowd of more than 18,000 would be considered a major success. This is the first G-1 finals not at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, where the show in its early years and in recent years would sell out the 11,066 seats well in advance.

For the finals, the $199, $150 and $88 tickets are sold out. But the other ticket categories, which are $102, and the back of the second deck and entire third deck from $73 down to $34 are still available."

Typhoon #11 is coming this weekend . If it goes it's projected path it will hit Kyushu tomorrow and cross Honshu over the weekend. Saitama looks like it's at the very edge of the typhoon but one never knows.

Typhoon #11 is coming this weekend . If it goes it's projected path it will hit Kyushu tomorrow and cross Honshu over the weekend. Saitama looks like it's at the very edge of the typhoon but one never knows.

From what I saw on the forecasts, it looked like Saitama was going to get spared the worst of it. At least that's how it looked to me. Wonder what they'd do about the show if shit hits the fan?

Day 10 was another skipper for me.  Ishii vs Shibata was good, but clearly not as good as their previous two.  I will blame most of that on Ishii's injury, though.  Otherwise, I like Tanahashi vs Nagata, but it was another show that felt like everyone was doing their "house show" match.

I'm personally hoping for a Nakamura/Styles final.

I actually liked that Shibata/Ishii match more than the King of Pro Wrestling one.

NJPW site updated, here's the match order tomorrow:

1. G1 Climax – Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs. Shelton Benjamin
2. G1 Climax – Block B: Toru Yano vs. Yujiro Takahashi
3. G1 Climax – Block B: Hirooki Goto vs. Lance Archer
4. G1 Climax – Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs. Karl Anderson
5. G1 Climax – Block A: Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii
6. G1 Climax – Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Doc Gallows
7. G1 Climax – Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bad Luck Fale
8. G1 Climax – Block B: Togi Makabe vs. AJ Styles
9. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
10. G1 Climax – Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki

So Tanahashi wins the A Block, Okada wins the B Block. Nakamura and AJ wind up in the second place match.

Day 9 was generally flat but I thought that Styles/Anderson was a great match.  Styles has been putting on the most consistently good matches in the entire tournament.  I knew he was good of course but he seems to be able to put on a good match with just about everyone he goes up against.

I fucked up which day the 8th show was on and have been catching up ever since glare.gif

Oh Osaka how i love you. Osaka crowds are always on fire

NJPW, 03.08.2014 (Day 8)

Ishii/Smith Jr: Good start to the show, blended well. probably Smith's best of the tournament not sure how Ishii finished the match.
Tenzan/Yano a typical Yano match with a fun finish.
Nagata/Benjamin This shocked me how good it was, it's not MOTYC level just a surprise to see these guys click. Benjamin on another level from his showing last year.
Kojima/Gallows Decent
Goto/Naito: Poor Naito, Osaka just fucking hates him tongue.png Fine but expected more.
Styles/Archer: fine, didn't do alot for me.
Makabe/Suzuki: Good match with some great spots, Makabe finally doesn't look in pain.
Honma/Shibata Oh fuck me was this great. Crowd on FIRE. MOTN
Okada/Yujiro Fine, passable for Yujiro.
Tanahashi/Nakamura Good match, down from their matches earlier in the year, great last 5 minutes.

It's not a shock to anyone but another very good show.

----------------------------------

NJPW, 04.08.2014 (Day 9)

Honma/Smith Jr After Ishii/Smith maybe i expected too much from this. It's ok
Archer/Yujiro: as much as i'm going to leave the G1 more positive towards Archer, this wasn't good. skip it.
Nagata/Gallows It's ok. skippable.
Makabe/Tenzan: At this point i was starting to think it's a "lets take it easy day" this confirmed it.
Naito/Suzuki: Finally a good match.
Shibata/Fale: this started well but BOOOOOOOO!!!! crowd summed it up perfectly
Kojima/Nakamura decent, had it's moments but not as good as expected. both looking knackered.
Styles/Anderson not a fan, they go for indy epic and...i bored very quickly. some will like this but it's the sort of match that leaves me cold.
Tanahashi/Benjamin: Decent. again the tour looks to be catching up with them.
Okada/Goto Very easily MOTN, probably wouldn't be in the top 10 for the tournament but the highlight of the show.

At this point, the worst show of the tour.

For long term puro fans. the way the arena is set up and how shit the crowd are i thought this was a BJW Yokohama Bunka show.

For newer fans: crowd too far from the ring, small quiet crowd in a big building.

To save me saying "it's a day off" and "they look tired" this is the worst show of the tour. it's not bad but it was a struggle to sit though at times.

NJPW, 06.08.2014 (Day 10)

Kojima/Honma short but decent
Smith Jr/Fale SKIP
Tenzan/Naito Decent
Suzuki/Anderson Fine
Makabe/Yano SKIP
Styles/Yujiro: a struggle. Styles worst match of the tour.
Okada/Archer MOTN at this point and it was decent at best
Tanahashi/Nagata good match. MOTN.
Ishii/Shibata when does wrestling go too far with being stiff? i don't know if Ishii's injury coming in put me off the ridiculous stiffness but it didn't work for me. Some will probably love it. i'll maybe rewatch it in a few days (finished watching it a hour before typing this) and see if i change my mind. just went too far personally. I loved their matches last year, LOVED them.
Nakamura/Gallows: expected a crap match but passable in the end.

