DVDVR Message Board

Which actor/actress will be the most difficult to replace as [insert character]

Niners Fan in CT

I was thinking about this a while back with Downey Jr. as Stark/Iron Man. He is pretty much perfect. Maybe he went over-the-top with the comedy in the last couple films but he's so great and without him I don't believe these MCU movies would be nearly as huge.

Then there's Arnold. I don't hate Salvation but no Arnie is a tough sell. He IS the Terminator series.

I don't think I ever saw a full episode of the show, but what little I did see back in the day, Sean Patrick Flannery seemed like a decent young Indiana Jones. For those who are more familiar with the show, am I wrong?

Agreed with the sentiment though, mainly because we all have those films we never want to see remade and the Indy movies are mine.

If Madds Mikkelson as Hannibal Lecter taught me anything, it's that really, any talented enough actor can pull off an iconic character..as long as they're going somewhere new with it.

Does anyone want to see so and so doing a bad Harrison Ford impersonation in an Indiana Jones reboot? Of course not. But if you've got the right team of writers who are actually taking the character in a different direction and someone talented enough to pull it off...it can work.

Chris Rock tells the story of a studio trying to get him to do a movie version of Sanford and Son and him being very indignant about the idea because he (correctly) believed that only Redd Foxx could play Sanford and it was stupid to do a movie version of what was, essentially, the Redd Foxx Show.

• Like 1

If Madds Mikkelson as Hannibal Lecter taught me anything, it's that really, any talented enough actor can pull off an iconic character..as long as they're going somewhere new with it.

Does anyone want to see so and so doing a bad Harrison Ford impersonation in an Indiana Jones reboot? Of course not. But if you've got the right team of writers who are actually taking the character in a different direction and someone talented enough to pull it off...it can work.

Good point.  Some of the post-Connery Bond films did well enough, but it seems like people dig Daniel Craig more than the others and he's probably the most different from the others.

But that said, it might be tough to recast Tyrion Lannister.

Maybe a weird one but Orson Welles as Unicron in Transformers: The Movie. Casting him was about as perfect as you'll get for an animated film and if the new movies ever use the character it would be bizarre for it to not be him, or maybe Maurice Lamarche.

• Like 2

Well, only half the movie was Welles. A fun exercise is watching the 80's Transformers and guessing which Unicron lines were Welles and which were Nimoy with a filter.

I've always heard that refuted by everyone involved. Being my favorite movie, I've seen the movie more times than I can count and aside from "My destiny" at the end I've never ever noticed anything different or off.

Interesting, I'll have to watch it again and keep an ear out.

Everything I've ever heard is that it's all Welles, with a computer filter because his voice was so damn weak by that point.

Yeah, I had always heard that, if anything, only the last lines he spoke were Nimoy(I've also heard Frank Welker).  I think that rumor only popped up because of how different he sounded, but, you know, he was dying and all. Unicron, not Welles lol

I don't think the Hunger Games movies are very good but I think they're only enjoyable - especially the first one - because Jennifer Lawrence put them on her back and carried them. I don't think anyone else could do Katniss.

I don't think the Hunger Games movies are very good but I think they're only enjoyable - especially the first one - because Jennifer Lawrence put them on her back and carried them. I don't think anyone else could do Katniss.

I could do Katniss ;)

• Like 1

I was gonna mention Lawrence and Katniss, but this is one role I am not sure applies since Niners never really clarified the criteria. From a "we have a legitimate star with some credibility" standpoint, no one can replace her now. But from a "this might affect the quality of our movie" standpoint, she can easily be replaced. Hell, all but like ten or fifteen people in cinematic history can be replaced in specific roles. This would be the shortest thread ever. IMO, only two or three at best have been named so far.

It would be different if she was just some limited actress being crammed into a YA role, but Lawrence is literally better in other project I've seen her in. The writing requires so little from her. Katniss is every 14-23 year old suburban white girl's avatar that I am not sure it's even modeled after a real human being. She has no gripping emotional quality that helps the narrative and makes these films remotely palpable for someone outside the demographic. Plus, they have no real ending. That's always a kick in the balls. These movies stink in every conceivable way, but I understand why they are so hyper specific and loyal to the demo. Because people like me are willing to spend money trying to figure out a craze they will never understand. That mystery keeps the series from being another YA movie that bombs at the box office.

So from a quality standpoint, you can replace her and not have any step back since the writing is so shallow.