DVDVR Message Board

Covers of Van Morrison's "Sweet Thing"

Greggulator

I have no idea how I discovered this. But a few years ago, I went down a YouTube wormhole where I watched all sorts of versions of Van Morrison's "Sweet Thing." I don't like making fun of people just trying to put a song out on the Internet but so many of these are so cringe-worthy and compelling and off-putting. You'll see. Here are some of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiDyztdypms

The guy's voice is so weird in this... and THEN come in the whistle/flute synth parts that are so incredibly loud.

I've always wondered what makes someone video themselves playing guitar and put it on YouTube. A friend of mine used to do this all the time before he got hitched and now has a billion better things to do, and it always killed me because he'd ask what I thought and I'd be like "uh, that's nice." What do you say? I'm not sure I wanna hear the original "Wish You Were Here" again, much less somebody covering it and videoing it in their living room.

I really wouldn't wanna put anything out for public consumption unless I was sure it was really worth putting out there. Do these people think they're actually good enough to risk having random losers laugh at them on YouTube, or do they just not care?

I've always wondered what makes someone video themselves playing guitar and put it on YouTube. A friend of mine used to do this all the time before he got hitched and now has a billion better things to do, and it always killed me because he'd ask what I thought and I'd be like "uh, that's nice." What do you say? I'm not sure I wanna hear the original "Wish You Were Here" again, much less somebody covering it and videoing it in their living room.

I really wouldn't wanna put anything out for public consumption unless I was sure it was really worth putting out there. Do these people think they're actually good enough to risk having random losers laugh at them on YouTube, or do they just not care?

There's enough awful comedy stuff I've done over the years on YouTube (let alone me bombing on a game show) that I think I've earned the right to analyze this.

The answer: I don't know why. Just a random hope to become the next Justin Bieber? Setting something up to show to friends that could also become a meme? I don't know. So weird.

This isn't awful (on the sliding scale) but the comments to this are amazing.

It's mostly creepy dudes flirting via YouTube comments.

"wow. where are women like you from?"

"This song is poetry and your cover is the only one I've heard that does it any justice!"

A guy who I work with who I don't even like put a couple of songs he wrote and sung on YouTube and told a co-worker about it. I overheard it, found them, and they're unintentionally HILARIOUS. One of them I honestly think could go viral if spread around the right places it's so bad. But as much as I don't like him, I can't do that to the guy for some reason. I don't wanna be responsible for strangers making fun of him on the Internet.