DVDVR Message Board

2014 G1 Climax

Ryan

Without Pancrase MiSu would've never main evented anything. MiSu without Pancrase is like Saku without Pride. Also when MiSu started to compete in non-shoot wrestling again there were about a million workers better than him.

I'm not as big a Minoru Suzuki fan as some on here.  He has been in some great matches no doubt, but usually it requires just the right opponent.  Other times his matches for me tend to just be dull, if his opponent isn't able to 'play along' it is Suzuki going through his handful of submission spots in a non-exciting way.  For every match of his that I love, there is one that bores me to tears.  His in-ring style is so laid back at times he doesn't really show the charisma required to be at that super high level, since he is generally more of a to-the-point technician type then the type that connects with the crowd.

Final Day Results, from Stu:

PdMBYjG.jpg

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi beat Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., TAKA Michinoku  & El Desperado (6:15) when Taguchi used the Dodon on TAKA.
2. Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Yujiro Takahashi beat Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & BUSHI (8:23) when Takahashi used the Miami Shine on BUSHI.
3. Toru Yano, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI beat Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka & Shelton Benjamin (9:42) when Suzuki was DQ’d.
4. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan (10:56) when Bennett used a piledriver on Captain.
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley © beat Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish  (14:21) when KUSHIDA used the Hoverboard Lock on O’Reilly (1st defense).
6. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Tetsuya Naito beat Tomoaki Honma (8:56) with a Stardust press.
7. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Karl Anderson beat Tomohiro Ishii (9:39) with the Gun Stun.
8. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Katsuyori Shibata beat Hirooki Goto (11:16) with a PK.
9. G1 Climax Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat AJ Styles (16:24) with a cradle.
10. G1 Climax – Final: Kazuchika Okada beat Shinsuke Nakamura (23:18) with the Rainmaker.

Really looking forward to the main event, should be a great one.  I have no issues with Okada winning, he is still the young star for many many years to come and it helped set up the Tokyo Dome show (which he announced is when he will 'cash in' his shot at the IWGP Heavyweight Championship).  

Well certainly not a horrible number, I think that is the highest they have ever claimed for a G1 Climax Final.

But is it good for THE BEST EVER TOURNAMENT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF PRO WRESTLING EVER?

OH MY GOD NO THIS DESERVED 3953095320582057027502704582095892485027520572 FANS PAID NO COMPS WITH A CHONO RUN IN DURING THE MAIN EVENT WHILE TENRYU TEABAGS OKADA TO WIN THE WHOLE THING AND WE ALL SHOULD BEND OVER FOR JADO AND GEDO'S BRILLIANCE AND STUFF.

...Fuck forbid people enjoy something in modern pro wrestling. Fuck everyone who called this the greatest tournament ever. EVERY ONE OF YOU (MYSELF INCLUDED) CAN GO TO HELL BECAUSE IT'S MODERN PRO WRESTLING AND FUCK THAT AND STUFF OR JUNK IDK. STUPID MELTZER SAYING THINGS ARE GOOD DON'T YOU KNOW THIS IS THE INTERNET MOTHERFUCKER WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DAVE? CERTAINLY NOT DAVE SULLIVAN SO GET THE FUCK OUT MELTZER AND SHIT.

I have no idea what you two are talking about.

I'm assuming he was making fun of the people who are calling this the best tournament ever, so in return I decided to be an equal level jackass because people who do stuff like that annoy me to no end.

Any word on attendance?

18,000 is the official number.

Which is actually not a horrible number when you compare it to how they bombed at Yokohama Arena.

And in the end the typhoon didn't come and affect anything in the area. Aside from all the people sitting in the bleachers getting rained on.

Any word on attendance?

18,000 is the official number.

Which is actually not a horrible number when you compare it to how they bombed at Yokohama Arena.

And in the end the typhoon didn't come and affect anything in the area. Aside from all the people sitting in the bleachers getting rained on.

