DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT 4 (and beyond)

Ace

If Andromeda is set 100+ years after Mass Effect 3, Liara and Grunt (and Samara and Wrex or Wreav) could potentially still be alive, right? Long-lived species? Not that it would neccesarily make any sense for them to have moved to another galaxy or anything.

The only thing I can see on it is that it takes place "long after" the events of Mass Effect 3. Not sure what sort of time frame "long after" encompasses.

Liara is 106, according to the games, so if the Asari lifespan is about 1,000 years, she'd probably have an outside shot of being in Andromeda. I thought Wrex was already kind of old, though. I might be wrong on that.

If Andromeda is set 100+ years after Mass Effect 3, Liara and Grunt (and Samara and Wrex or Wreav) could potentially still be alive, right? Long-lived species? Not that it would neccesarily make any sense for them to have moved to another galaxy or anything.

The only thing I can see on it is that it takes place "long after" the events of Mass Effect 3. Not sure what sort of time frame "long after" encompasses.

Liara is 106, according to the games, so if the Asari lifespan is about 1,000 years, she'd probably have an outside shot of being in Andromeda. I thought Wrex was already kind of old, though. I might be wrong on that.

Both Samara and Wrex would probably be too old if the game is set too far into the future. 

I'm also curious on Quarian and Turian aging, just cause I haven't heard specific lifespan talk.

And from the sounds of it there will be multiple species not returning. Which just makes me think "If none of the characters are returning, if a lot of the races aren't returning, and it has little or nothing to do with the pre-existing universe anyway, why not just call this something other then a Mass Effect game"

Really, I should just keep talking about Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I'd forgotten how many things you can kill with a Turian with Marksman and a Hurricane.

I've been doing a bit of ME3 online on PS3. Best character is a Krogan Vanguard (for some reason, whenever I go for Weapon packs I get Shotguns or Sniper Rifles - and I'm terrible with Sniper Rifles. I've got Widow and I can't hit shit with it). I've got an Asari Huntress Infiltrator up to level 13, and I never seem to use the Invisibilty Cloak. Just Dark Channel the biggest enemy in range, shoot until it recharges, then Warp them. Only carry one gun to speed recharge.

I've been doing a bit of ME3 online on PS3. Best character is a Krogan Vanguard (for some reason, whenever I go for Weapon packs I get Shotguns or Sniper Rifles - and I'm terrible with Sniper Rifles. I've got Widow and I can't hit shit with it). I've got an Asari Huntress Infiltrator up to level 13, and I never seem to use the Invisibilty Cloak. Just Dark Channel the biggest enemy in range, shoot until it recharges, then Warp them. Only carry one gun to speed recharge.

I hate you.

And Krogan Vanguards are basically the class that doesn't die. Best tank in all Multiplayer.

Speaking of, thought I'd give a list of the Multiplayer Characters I really really like.

Adepts:

Human Adept: The standard is really really fun to play, actually. Singularity, Warp, Shockwave is a really good setup. I think they are the best "Standard" character in the game.

Asari Adept: Not the Justicar, the regular. Once more, it's a standard setup with Stasis, Warp, and Throw, but it's very very effective.

N7 Fury: Put on Annihilation Field, run at people, Throw them to cause a Biotic Explosion. With 200% recharge, you can set off biotic explosions every 1.33 seconds without any gear. Fuck Yes.

Soldiers

Turian: no points in Concussive shot, full load on everything else. Marksman turns SMG's or Assault Rifles with high kickback into devastating weaponry. No better pure shooter in the game.

Just about all other Soldiers are usable, but none of them really stand out to me.

Engineers

Human: Another case were standard is pretty good. Incinerate and Overload is a good combo, and the Combat Done, while not overly useful, isn't bad.

N7 Demolisher: It's a fun play style, unique from most others in the game. 

Talon Mercanary: Trip Minds and Arrows, both can be hugely effective. Just don't get shot, cause you die.... really really fast. Big advantage with this character is you literally don't have to give a shit about cooldown times, so bring the best shit you can if you ever just want to gun.

Sentinels (Still waiting on my fucking Paladin and Valkyrie)

Ummm... Krogan, Turian and Human aren't bad, and people love the Krogan Warlord. It's the class I play the least

Infiltrator (Huntress please....)

Salarian: I view Salarian as the standard, as Energy Drain and Prox mines are a good backup to your cloak. Better then the human

Geth: Fuck yes the Geth. You can't get shot, but the potential to deal damage is almost unmatched. 