Speaking of the Yokohama Bunka Arena, tomorrows show is there.

--

I predicted on twitter a Okada vs Tanahashi final after day 9, after day 10 i'll be surprised if it's not them.

Nakamura vs Okada would be a very dumb move, giving away your biggest (never happened before) match with so little build up. Are they that crazy? they did put Fale in the final of the NJ Cup this year so who knows..

Doc Gallows vs. Bad Luck Fale: Worst match of the whole tournament. i live tweet as i watch (no idea why) and described it as this generations Giant Silva vs Giant Singh. It's not as bad as that but it is rubbish.

Wait, what?

Silva vs. Singh was great!

:D i guess even shit has fans. Adam Sandler still has a career etc

Nakamura vs Okada would be a very dumb move, giving away your biggest (never happened before) match with so little build up. Are they that crazy? they did put Fale in the final of the NJ Cup this year so who knows..

Well...it actually HAS happened before---in a G1, no less!

NJPW, 8/5/12 (WPW/iPPV)

Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium

6,500 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

7. G1 Climax - Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura [4] beat Kazuchika Okada [4] (16:16) with the Boma Ye.

NJPW, 8/5/12 (WPW/iPPV)

Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium

6,500 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

7. G1 Climax - Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura [4] beat Kazuchika Okada [4] (16:16) with the Boma Ye.

Well if you want to get technical they have wrestled four times before in singles matches, but the rest were when Okada was a Young Lion.  It would be fun though to track down one of those old matches just to see the differences in Okada.  Hard to believe that Okada is still so young, seems like he has been around forever, I guess the benefit of starting to wrestle when you are 16.

1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA © vs. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish 
2. Special Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett 
3. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles
4. G1 Climax - Final: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazuchika Okada

Full card for the final day:

NJPW "G1 CLIMAX 24" (WPW/PPV/iPPV)

August 10th, 2014

Seibu Dome

1. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., TAKA Michinoku & El Desperado vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi

2. Special Six Man Tag Match: Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi

3. Special Six Man Tag Match: Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & Shelton Benjamin vs. Toru Yano, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI

4. Special Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett (w/ Maria Kanellis)

5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) © vs. reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish)

6. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomoaki Honma

7. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Karl Anderson

8. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata

9. G1 Climax 24 Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles

10. G1 Climax 24 - Final: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazuchika Okada

Plus, an appearance by GFW founder Jeff Jarrett.

Nakamura vs. Okada should be a great match, a fitting Finals.  After I watch these last two shows I will probably need to take a break from New Japan, that's more than I've ever watched of one promotion in such a short time period.  I think I am burned out :P

I eventaully need to go back and watch everything, but $160 for the whole deal was a bit steep for me.  There anywhere I can just buy a Ustream for the Final night?  I can't find it and haven't done much Ustreaming before.

I eventaully need to go back and watch everything, but $160 for the whole deal was a bit steep for me.  There anywhere I can just buy a Ustream for the Final night?  I can't find it and haven't done much Ustreaming before.

http://ustream.tv/njpwsub has the final for $25.

Is Suzuki/Okada from Night 10(?) worth a look, can anyone tell me?? Thanks in advance. Final night looks stacked.

Are you a fan of their title match from last year? If so, give it a shot.

• Like 1

NJPW, 8/5/12 (WPW/iPPV)

Ha! i must have watched it as well, pretty sure i watched most if not all of G1 that year :D

Has Meltzer mentioned they haven't had a match before recently? someone must have planted that in my head

Is Suzuki/Okada from Night 10(?) worth a look, can anyone tell me?? Thanks in advance. Final night looks stacked.

Match of the Night by a mile

NJPW, 08.08.2014 (Day 11)

Honma/Benjamin: Really shitty way to open a show, you could have heard a pin drop when Honma lost. The match was fine but Honma deserved a win. One of the stars of the tournament.

Yano/Yujiro: i can do without ever seeing them in a ring together ever again. How many times this year? ZZzz

Goto/Archer: Decent, helped get the crowd up again.

Naito/Anderson: Again decent, love the finish.

Nagata/Ishii Good match, left you wanting to see them when they're both 100%

Shibata/Gallows Fine.

Nakamura/Fale once again Nakamura gets a match out of the lump. not as good as the New Japan Cup final but good.

Makabe/Styles a match that didn't suck, a match that didn't really work but was ok in the end

Tanahashi/Smith Jr. Like the show as a whole decent, not too memorable. Have a feeling people who like Smith more than me will get more out of it though.

Okada/Suzuki The highlight of the whole show, very easily MOTN. Crowd into it more than any other match. Surprised it only went 17minutes it felt longer, not in a bad way.

We have a final then. Still think they should have held off on Nakamura/Okada, break up Chaos and have them at the dome for the title but should be a great match to finish off the G1 with.

Really shitty to see Honma not even get a single win out of the whole thing, the only guy not to win at least 4 matches. bullshit.

Seibu Dome show as a whole. First 3 matches are filler, never seen Adam Cole, Michael Bennett or Kyle O'Reilly and haven't seen Bobby Fish since his Noah days so not expecting anything. If they have anything left (SOMEONE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL ISHII TO TAKE A DAY OFF) Naito/Honma, Anderson/Ishii & Tanahashi/Styles should all be worthwhile and Shibata/Goto might steal the show.

• Like 1