DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Rik Mayall

The Natural

Well, this is sad.

Loved Bottom as a teenager. Then discovered The Young Ones. Loved both. Unfortunately, having seen an episode or two of Bottom fairly recently, the humour didn't really hold up for me. Very juvenile, which is of course what attracted me as a teenager. Can't speak for how The Young Ones holds up.

Thats a smashing blouse you have on.

What made Rik so likeable is that his characters were so detestable. A pure slapstick comedic actor and the voice of disillusioned youth of the 80's

Gutted by his passing. Time to fire up the old Bum Notes theme tune.

Damn this sucks so much, loved him as Lord Flashheart. "Darling? Funny name for a bloke isn't it? Last person I called Darling was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Still gets said by me on a regular basis. Always enjoyed him popping up in random comedy programmes. Most recently playing Greg Davies dad despite being almost the same age, but it worked.

Actor and long-time friend Adrian Edmondson said of Rik Mayall: "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

• Like 4

My earliest Rik Mayall memories are actually of the Dangerous Brothers, from the short-lived UK version of Saturday Night Live. My friend at school was always talking about them, and when I finally watched it, they were doing the flaming trousers sketch. Which made me a fan of theirs for life right there. Then I saw Bad News Tour (More Bad News hadn't been made yet) and I decided they were the best thing ever ever.

Loved the Young Ones. Liked Filthy Rich and Catflap. Couldn't get into Bottom, I was too much the pretentious teenager who thought he was better than that stuff (at the time it started). My friend (who told me about the Dangerous Brothers when we were 9) he still loved them. He went to Bottom Live twice, and bought the video.