DVDVR Message Board

All Japan Implosion (Again)!

Eivion

It's a shame WWE has all their resources tied up into the Network and have long given up that idea from a few years back for creating development promotions in Europe and Japan, now seems like it would have been a fun time to watch them swoop in, grab stray talent from all the different splinter promotions, set up "WWE NXT Japan" and watch it fail miserably and cause even more chaos in the Japanese scene.

Ok, so there is no new company, Akiyama's just going to establish a new management company. Shiraishi is giving him everything free of charge. Akiyama has Motoko Baba's "support", meaning he can use the dojo and might get the Triple Crown belts back, and Kobashi is lending his full support, whatever that means.

and Kobashi is lending his full support, whatever that means.

Kobashi will prowl the accounting department and randomly chop dudes. It will be like that WWE'14 commercial with Warrior only with Kobashi and no cameras!

James

• Like 2

Shiraishi is giving him everything free of charge.

Um, why?    Is he still retaining ownership of the company (i.e., any profit the company made would be his in some form or other.  What am I saying?  AJ and profit probably don't belong in the same sentence these days)?

Or does the AJ name have that little value to it?  Or is it more a clase that Shiraishi can't make any money from it if the talent left?

Me confused.  Why can't AJ be like the other respectable Japanese wrestling promotions and split into two smaller, sleazier companies when it fails to turn a profit?

Um, why?    Is he still retaining ownership of the company (i.e., any profit the company made would be his in some form or other.  What am I saying?  AJ and profit probably don't belong in the same sentence these days)?

Or does the AJ name have that little value to it?  Or is it more a clase that Shiraishi can't make any money from it if the talent left?

Me confused.  Why can't AJ be like the other respectable Japanese wrestling promotions and split into two smaller, sleazier companies when it fails to turn a profit?

From what I recall, Shirashi's company was only planning on buying AJPW just to flip it, and turn a profit anyway. Maybe they finally had enough and decided that it wasn't worth anymore time or money and just cut their losses.

From what I recall, Shirashi's company was only planning on buying AJPW just to flip it, and turn a profit anyway. Maybe they finally had enough and decided that it wasn't worth anymore time or money and just cut their losses.

Right. Shiraishi attempted to sell the company back to Muto and negotiations fell through last June, basically because it was cheaper for Muto to use the WRESTLE-1 name and take the talent with him, then to try and buy the trademarks from Shiraishi. That coupled with the fact that he'd have to deal with Motoko again (for dojo usage and the belts that she's been wanting back for years) all had a deciding factor on whether they stayed or left. Shiraishi wanted to give to make Akiyama or Suwama the president in July and both declined, so the fact that Akiyama is finally becoming president is a shout to how bad things really must be in the office.

OAN, Muto and Funaki just did some press plugging a movie or something, and Muto was asked about his thoughts on Akiyama becoming president. He basically said he didn't know, and he didn't care... sooooo, he seems pretty persistent keeping that shitty W-1 promotion going.

Pipe dream time. Muto and Akiyama have a behind the scenes deal. They run Wrestle-1 and the new AJPW separately for like a year or so. Then you do the warring promotions thing with one coming out on top reforming one company.

I'm no business genius but ok maybe I am.

Pipe dream time. Muto and Akiyama have a behind the scenes deal. They run Wrestle-1 and the new AJPW separately for like a year or so. Then you do the warring promotions thing with one coming out on top reforming one company.

THIS would be brilliant.

So it won't happen.

I was convinced Big Mouth Loud was that kind of thing, for NJPW.

Then Shibata went into MMA :P

I think if done right, wrestling fans are always willing to suspend belief if it is convincing.  But it would have to be the top wrestlers, not some mid-carders.  I mean it wouldn't be as big since wrestling itself isn't big but I can see the crowd reacting properly for it and it going over pretty well.

Ugh, bad memories. I was the same. Luckily I didn't get into puro earlier and have to suffer the slow realisation that Zero One was a) legit and b) where Hash would spend the rest of his career.

Ugh, bad memories. I was the same. Luckily I didn't get into puro earlier and have to suffer the slow realisation that Zero One was a) legit and B) where Hash would spend the rest of his career.

Except he didn't and his career ended in HUSTLE and then AJPW really.

I think if done right, wrestling fans are always willing to suspend belief if it is convincing.  But it would have to be the top wrestlers, not some mid-carders.  I mean it wouldn't be as big since wrestling itself isn't big but I can see the crowd reacting properly for it and it going over pretty well.

Pretty much my thoughts. Will help sell out some Korakuen's, maybe 1 or 2 Sumo Hall's would get an attendance boost, but don't see it as being more. Mostly everyone aside from AJ vs NOAH guys have met before anyway.

One thought I always have in the back of my head that makes me really sad is how much money these promotion's in the 90's turned away by not doing interpromotional dream matches. If we thought UWFi vs NJ was big, AJPW vs NJPW would have been double it. I'm talking Tokyo National Stadium big. Can you imagine the profit margins on a year of AJPW vs NJPW followed up by the NJPW vs UWFi series? Shit, take it up a notch and put both feuds on a show. They wouldn't have been able to find an arena big enough for that. Everyone would have made more money, everyone would have become bigger stars and wrestling would have been even hotter(which leads to bigger stardom and bank accounts).

It's amazing how much people are willing to lose to save their ego's. All Japan Women may have made some dumb choices in the end, but at least they saw the big picture.