Poor bastards. There were a couple of times you could see outside because of how weirdly that dome is set up and you could see that the wind was blowing pretty hard. I can't imagine it was a blast sitting in those upper bleachers.

Final was really good, loved Nakamura busting out that Rainmaker counter into an armbar, that move is swank.  Okada makes sense, but my heart was thinking Nakamura.

Naito is actually pretty fun as a dick heel.  I know Honma wasn't going to win this, but c'mon....Honma HAD to win something, right?  I guess just our hearts.

Everything was pretty good on the second half of the card, otherwise.  The IWGP Jr. Tag was fun and it was funny that the camera men were unabashedly focusing on Maria's butt during the other tag.  None of that coy, sneaky stuff in Japan; right up on the big screen.

Finishing up Day 11 now and while I of course don't always agree with other people's reviews, I am for the majority of the time in line with Ultimo The Great.  Lots and lots of matches that I think are 'ok' or 'solid' or 'decent' but not a ton that rise above that.  I think between the matches not being that long and a lot of the wrestlers going through the same motions in every match, a lot just don't seem special or memorable.  There are exceptions, such as Suzuki/Styles and Shibata/Nakamura, but most of the matches just are 'good' because the wrestlers are good, not because they are really doing anything special.  

I kinda had to review all the matches since I am reviewing all events for 2014, but I think in the future I will just do what I normally do and cherry-pick the matches I hear good things about.  Watching every match started to become more of a chore by Day 11.  Looking forward to the Finals though, plan on watching that show tonight.

Well certainly not a horrible number, I think that is the highest they have ever claimed for a G1 Climax Final.

But is it good for THE BEST EVER TOURNAMENT EVER IN THE HISTORY OF PRO WRESTLING EVER?

OH MY GOD NO THIS DESERVED 3953095320582057027502704582095892485027520572 FANS PAID NO COMPS WITH A CHONO RUN IN DURING THE MAIN EVENT WHILE TENRYU TEABAGS OKADA TO WIN THE WHOLE THING AND WE ALL SHOULD BEND OVER FOR JADO AND GEDO'S BRILLIANCE AND STUFF.

...Fuck forbid people enjoy something in modern pro wrestling. Fuck everyone who called this the greatest tournament ever. EVERY ONE OF YOU (MYSELF INCLUDED) CAN GO TO HELL BECAUSE IT'S MODERN PRO WRESTLING AND FUCK THAT AND STUFF OR JUNK IDK. STUPID MELTZER SAYING THINGS ARE GOOD DON'T YOU KNOW THIS IS THE INTERNET MOTHERFUCKER WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DAVE? CERTAINLY NOT DAVE SULLIVAN SO GET THE FUCK OUT MELTZER AND SHIT.

Seriously lads you can't come off more like a group of tossers than this.

I have no idea what you two are talking about.

I'm assuming he was making fun of the people who are calling this the best tournament ever, so in return I decided to be an equal level jackass because people who do stuff like that annoy me to no end.

odessa seems to never move on from his personal feelings towards that website.

Maria knows her current role in wrestling.  I do still love her though. She used to be my favorite 'diva' back in the day, but she was more unique back then. I think now she is just the standard 'hot valet' more then an actual character.

And I assume that will be all of the trolling, I don't have a ton of powers in this forum but deleting messages is one of them.  Plus there is already a special thread for that.

If no one else is going to, once I finish up this last show I am going to be making some nominations in the Yes/No Folder.  I just have to figure out first what matches are worthy of being nominated, I had a lot of borderline ones.

The big issue with this G1 was that it was just too long. The wrestlers, online fans, and even live crowds seemed very tired. As amazed as I am that nobody got injured during the tournament, I think NJPW needs to draw the line at eight guys per block.

That is obviously incorrect. They need one giant 16-man block like an old Champion Carnival. One month long tours! The 1980 tour had 31 shows on it.