DVDVR Message Board

2014 G1 Climax

Ryan

Really? Idk, I liked Day 5. Thought Okada/Naito was pretty good as well as the ones you mentioned. I liked Tanahashi/Fale too, although I hear Tanahashi went to the hospital after the match due to neck problems. It'd suck if he has to miss the rest of the tournament.

Man I really wasn't feeling Okada/Naito.  I still have general apathy for Naito, and I was tired.  I may give it another look.  Naito's match with AJ was the best I've seen him in ages, because he had to spend the whole match selling.

Day 5

Ok this is getting repetitive BUT another good show, no bad matches. It took awhile for the crowd to heat up but Shibata/Benjamin onwards they were all over everything.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Doc Gallows Decent to fine, had its moments
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Lance Archer Decent again, nothing you have to see
Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. Good, tempted to say Smith's best of the tournament, Kojima's been consistently good throughout. They work very well together
Minoru Suzuki vs. Yujiro Takahashi Hugely enjoyable if you like seeing Yujiro get slapped around. i do.
Toru Yano vs. Karl Anderson very well done comedy match. Anderson's pisstaking of Yano is priceless.
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shelton Benjamin took awhile to get going but damn good by the end
Hirooki Goto vs. AJ Styles Good match. Crowd really into it by the end.
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale Excellent performance from Tanahashi in a solid match.
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomoaki Honma One or two problems aside, contender for match of the night, not a MOTYC but some great sequences, believable nearfalls and the crowd eating it all up
Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito Another MOTN contender. Always been on the side of people saying their matches are overrated but this was a great end to the show.

On a match per match basis for me its a better tournament than last year but last years best matches are smoking this years..

Makabe being out isn't a huge surprise he's looked in pain thoughout. He's looked in pain with his teeth/jaw since the Tag Title match

Really hoping Tanahashi's not out, it would be a huge blow to the tournament. Plus Ishii/Tanahashi main event Day 6 and was my MOTY last year sad.png

Shibata and Naito have huge momentum at the moment, New Japan have a real chance to make one of them sadly i still think the winner will be Nakamura or Okada. Which isn't a terrible move, have the winner beat Styles and then face each other at WK9.

That Anderson video is awesome :P

Nothing has topped day 4 from last year.  Day 5 was largely skippable.  I liked Nakamura/Honma, AJ/Goto and Shelton/Shibata.  I wouldn't consider anything else on the show must see.

I didn't even like the AJ/Goto match. That show as a whole was meh to me but I was really tired and that first half dragged so badly.

I fucking loved Naito vs Styles. 

Same. I see some people calling it good but I thought it was great and maybe my favorite match from the tournament so far. Simple story with good spots and Styles was an effective heel without having to use run-ins and the usual crap.

I've only watched four matches from this tournament thus far, but I think Naito/Styles or Homna/Ishii might be my favorites up until this point.

I did not know that Styles had this kind of heel work in him.

*popping over from the GIF Thread*

I didn't buy and haven't went hunting down the matches yet, did Shibata start doing a Go To Sleep setup for the PK???

Day 6 was pretty solid.  Liked DBS Jr/Nagata, Nakamura/Shelton and Tenzan/Styles very much.  Archer/Minoru and Yano/Okada were fun, but mostly in the sense that they were better than they had any right to be.  The low blow nearfall on the latter may have been the nearfall of the tournament.  Ishii vs Tanahashi was really good, but maybe my expectations were too high because I came away thinking it could have been better.

*popping over from the GIF Thread*

I didn't buy and haven't went hunting down the matches yet, did Shibata start doing a Go To Sleep setup for the PK???

Yes.

Watched Day 6.

I love Nakamura but I wish his matches wouldn't end with 3 Boma Yes all the time. Way too many people kick out of his finisher.

Tenzan vs Styles was very good. I really hope Tenzan gets to successfully hit a moonsault in this tournament. Kinda like I hope Honma gets one huge win. Both of those would be pretty good pay offs. 

I liked Ishii/Tanahashi except I think the end of the finishing stretch was a little disappointing. 

Utterly random question, but does anyone know if the announcers calling the matches are considered to be good? My theory is that they're awesome and that if I could understand Japanese it would only enhance the matches, but I'd also find it funny if New Japan fans consider them like we consider Tenay and Taz. 

Finished Day 6. Fun show.  Really liked Shibata v Kojima. Apparently today's Styles v Suzuki match is a MOTYC. 

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Styles during this tournament. And I was mostly indifferent towards him for a while. I'll have to rewatch it though, because while I really enjoyed it, I wasn't paying super close attention to the beginning.

Really liked Nakamura vs Ishii from today. Big fan of the finishing stretch during Makabe/Naito.

• Like 1

Fuck me, Day 7 was the best wrestling show I've seen all year.  Tenzan vs Goto, Styles vs Suzuki, Makabe vs Naito, Shibata vs Nagata and Ishii vs Nakamura were all extremely top shelf matches that you should go out of your way to see.

• Like 2

What a fight. Just a fucking brawl between AJ and Suzuki. The basic story of the match is very simple, and perfect. Minoru Suzuki really, really hates Americans and is sick of their shit. 

AJ might, right now, be the best American wrestler on the planet. 

• Like 1

Do they use tiebreakers in the blocks? Or playoff matches?

The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record in the group matches among everyone involved in the tie.  If that's irresolvable (e.g. two people are tied for top spot in a group, and their group match was a draw) then they have to do something else to make the decision.  They used a playoff match in 2003, and believe it or not, they used a coin toss in 2009.