DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: THE SAMOAN SWAT TEAM (Headshrinkers)

RIPPA

Man, the SST in WCW were just completely sick.  The Halloween theme, Paul E as an absolute douchebag, their reckless style, among many other great attributes.  They had an element of danger to them that most teams wished they could possess.  Fatu was bonkers in the ring at this particular time. 

Man, the SST in WCW were just completely sick.  The Halloween theme, Paul E as an absolute douchebag, their reckless style, among many other great attributes.  They had an element of danger to them that most teams wished they could possess.  Fatu was bonkers in the ring at this particular time. 

Yeah, I loved the SST in World Class and WCW.  Particularly in WCW, for all the reasons mentioned above.  Paul E. was just such a great choice for them.

They really didn't have a bad run, and, of course, Rikishi had a pretty great run afterwards as a singles guy, but I feel like they could have been a lot more.  The WWF run seemed to kill off a lot of their aura,

This was obviously posted when I was in Maryland and away from a compyter.

Lee Scott is a fucking pinball.  One of the MVP jobber elite along with Barry Houston.  I love the bumps he takes in that SST match.  SOOOOOOO unsafe..

• 4 years later...

I remember the SST throwing a jobber to the ceiling line being repeated alot on the old board. I assumed it was a reference to this match -

That gives them 3 squash matches to add to any essential squash matches list imo. I actually couldn’t find the other 1 to list also. I don’t know if it’s been taken down or if I just didn’t search correctly and sift through everything.

I recently read that they had a Nitro dark match in 1997 against Stars and Stripes of all people. Did anybody else know this? The SST is probably the most underrated heavyweight tag team of all time. They had very few bad matches, took everything that guys like the Steiners and Road Warriors threw at them, and were just as good as monsters when booked as such in territories. They got screwed by politics in 1989 then when they made it to the WWF it was at an alltime low. I would have thought that they would have gotten a deal with WCW in 1997, since of course WCW would sign anybody who they thought they could milk as some sort of return even if just for a week. On top of that they fell for anything that was ever over in ECW where they’d just had a successful couple of separate runs in a few years IIRC. And was Rikishi in the WWF then? They sure didn’t mind trying to 1 up them either.