DVDVR Message Board

Which actor/actress will be the most difficult to replace as [insert character]

Niners Fan in CT

Problem is, so much of "X is irreplaceable" talk is because you've never seen anyone else in the role. Sometimes an actor can come into an established role and change  entirely how you think about the character.

That's a good point. And it explains why I'm going to say what I'm about to say.

I know this probably borders on heresy for many but I don't think Harrison Ford is actually that irreplaceable as Indiana Jones. And here's why - on the super deluxe blu ray box set, they have a comprehensive Making Of documentary that has some footage of Tom Selleck doing actual scenes before I guess they found out they couldn't use him.

Granted this probably amounts to five minutes of footage but from those clips, I actually kind of wished he had gotten a shot at the role because I think he would've made a pretty damn good Indiana.

I think Ford hurts himself a lot by continually going back to characters that he's really gotten too old to play. Not sure how Harrison Ford can be irreplaceable as Indiana Jones when he was noticeably rather dull in the fourth film.

I don't have high hopes for him as Han Solo in the new Star Wars. Or him (apparently) coming back for the Blade Runner sequel. Unlike Neeson or Stallone, he hasn't aged well at all. He's lost something.

I think Ford hurts himself a lot by continually going back to characters that he's really gotten too old to play. Not sure how Harrison Ford can be irreplaceable as Indiana Jones when he was noticeably rather dull in the fourth film.

I don't have high hopes for him as Han Solo in the new Star Wars. Or him (apparently) coming back for the Blade Runner sequel. Unlike Neeson or Stallone, he hasn't aged well at all. He's lost something.

I thought it was agreed upon that there are only three Indiana Jones films and that fourth one was a dream

Maybe a weird one but Orson Welles as Unicron in Transformers: The Movie. Casting him was about as perfect as you'll get for an animated film and if the new movies ever use the character it would be bizarre for it to not be him, or maybe Maurice Lamarche.

I dunno..I think Kevin Grevioux has an impressive enough voice to do it justice.

Guess we'll find out how irreplaceable Orson is later this month

Maybe a weird one but Orson Welles as Unicron in Transformers: The Movie. Casting him was about as perfect as you'll get for an animated film and if the new movies ever use the character it would be bizarre for it to not be him, or maybe Maurice Lamarche.

I dunno..I think Kevin Grevioux has an impressive enough voice to do it justice.

Guess we'll find out how irreplaceable Orson is later this month

You might find out lol.  You all know how I feel about that.  I'm saving myself the trouble this time.

Tyrion Lannister is a good one though. Partly because Peter Dinklage is amazing, but also because you're pretty limited and don't have a huge pool of actors to pick from.

Yeah, as you could probably guess, that was exactly why I picked him.  I figured I'd try to think of a role which required certain unusual physical characteristics.  First I thought of was Andre as Fezzik, but then I realized Big Show would probably do really well in that role.

All I know is this: Two major roles people used to claim were iconic and could never be replaced were:

Jack Nicholson as The Joker.  

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

And what happened? Well, we promptly saw performances that were not only equal, but arguably better from other actors in those exact roles.  Ledger, for sure. Mikkelson is in my opinion way better now than the Bond villain cartoonishness we saw from Hopkins in every post SOTL movie.

That's why I'm so weary of this "so and so is irreplaceable" talk. It's like when someone covers a song. You bring something new to the material and it changes how you think about things.

I am probably the only one who likes Brian Cox more than Hopkins over the test of time. Maybe because Hopkins went more of the cartoony villain route and it's been beaten over the head through TV/everyday references, but it's definitely more refined than what Sir Anthony gave us. Silence of the Lambs is a superior movie just based off of Ted Levine's performance, but I just like Manhunter's Lecter better. Mads probably has the best incarnation out of all three.

I am probably the only one who likes Brian Cox more than Hopkins over the test of time. Maybe because Hopkins went more of the cartoony villain route and it's been beaten over the head through TV/everyday references, but it's definitely more refined than what Sir Anthony gave us. Silence of the Lambs is a superior movie just based off of Ted Levine's performance, but I just like Manhunter's Lecter better. Mads probably has the best incarnation out of all three.

I don't know. I love Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, but he just lost control of the character after that. Cox was...good, I guess, but I wasn't blown away. He may have downplayed it TOO much.

Mikkelson has become the definitive Lecter to me though.