DVDVR Message Board

2014 G1 Climax

Ryan

Day 6

After 2 days back to back it seems a dogs age since i watched this, i think it was yesterday wacko.png . Makabe's still in (cheers big dave) and Tanahashi was also fine so good-good. Underwhelming day overall

Doc Gallows vs. Bad Luck Fale: Worst match of the whole tournament. i live tweet as i watch (no idea why) and described it as this generations Giant Silva vs Giant Singh. It's not as bad as that but it is rubbish.
Yuji Nagata vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr: ok nothing more. skippable
Togi Makabe vs. Yujiro Takahashi: passable, decent at best. Makabe looked in serious pain throughout
Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata Good, real good towards the end both looked exhausted.
Hirooki Goto vs. Karl Anderson: Fine match, great finishing sequence
Minoru Suzuki vs. Lance Archer It happened, skippable
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Shelton Benjamin: decent. expected more they've clicked in the past.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. AJ Styles: you wouldn't expect them to click but this ended up being pretty good. Tenzan's the surprise of the tournament
Kazuchika Okada vs. Toru Yano: ok, not essential
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii as you'd expect the best match of Day 6, not up to last years incredible match and the ending wasn't great but still very good.

=====

Day 7

Just finished watching it around half an hour ago and right now i'd say it's the best show of the tournament so far. From match 5 when the crowd go INSANE for Tenzan just a great show.

Satoshi Kojima vs. Shelton Benjamin: Had it's moments decent to good
Toru Yano vs. Lance Archer Fun match, i'll be honest and say listening to Liger enjoying every minute of it on commentary helped.
Yujiro Takahashi vs. Karl Anderson: ok
Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Doc Gallows Worst match of the show, not sure who grew bored quicker me or the crowd. they were getting the polite applause towards the end.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Hirooki Goto MUST WATCH. it's a good good match but the crowd make it a must watch. Tenzan's so over it's crazy.
Tomoaki Honma vs. Bad Luck Fale All about Honma, another good match.
Togi Makabe vs. Tetsuya Naito this will get lost amongst better matches from the show but it's damn good. Makabe's best of the G1 so far.
AJ Styles vs. Minoru Suzuki a match that should suck, a match that shouldn't work but a match where contrasting styles meet and somehow just click. Match of the night.
Yuji Nagata vs. Katsuyori Shibata Really good again, just an absolute battle.
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii fails to live up to the last two but another (have i said really good or great enough during the G1 yet?) good match with some great moments to end an epic show.

Meltzer's going to go so over the top with this show it might just finish him off. i mean sexually and then death.

Very happy to have two days of rest.

I don't think that was Liger, but the Sawyer powerslam nod was awesome just the same.

What is Tanahashi's injury (or injuries)? My friend, who rassles, said some of the ROH guys were telling him that Tana couldn't even sit down on a chair comfortably during his recent time in ROH. Sounds awful.

Just finishing up day 6 and the high end stuff isn't anywhere near as good as last year's G1 matches but it's been solid nonetheless. Styles has really impressed me with his work in general and his heel persona. Very strong showing from him so far.

Just once, though, I'd love to see somebody go for their finisher and hit it the first time. Just once.

Saw this on the Observer:
Tomohiro Ishii is believed to have suffered a separated shoulder in his match with Davey Boy Smith Jr. in Osaka. The injury was when they were doing a Frankenseiner reveral spot and Ishii landed on his shoulder. He finished the match and still used a brainbuster for the finish. Wrestlers could not believe he still did the brainbuster.

Miraculously, at this point, no wrestler has even missed one date. Ishii has tomorrow's show in Nagoya off and is scheduled to face Katsuyori Shibata on Wednesday in Takamatsu.

If Nagata vs. Shibata had been any other night it would have been match of the night, what an absolute war.  Nagata has been superb.

AJ vs. Suzuki was out of this world though, definitly match of the G1 so far for me.

Styles has changed my opinion of him completely in this run.

Doc Gallows vs. Bad Luck Fale: Worst match of the whole tournament. i live tweet as i watch (no idea why) and described it as this generations Giant Silva vs Giant Singh. It's not as bad as that but it is rubbish.

Wait, what?

Silva vs. Singh was great!

Suzuki/Styles. Big WOW. Love Suzuki stalking Styles like a fucking panther outside the ring. Love Styles taking everything Suzuki throws at him, absorbing it all and just coming back for more.

My favorite part of the whole match:

Suzuki takes the Bullet Club pose from Styles and you can see him thinking "Yeah, that finger is gonna go bye-bye" and then he just fucking destroys Styles' hand the rest of the match. Awe-inspiring.

Styles is absolutely the man and this tournament has become his giant fuck-you to TNA. Good on him. As for Suzuki, the WWE should bring him in. He can be the evil Japanese they want so badly because he has zero fucks to give about any of the Americans. Stick him with Rusev and Lana.

So who does Honma have left to face? Whose tourney is he going to ruin?

Honma's last 3 matches are DBS Jr, Kojima, and Benjamin, in that order.

Benjamin's 4-4 right now, and for him to still be in contention on the last day of the group matches (in order to get eliminated by Honma), he'd probably have to win his next match... except that's against Tanahashi.  We'll see.

If Ishii comes back Wednesday against Shibata with a seperated shoulder, he might be the biggest badass of all time.

