DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT 4 (and beyond)

Ace

Bowser is George Washington.

So the fire-breathing dragon turtle with an army of Bob-ombs and Thwomps at his back is a liberator.

The Nazis at least had the good taste to drink the same Jonestown Kool-Aid they poured down other people's throats.

What has he ever done except kidnap his golf, tennis, and karting buddy? I mean that's just basic sorority hazing stuff.

Kidnapping is a felony, Fresh.

Yeah, but Han Solo was a likeable scoundrel and it bugs me that "honor" is somehow equated with a lack of resolve.  Also, I have seen Bioware's depiction of "Renegade" and that dude is an asshole.

I also think that a story with a smaller scale would work out best.  I still think that Bioware missed the boat when they never pursued a DLC that featured Garrus's story during the time he was Archangel.

But that's where Paragon/Renegade system comes in.  A paragon character would have the resolve to do what needed to be done, but would then also rise above his/her past and fight hard to do things the right way.  The Renegade path would be more like John Marston, a bad person who would continue to do bad things, just for the right reasons now.

I do totally agree that an Archangel DLC would have been amazing though.

See?  I really don't think of John Marston as a Renegade. The dude had a tremendous amount of personal honor.   I think he was a good man forced to do bad things for the right reasons since John did what he did because the safety of his family was threatened.

Now Trevor Phillips.  There is your GTA renegade.  Has some semblance of honor and personal code but funny how it always manages to serve his own personal interests.  And even being a psychotic animal, he still manages to look like a saint compared to the antagonists in the story.

The most endearing thing about Trevor is that he is honest albeit brutally so and the truth about what he is and why he acts the way he does very very ugly.

As for the game, the whole thing about a galaxy awaiting me is troubling.  I'd love a return to the KOTOR Act One / Act Two / Act Three story system that only takes place on four or five planets that were huge sandboxes to explore.   I think I could find a way to live if resource hunting and going from sector to sector to read dossiers about planets I can't even land on weren't factored into gameplay.

Bowser is George Washington.

So the fire-breathing dragon turtle with an army of Bob-ombs and Thwomps at his back is a liberator.

The Nazis at least had the good taste to drink the same Jonestown Kool-Aid they poured down other people's throats.

What has he ever done except kidnap his golf, tennis, and karting buddy? I mean that's just basic sorority hazing stuff.

He imprisoned the entire population of Peachs kingdom into solid objects. It's why so many things in the Mario world have faces.... And then Mario destroys those blocks, murdering those people and taking mushrooms from there bodies.

Both Mario and Bowser have no moral high ground when looking at the details.

You think I'm kidding, but I'm dead serious that overthrowing the Council, including an invasion of the Citadel, would make such a badass game.

Only you would like a game like that.   I can live without Mass Effect: The Darkspawn Chronicles.

You think I'm kidding, but I'm dead serious that overthrowing the Council, including an invasion of the Citadel, would make such a badass game.

Only you would like a game like that. I can live without Mass Effect: The Darkspawn Chronicles.

You bum me out sometimes.

Well its going to have new and old alien races - since photos have definitely shown Krogans and like 99% certain Salarians

The general fear on Bioware's forums are for the Quarians & Geth with a side order of people begging for more Drell despite them being functionally extinct even w/o the Reaper War.

Also seems like they won't be remastering the Trilogy according to EA's executive VP.

Was that the whole universe or just the Milky Way? I thought it was the Milky Way.

It was just the Milky Way.

Not sure how they can put in the Geth (or Quarians, really) when in a lot of peoples universes there extinct unless they abandon the "your universe is your own" thing.

I made sure both would live as I quite like both races. That said I'm not sure I would want them to be around. Even if both lived it seems like something of stretch for either to really leave the galaxy.

If Andromeda follows the events of Mass Effect 3, I think the story would be along the lines of this:

Humans on Earth do not find the universe to be a safe place anymore. With their own planet a warzone, they discover that an event now projected is happening now: the Andromeda galaxy is colliding with their Milky Way galaxy. It's projected that the Earth will not survive the collision -- what kills the Earth is not the Reapers, but a nautral phenomenon millions of years in the making. The player character is tasked with finding a new inhabitable world for the people of Earth to settle on.

Since the Geth and Quarians are no longer at war with each other, the Quarians will be seen maskless for the first time. I think Tali will be in the game and I think they have her maintain her look -- just without the mask. She will be charged with leading the Geth-Quarian people and developing their way of life on Rannoch since there is no Migrant Fleet. The concept of a Pilgrimage will still be apparent as she sends a Quarian on pilgrimage to help the player character.

The Krogans aren't quite as war-like and bloodthirsty thanks to Wrex. However, there is still a hunger for combat and Wrex knows that someone among his people is trying to kill him. He asks the PC to help him and has his second-in-command followed -- which will reveal the enemy of the game. A new Cerberus and their Illusive Woman.

Besides, who is financing the move from Earth in the first place? Cerberus. Except our player character will not even know that he/she's carrying out missions for them. The Council is trusting of the humans -- with Admiral Haskett being the head of the Council -- but this cause them to lose trust a bit. Since all bets are off in this game, Admiral Haskett is assassinated, the assassin hired by the other members of the Council. But our player character was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The player character's mission changes from finding a new world for the humans to avenging the death of Admiral Haskett and clearing his/her name. The Council rejects the humans' representation and every Spectre in the galaxy is hunting for our player character.

Now, our player character is an outlaw and has to band a group of outlaws together. A crazy but hilarious Geth that is reminiscent of HK-47. A Solarian who fashions himself after James Bond. A Quarian on pilgrimage but not knowing what she is getting herself into. A Krogan hungry for war and is next in line for Wrex's position. An Asari who you really can't trust in this game but the player character learns to trust. And a Turian taking up the mantle of Archangel but is not Garrus. Together, they will find a new world for the humans in this new merged galaxy, outrun the Council, and take down Cerberus once and for all.

Well?

I am not so sure that the fast forward will be several cenuturies.   The N7 armor looks very advanced but the sidearm the special op character is packing in the trailer looks like the same old Carnifax of "present day" ME and the Omni Blade also looks the same.

I know that the Reapers held technology stagnant on purpose so that no one could confront them during Extermination cycles, but I'd still expect firearms to be farther along in technology or at least look a bit different.   Protheans had plasma rifles during the millennia they ruled the Milky Way so I would expect the Citadel / Systems Alliance races to possess more than slug throwers centuries after the Reaper Wars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ugh. There's a portion of Mass Effect fans pissed about the Johnny Cash song in the trailer claiming, "Mass Effect isn't Firefly!"

Fuck them.

1. They are idiots.

2. They are kinda right, which is why I wanted a protagonist that wasn't a Systems Alliance N7 (i.e. so it could have more of a Firefly feel.)

I am really digging Killjoys on Syfy, so I was really hoping for unaffiliated mercs with hearts of gold to be the ME4 heroes rather than another set of heroes with direct ties to the SA military.