DVDVR Message Board

DEATH VALLEY DRIVERETTE 652014- BUDDY WAYNE! BILLY TWO EAGLES!

DEAN

DRIVERETTE 652014

Must burn off the rest of the requested matches! But I'm very busy so this will be very wee.  BEHOLD,  THE PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@SINGLES

##############################GOING

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$STEADY

-------------------------------------

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CWUSA- BILLY TWO EAGLES vs BUDDY WAYNE- 12/1/1996:  Someone requested this and I OPTED to review it so I'm coming in cold on this one.  But I did do my research.   I read an interview with Buddy Wayne from Canoe.ca(1), figuring he was related to the best ever Tigermask (Ken Wayne), but alas it a different set of Waynes.   I remember Billy  Two Eagle from assorted matches in AWF and what have you.  Yes, beloved reader, somebody is about watch some random wrestling and what could be better than that?  A few things, sure!   but that is neither here nor there.  Buddy Wayne is on the STICK~! and he is stoked about kicking Two Eagles butt all over the greater Vancouver Metroplex.  Buddy Wayne is like Ken Wayne in that they are both teeny tiny.   Oh man, our Special referee is Bart Sawyer!  It is WCW Enhancement ManiaClashCade!  And Buddy Wayne beats on Bart Sawyer!  For some reason!  They carry out Bart Sawyer and get on with the Indian Strap Match.  Buddy Wayne has good punches- far better than the unhurtiest Atomic Drop that Billy Two Eagles brung into the world in 1996.   Jesus, Buddy Wayne was the enhancement wrestler's enhancement wrestler- as he offers up his whole nekkid back to Two Eagles Indian strap and does not flinch at leather across his back- as Two Eagles smacks him and smacks him and smacks him.   Waynes transitions to offense by kinda grabbing Two Eagles around the hip area and headbutting him into the breadbasket.  Wayne's punches get better as the match continues and Two Eagles leans into a lots of punches to the face, then punches with the strap, then just more punches to the face,  and then Two Eagles totally blades like a total motherfucker.   Two Eagles chops to come back but Wayne punches to cut him off- as this is from Vancouver but it is very Memphis.  Wayne hits the sweet 70s Lateral Suplex and then hits a toprop elbow and goes for the fourth turnbuckle but Two Eagles pulls him with the strap and does the El hijo Del Santo Spinning Body Headscissors thingy to transition back to offense.   Wayne cuts him of immediately with a clotheline more than a lariat and they take it the floor.  Two Eagles lean way into a posting and blood is flying out of his head.  The blood is assisted by Wayne double axe-handling avec une strap right across the place where the blood is spewing.   Wayne hits an actual Bulldog and gets 2 feet from four corners but Two Eagles pulls him away does the Pro Wrestling Indian War Dance and blood is majestically flying out of his head as Wayne clocks him with a forearm across the BLOOD PLACE.   He then TOMAHAWK CHOPS to offense and prays to the Native American God of Awesome Possible Hardway and I await Wayne to STEP UP TO THE FUCKING PLATE and bleed already.  Two Eagles hits a missile dropkick and hits the fourth corner but the REF DIDN'T SEE IT as everybody runs in.  A Haliburton is involved.  Buddy Wayne cheats to win!  I would have liked this more if Wayne would made with the bleeding but Two Eagles bleeds a fucking bucket for two, so I will let it slide in this case.  I assume Buddy Wayne versus Bart Sawyer is somewhere on the internet.

------------------------

END NOTES

TOMORROW: BERNARD VIGNAL/ ANDRE DRAPP vs ROBERT DURANTON/ RENE LASARTESSE 

This is one of those "really fun matches from the 90s that you've never heard of."

Shamefully, I saw this and thought "Wait, who else saw this match to request it!" before realizing it was part of my attempt to break up my list with varied stuff I thought people would like so I could hide the Zenk tag in it.

Man I think I was pimping this match way back in the day as I'm huge CWUSA fan.
Billy Two-Eagles made one of the last DVDVR 500's based on his stiffness and batshit oldman in garbage matches bumping...and was on one of Meltzers top 100's  of 83/84(back when he was working for Joe Blanchard's fed), tiny Meixcan working a Native American gimmick. He was Relampago Leon and El Santo Negro in South West and may have showed up in AWA for a bit under one of those gimmicks.
Buddy Wayne I think maybe trained Kozina and was trained by Colonel Debeers. I may be making that up, but he was a tiny guy who was part of Debeers stable.
I'm pretty sure that rookie Kozina is floating around at same time (to add to the bizarrely tine Portland wrestler squad: Wayne, Two Eagles, Smart Bart Sawyer). I'm  knot sure when lil Nasty Boy (who worked as the midgit Batista in WWE) shows up in Pacific Northwest...but I don's think it's for another 3-5 years.

Pretty sure CWUSA stood for Championship Wrestling USA, which is pretty much what you'd expect.

I was thinking it could have been a new Continental thing.  I MUST BE SURE!

Shamefully, I saw this and thought "Wait, who else saw this match to request it!" before realizing it was part of my attempt to break up my list with varied stuff I thought people would like so I could hide the Zenk tag in it.

Pretty much only two people made requests so after this next issue - there won't be anymore

And yes - Tom was solely responsible for Billy Two Eagles being on the 500

I had to go back to figure out what the hell I asked for. I swear I asked for Rose vs Stasiak too as a way to show that old Man Stan was actually hugely entertaining as a foil to Buddy but I don't see that. 

In general, this was a sort of interesting experiment because I tried to mention some things I thought you guys would like (this strap match, Funk vs Martel from PR, etc), and also stuff that I had thought was really interesting (Pat vs Murdoch) or underlooked in a way that having a light on them would be useful, but it kind of highlights on a personal level how my wrestling viewing went in a different direction over the last few years. I actually think that's true with a lot of the board. In 2001 or 2004, I think there was a real sense of cultural influence from the top down, even if that wasn't the intent, and with the ease of availability and the scope of different things watched and some of the tragedies of the 00s and the oversaturation of the US Indy style and I probably think about this too much on a meta level, but it's interesting how and when things diverged. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...