If he can drive to and fro a la Harley Race trying to drive to a convention with a broken hip, we will have a conversation.

New Japan isn't something I watch too much of, but I do keep up with results. Based on the hype surrounding AJ/Susuki, I thought I would take a look. That was incredible.

One minor quibble I have is that Minoru should have tried to take off AJ's glove to make the finger work even more brutal than what it already was. But AJ did well and having worked Kurt Angle a lot, he would have a lot of experience coming up with a lot of unique counters and reversals as seen towards the end.

All in all, I'm glad I came into this thread to see that.

Honma's last 3 matches are DBS Jr, Kojima, and Benjamin, in that order.

Benjamin's 4-4 right now, and for him to still be in contention on the last day of the group matches (in order to get eliminated by Honma), he'd probably have to win his next match... except that's against Tanahashi.  We'll see.

I figured that had to be the idea behind the booking of Honma.  For him to go winless then totally spoil someone's tournament.  Kojima only has 6 points, right?

Oh, and fuck me, Honma vs Shibata was great.

There may be better matches on these cards, but I'm not into any match each day more than Honma's.  I echo all the great stuff said about Suzuki/AJ (and AJ, as i said before, is having a great tournament) but I actually enjoyed Fale/Honma just because the crowd wants Honma to win so bad. 

Kojima hasn't been as strong this year as he was last, and Benjamin has kind of trailed off quality-wise, basically, since he started losing matches.  

I love Davey Boy Jr., but he is such an unnatural heel.  He has that baby-face, and then he just sort of does weird hand jestures, like pantomiming drinking a beer and then I guess pouring it on the guy he's going to powerbomb?  I'm just so confused by everything he does.  

Match quality wise, I thinking DBS Jr is having a fairly good tournament.  Getting him in a singles match always reminds me how good he can actually be.  Honestly, I'm enjoying almost everyone's work this year, with really only Gallows leaving me disappointed.  Sad thing is, I really want to like Gallows, but he lays a stinker every night.

I'm running through the scenarios after Night 9.  I think that Smith is the only guy with 8 points who's still alive.  

Smith needs a miracle scenario where he ends up in a five-way tie atop Block A, with Fale, Nakamura, Shibata, Smith and Tanahashi all at 12 points.  Among that group of five, Fale and Smith are both 3-1, and Smith would win out since he would beat Fale on Night 10 in that scenario.

So in Block A, only those five guys are alive - Fale, Nakamura, Shibata, Smith and Tanahashi, with Smith just barely hanging on.  In Block B, it's just Okada, Styles and Suzuki.

If they want to keep Suzuki in the mix on Night 11, then both Styles and Okada would have to lose their Night 10 matches.  And there are scenarios where those five guys from Block A could all still be alive at the start of Night 11 as well (Nagata, Shibata, Gallows and Smith would all have to win their Night 10 matches).

By the way, that means if Honma does get a win, it would be a moral victory only.  Everyone he's facing from this point forward is already eliminated.

Just watched (and loved) Tenzan vs. Goto. Fuckin' Tenzan. I always had a huge soft spot for the guy but he is really doing a lot of good to whatever legacy he leaves behind by working his ass off during these last two G1s. Sure, I could have lived without him doing a flying headbutt after having his neck worked on the whole first half of the match, but everything else he did was awesome. Feel like he's one of those guys we'll appreciate a lot more in hindsight once he finally hangs up the boots. 

Also AJ vs Suzuki: a miracle of a match. When I read the result on paper I was picturing something like Kazuyuki Fujita vs Scott Norton but holy hell what a great fight. Ever since Meltzer started creaming over every Tanahashi/Okada match I've approached all these ultra-hyped NJPW matches with a bit of a grumpy bias, but this was the first time the match not only lived up to the hype for me, but kind of exceeded it. Don't like throwing hyperbole around but I literally "can't remember the last time I saw a match this good". I rewatched Mashimo & Madoka vs Teioh & Shinobu (from...whatever year that was, 2009?) last night just to compare the two and sure enough, I thought AJ vs Suzuki was better. Easy MOTY for me so far, although admittedly I don't watch tons and tons of stuff. 

I was kinda burned out on wrestling while watching Day 8, and my attention span was pretty much non existant, but I did like Ishii/Smith, Honma/Shibata and the main event (although I wasn't crazy about the finish to the main)

Sucks for Ishii separating his shoulder, I honestly thought he was just doing a great job selling.

Also, is Makabe's jaw really broken? I thought it looked a little swollen a few days back, but all of his matches have been centered around his opponents targeting the jaw, which seems super reckless, and makes me a little skeptical about the situation. I know John Pollock theorized it's a work. I wonder.

Just watched (and loved) Tenzan vs. Goto. Fuckin' Tenzan. I always had a huge soft spot for the guy but he is really doing a lot of good to whatever legacy he leaves behind by working his ass off during these last two G1s. Sure, I could have lived without him doing a flying headbutt after having his neck worked on the whole first half of the match, but everything else he did was awesome. Feel like he's one of those guys we'll appreciate a lot more in hindsight once he finally hangs up the boots. 

I was cracking up for shiny happy Tenzan slapping hands with people to/from the ring. I'm old and I remember when everyone in Japan despised his ass.