N7 Shadow: Melee Infiltrator, it's very powerful though there isn't much "Creativity" here.

Turian Ghost: Strongest Infiltrater in the game due to Stim Packs, Turians natural ability with guns, mobility, and a good secondary in Overload. Probably best character in the game overall.

Vanguards ( How the fuck do I still not have the Drell?)

Human: Nova is interesting, and it's the only character out of the standard humans I have two seperate builds for, all based on how you treat it. One of them is a full out Nova Blast which is a much higher risk play style. I prefer Half Nova, as it does the job without screwing yourself over.

Krogan: Don't even need a point in Carnage.Get your Barrier up, Charge as often as you can (into non insta-death enemies), get your Rage going, and you will never ever die. Not the strongest via damage output, but the best tank in the game by far.

N7 Slayer: I really like Phase Distrupter. the Slayer isn't particularly interesting, just a character I enjoy. Also one of the easiest characters to solo with on lower levels. 

Batarian Brawler: YEEEEEES. This hate filled mother fucker is just the best. Blase Armor, Charge In, Strong Melee, and watch your opponents head get blasted to dust.

God I'm glad I got back into this.

And from the sounds of it there will be multiple species not returning. Which just makes me think "If none of the characters are returning, if a lot of the races aren't returning, and it has little or nothing to do with the pre-existing universe anyway, why not just call this something other then a Mass Effect game"

Really, I should just keep talking about Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I'd forgotten how many things you can kill with a Turian with Marksman and a Hurricane.

Who said anything about multiple species not returning? Right now its more a question posed by fans on a few specific races due to our ME3 choices supposedly still counting. The Rachni, Quarians, & Geth all could have been wiped out depending on how you played. And the Batarians were near wiped out due to taking the brunt of the Reapers' attacks first.

I have a Drell Vanguard. It's not too good, Drell can't take much damage and Vanguard is a tank class. I might upload the Krogan to Galaxy at War, so I can re-level him and assign his points better.

Turian Sentinal and Quarian Engineer (aka Tali) are the bees knees.

Krogan Vanguards (aka Kroguards) are awesome especially when you first start to play.

I doubt MP is as full with people who bitch about people spamming biotic charge anymore

Stay far away from any Volus until you are way more familiar with MP. So very squishy (not that Drells are much better)

Who said anything about multiple species not returning? Right now its more a question posed by fans on a few specific races due to our ME3 choices supposedly still counting. The Rachni, Quarians, & Geth all could have been wiped out depending on how you played. And the Batarians were near wiped out due to taking the brunt of the Reapers' attacks first.

Just the general sense of what seems to be discussed. Probably assuming too much.

I will say I don't buy the "Batarians were near wiped out" blah blah. I mean yeah there planet got hit hard, but they had multiple colonies, and there species was very strong all over the Terminus, let alone Omega. Also, the Reapers wouldn't have had anything to gain from completely killing everyone on Khar'shan. They needed those forces elsewhere. I'd say odds are they surprised attacked, destroyed as many major cities and, specifically, spaceports and ships as they could. . Once that's done, they would have no reason to stay. Just guard the Relay in the system and the Batarians are trapped. But that still leaves potentially millions of survivors, easily enough to maintain a population if given the chance.

I'd say the Batarian Military and Government is dead, yes. But I can't see a way the Batarians as a species are almost gone.

That Batarian terrorist leader from ME1 Bring Down the Sky was still alive in ME3 (or my version of it), and said he was basically the leader of what Batarians were left, and was regretfully joining the alliance against the Reapers, even though he hated humans in general and Shepard in particular. So yes, there's some of them left.

Although in the ME1 codex, it said the reason they hated humans was humans started colonising worlds Batarians had earmarked for colonization, but not gotten around to. And humans were breeding and expanding so fast that the Batarians couldn't hope to match them, so they protested to the council... who backed the humans, leading to the Batarians leaving the council and becoming an outlaw species. So if their population levels were severely reduced in the war, and they don't breed quickly or have long natural lifespans, they could be close to extinction anyway.

Mass Effect Andromeda: Revenge of the Batarians

Seeing as how the Batarian Soldier was easily my favorite class in ME3 multiplayer, I really hope we get one as a squadmate this time around. I want to be able to use Ballistic Spikes and Submission Net in single-player.

EDIT: Well, Bat. Soldier or Vorcha Sentinel were my favorites. I want a Vorcha in my squad too for this game.

I just had a thought that I haven't fully fleshed out, and in actuality, is probably impossible to make a game with this many variables. But I'd still like to hear some feedback on it.

