DVDVR Message Board

The Slender Man Made Us Do It!

J.T.

It used to be the Devil, and now it is the Slender Man inspiring kids to commit attempted murder.

'Slenderman' stabbing: Girls, 12, accused of attacking friend to please creepy character.

I posted in the Something Awful forums around the time that Vic came up with Slendy during the infamous Create A Paranormal Entity Contest.  Who knew back then what that would blow up into?

You could almost write an award winning thesis for your Cultural Anthropology class on how the Internet has helped a meme become an urban legend.  Even the news article describes Slendy as "mythological."

IT IS NOT FOLKLORE, DUMBASSES~! IT WAS A PRANK~!

• Like 1

The slenderman thread was the dogs bollocks. loved that thread. Marble hornets? Quite liked season 1 - but havent had the time to go into the other seasons.

This however...well this is just fucking dumb.

It is dumb.  Those girls need some mental help.  Thank god Wisconsin got rid of capital punishment back in 1853 so that idiots can't whip people into a furor over this, and those girls can get the help they need.

Oh my fuck, my son said something about Slenderman last night. I had no idea where he got it from. He said some guy keeps saying it on youtube.(I guess one of the guys who plays PLants vs. Zombies that records and uploads his sessions.)

That's the end of that.

Oh my fuck, my son said something about Slenderman last night. I had no idea where he got it from. He said some guy keeps saying it on youtube.(I guess one of the guys who plays PLants vs. Zombies that records and uploads his sessions.)

That's the end of that.

Yeah, I think the real story is how an internet meme somehow got a life of its own.  I am constantly amazed by the number of queries in places like Yahoo! Anwers or Ask.com concerning whether or not the Slender Man is a recognized cryptozoolical entity when a second on Google can prove otherwise.

Are we that dumb / naive / gullible as a society or is our desire to believe in something like the Slender Man that strong?

$_35.JPG

WHY IS THERE A FUCKING BOOK ABOUT SLENDY~?  IT WAS A JOKE~!

Are we that dumb / naive / gullable as a society or is our desire to believe in something like the Slender Man that strong?

Don't you work for the government? You know the answer here.

• Like 2

I am constantly amazed by the number of queries in places like Yahoo! Anwers or Ask.com concerning whether or not the Slender Man is a recognized cryptozoolical entity when a second on Google can prove otherwise.

My head just exploded.

Are we that dumb / naive / gullable as a society or is our desire to believe in something like the Slender Man that strong?

Secrets are not my business.   Keeping them is.

• Like 2

I am constantly amazed by the number of queries in places like Yahoo! Anwers or Ask.com concerning whether or not the Slender Man is a recognized cryptozoolical entity when a second on Google can prove otherwise.

My head just exploded.

I am not sure if this is dawn of Bloody Mary for a new generation / the Sasquatch of our time or if this is just people being dumb.  The ultimate expression of Wikipedia says it so it must be true.

Memes have a body count now, because this is a terrible future.

Yeah, you don't hear about this sort of thing about The Rake or see stuff about random sightings of Jeff The Killer.   The Slender Man is on a higher level.

Are we that dumb / naive / gullable as a society or is our desire to believe in something like the Slender Man that strong?

Secrets are not my business. Keeping them is.

So, youre saying the Slender Man was made by DARPA?

Are we that dumb / naive / gullable as a society or is our desire to believe in something like the Slender Man that strong?

Secrets are not my business. Keeping them is.

So, youre saying the Slender Man was made by DARPA?

Let us just say that Area 53 has.... extended borders..

The fact that the state plans on prosecuting these two children as adults is beyond awful. 

I disagree with this statement. These girls had been planning to kill this girl for six months, this was not a momentary lapse of judgement or crime of passion no matter the ridiculous reason (virtually all reasons for murder are ridiculous) for committing the crime.

• Like 1

I think the fact that these girls were so eager to escape reality that they were willing to sacrifice another child and entice the Slender Man to physically spirit them away speaks volumes.

Those kids were fucked up and Slendy is a symptom and not the root cause.  They need shrinks, not laywers. 

I'd also love to sit with the parents and talk to them.  I'm sure I'd end up slugging someone before the interview was done.

• Like 2

I just hope they were not video game players or manga readers.

Oh, you know they were, man.  There is probably a stack of Naruto books a foot tall in each of their rooms.

I think it is hilarious that I have had to do more explaining about the Slender Man to my girlfriend who is close to my own age than I have to my eleven year old daughter.

IT IS NOT FOLKLORE, DUMBASSES~! IT WAS A PRANK~!

It wasn't even a prank, right? Wasn't it apart of a contest specifically asking for people to create creepy photoshop pictures?

This would be like if Lord Byron, John Polidori and Percy read Marry Shelley's Frankenstein, right after they decided to compete over who can make the scariest short story, and were like "Oh my god, someone has to put a stop to these madmen animating bodies after they're dead!"

• Like 1

The fact that the state plans on prosecuting these two children as adults is beyond awful. 

I disagree with this statement. These girls had been planning to kill this girl for six months, this was not a momentary lapse of judgement or crime of passion no matter the ridiculous reason (virtually all reasons for murder are ridiculous) for committing the crime.

I just realized these girls were TWELVE! I think my statement above would have been right had the girls been older but J.T. is right these kids are in a very bad situation for this to have taken place.