DVDVR Message Board

Well....GODDAMMIT...I was right.

I went to the doctor this morning after the 5th shitty night of nearly no sleep due to head/chest congestion and an awful sore throat. 90 buck later he says....(drum roll please)

<RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE> (Kettle drums, you see)

"You have a viral infection. Can't really give you anything for it. Should clear up in another few days."

Fuck...

I fucking hate it when they say that. Every time my doctor tells me something should clear up "in a week or so" it takes closer to 3. I didn't pay all this money for you to tell me to wait a few weeks. Give me a fucking drug!

• Like 1

My mom's situation has gone from bad to worse.

They finally hooked her up to some antibiotics.  The doctor came to see her, followed by a surgeon.  The surgeon is recommending that she have the lower half of her right leg removed.  The infection has moved into half her foot and he's saying that she doesn't have enough tissue to support healing just by taking the foot.  Obviously, she's not handling that well.  She's not having a full-fledged fit, but she's obviously scared.  Another surgeon is coming by tomorrow.

My dad isn't the most supportive person, and I'm an only child.  So it's up to me to help a lot.  Which is fine.  But I don't know what to tell her.  I don't want her to lose her leg, but I don't want her to go under the knife more than necessary.

I know that spilling my guts here to essentially strangers isn't the healthiest thing to do.  But I need to vent somewhere.  I'm sorry if this is too heavy for anyone.

Sorry BLR. I hope things somehow get better.

I also think it's perfectly healthy to vent here. That's what this is for and many of us have kicked it here for years, like a messed up club or something.

On a lighter tone, I got my degree today In the mail and it listed me as having earned it in a different subject then what I had earned it in. GODDAMMIT!

They spelled my name wrong on mine. Yours is worse.

Unless you're like a doctor now instead of an English lit major or something

My middle name was spelled wrong on my high school diploma.

Which, really, isn't a big deal at all, but, hey, it fit the discussion.

I'll just go to a different thread now.

I'm completely in love with my new girlfriend.

Oy vey.
For fucks sake, do you ever have anything to offer than your snarky bullshit attitude?

Did you not see my new food thread? You said you've gained some weight, jump on in and tell us whats to blame. Which foods that is.

It's me again.

Talked to Daddy, and he agrees with Mom and me that having the leg removed seems extreme, especially since her ankle and foot starting looking better BEFORE giving her antibiotics and our general practitioner, while noting she would likely lose her right big toe, didn't seem to think the rest of her foot was bad.  Not to mention that they're telling her this only a few hours of starting her on antibiotics (which I had to complain to risk management about).  For all we know, the medicine may get rid of some of the infection.  I loved how the nurse I spoke with was talking about Mom's white blood cell count.  Yeah, it's high--BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT GIVING HER ANTIBIOTICS UNTIL BEING IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 24 HOURS.  Ugh. We may need to take her to another hospital.  Too soon to tell, but we don't think something is adding up.

I don't like how it went from finally giving her medicine at around 4PM, then to full amputation at 5:30 PM.  With Daddy and I not being there, either.  And the surgeon wanted to do it tomorrow.  Mom quickly said no.  I'm a little worried because we're not with her right now.  We're still going back and forth from home.  I can't imagine they'll do anything drastic before tomorrow morning.   Mom told them no surgery right now. And that surgeon isn't on call tomorrow, anyway, and they haven't signed her up for it.  So I think we're OK there.  The second surgeon will start his rounds at 7:00 AM.

We're trying to be realistic.  We had figured they'd take the toe, maybe a bit more.  But her entire lower leg?  I don't know, I'm no doctor.  But it seems excessive to us.  So we'll talk to the other surgeon tomorrow and go from there.  Daddy may cuss someone out, which I kind of hope happens.

I know many here don't pray--I'm not a huge on it myself--but please send best wishes our way.  I'm calming down a bit after talking to Daddy.  We'll try to do what's best, but we're not going to let some surgeon bully us into what feels like an extreme tactic.  I think our collective gut instinct tells us it's wrong.  So we're united.  We'll go from there.

Damn, I hope the antibiotics work and that worst case doesn't end up happening.

As for some venting, I can't stand my next door neighbors. One of them is a hoarder and she just goes around picking people's garbage for scrap. Like someone across the street had new windows put in so she took a set of the old ones...why I don't know. But there's a full frame set of windows in the alley between our houses now. Her side of the driveway has been filled with the contents of her half of the old garage for almost a year now because one day she decided to hire some people to clean it out and then knock down part of the wall. The wall was never fixed and most of the contents of the garage just stayed outside right through the winter and spring and now into the summer. Her grandson owns the house, but he doesn't care and lets her do what ever.

The upstairs neighbor I don't mind too much. But she has this cat she adopted and she lets it out all the time. So in the morning or just after the suns down I'll her hear calling it. She also leaves cat food and stuff in her yard and it attracts all the cats in the area. In the middle of the night I will hear them in the back fighting and doing what ever. Yesterday I saw one cat with one kitten. The kitten was cute and bouncing around like a pinball and all. But today I'm outside going for a walk and just as I'm leaving there's this over powering smell of cat piss.

Cat urine + summer heat = not a good combo. I don't want to be a horrible person, but I really feel like getting some cat repellant and spraying the hell out of the area to see if it actually works.

Natural, I am so sorry to hear your news. Losing a parent is such a huge and life changing loss. Hang in there and remember, time will help but for now, it's ok to be a bit of a basket case.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss, Natural.

My mother passed away in early 2006 and I still haven't really recovered from the loss.  I was living with her at the time(yup, lived the gimmick) so I had to make a lot of adjustments really quickly.

• Like 1