What if you didn't recruit more squadmates as the game went on. What if, right at the beginning, the game set up some kind of scenario where they have you a list of 30-40 possible squadmates, and you choose 9 or 10, and that is the squad that mans your ship throughout the game. The only way to play with the other squadmates is to play the game again.

That would pretty much do away with loyalty missions, sadly, but then again, those were gone in ME3 anyway. And squad chatter would be a nightmare to record all the possible combinations. But I really like the idea of customizing your crew.

Just the general sense of what seems to be discussed. Probably assuming too much.

I will say I don't buy the "Batarians were near wiped out" blah blah. I mean yeah there planet got hit hard, but they had multiple colonies, and there species was very strong all over the Terminus, let alone Omega. Also, the Reapers wouldn't have had anything to gain from completely killing everyone on Khar'shan. They needed those forces elsewhere. I'd say odds are they surprised attacked, destroyed as many major cities and, specifically, spaceports and ships as they could. . Once that's done, they would have no reason to stay. Just guard the Relay in the system and the Batarians are trapped. But that still leaves potentially millions of survivors, easily enough to maintain a population if given the chance.

I'd say the Batarian Military and Government is dead, yes. But I can't see a way the Batarians as a species are almost gone.

It was more extinct as an actual power than anything else in the case of the Batarians though the way Hackett brought it up did make it sound like they had numbers even smaller than Quarians. Also being split up in the Terminus actually hurts the chances of their survival more than helps.

I just had a thought that I haven't fully fleshed out, and in actuality, is probably impossible to make a game with this many variables. But I'd still like to hear some feedback on it.

What if you didn't recruit more squadmates as the game went on. What if, right at the beginning, the game set up some kind of scenario where they have you a list of 30-40 possible squadmates, and you choose 9 or 10, and that is the squad that mans your ship throughout the game. The only way to play with the other squadmates is to play the game again.

That would pretty much do away with loyalty missions, sadly, but then again, those were gone in ME3 anyway. And squad chatter would be a nightmare to record all the possible combinations. But I really like the idea of customizing your crew.

They could do something that was half that - like recruitment missions that are time sensitive, and if you don't recruit them in time they join your enemies. Or Sophie's Choice recruitment, where if you can take one character, you can't take the other (either because they die horribly right away, or because they hate the first one and will oppose them at everything).

I can see loyalty missions returning, for sure. The only reason they weren't in ME3 was because there was no storyline time for them to happen in a massive war... and any time a game developer creates something, and then sees another franchise copy the idea (Saint's Row 4), that pretty much tells them it's a good idea, no?

Ummm... Krogan, Turian and Human aren't bad, and people love the Krogan Warlord. It's the class I play the least

Jesus, dude the N7 Paladin speced to Ice Explode stuff at will and Ice Sheld for flash freezing is the best thing in the game.  All you need is the N7 Pirana Shotgun to make the package complete.

Soldier wise, I loved the N7 Destroyer after I got my N7 minigun but it was pretty eh before that.

I don't play Saint's Row, what did they copy? Loyalty missions?

In Saint's Row 4, you're on a Spaceship with a couple of your crewmates. You can recruit other crewmates (some of whom are from previous games in the series, some of whom are new) by doing missions to fetch them. This then unlocks a loyalty mission for them, and completing that gives them extra powers and a new outfit.

Oh, and you can also have sex with any of them, whether you're male or female*. Except Keith David**, who turns you down.

It's like a tribute and a piss-take all at once.

See in ME3 Online, are the weapons listed in order of how good they are, or just the order you got them in? Because I've got a Reegar Carbine and a Graal Spike Thrower and I'm not sure which is better. I think the Reegar is.

* You can switch M/F back and forth during the game. There's a trophy for it.

* Actual Keith David. Not Keith David doing voice acting as a character in the game. Keith David.

Jesus, dude the N7 Paladin speced to Ice Explode stuff at will and Ice Sheld for flash freezing is the best thing in the game. All you need is the N7 Pirana Shotgun to make the package complete.

Soldier wise, I loved the N7 Destroyer after I got my N7 minigun but it was pretty eh before that.

Like I said, still waiting on that Paladin :(

What I've got:

Adept: Human

Soldier: Human, Turian, N7 Destroyer

Engineer: Human, Salarian, Talon Mercenary

Sentinel: Human, Turian, Krogan

Infiltrator: Human, Asari Huntress

Vanguard: Human, Drell, Krogan