DVDVR Message Board

The Godzilla Franchise

GojiColin

Yeah, that was my biggest takeaway from the movie that I wasn't expecting was how deep the beuracracy stuff was.  It's not that they were wrong, it's that they made the "less right" decision and everything was bogged down, which was the point of the ending, where the PM and his cabinet flat out said they were all resigning after Godzilla is dealt with to allow the guys that figured out how to beat it to take over, because the old way ended up causing more damage than acting decisively and outside the box initially would have.  And they have to also figure out how to keep Godzilla frozen because the nuke is always looming over everything.

My only real complaint about the movie was thinking they really should've found an actress that spoke clearer english for Patterson, since she's supposed to have been born and raised in America and the role was english heavy to begin with.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, Raziel403 said:

My only real complaint about the movie was thinking they really should've found an actress that spoke clearer english for Patterson, since she's supposed to have been born and raised in America and the role was english heavy to begin with.  

I haven't seen Shin Godzilla yet, but Toho's got a track record of "acting" by people only speaking english.  Might I remind you of the lead scientist in the '93 Godzilla v Mechagodzilla.

At first I thought that V1 was some sort of creature that was running away from Godzilla; but I love that Godzilla not only plays on the fears of nuclear disaster but our fears of virus outbreaks/mutated strains.

I found the bureaucracy element fascinating because while I'm sure that's how things truly get done, it felt almost like a parody.  Let's have a meeting to have a meeting so we can brief the PM for his meeting.

I don't want to say more at the moment, but that final shot certainly raises some questions.

3 hours ago, GojiColin said:

I don't want to say more at the moment, but that final shot certainly raises some questions.

Personally,

Spoiler

I think the ending is more metaphorical than literal.  Since Godzilla's creation is a man made catastrophe, we are as much the monster as it was.

Hence, the humanoids sporting Godzilla fins.

• Like 1

Goji, it's supposed to be satirical due to the inactivity of the Japanese diet following the meltdown in Fukushima, much like the original was a reaction to, obv, the US dropping the atom bombs and nuclear proliferation in the post-WW II world. The politicians trying to allay the public's fear while being indecisive and losing their shit behind the curtain was exactly what happened in 2011. 

Finally got my copy yesterday. Other than the original, I've only seen the first sequel (Raids Again). What other ones should I watch? Most lists seem favourable towards vs. King Ghidorah (1991) and vs. Mothra. Any others I should watch?

Also, every time I watch a Godzilla movie, the imperialistic marching song gets stuck in my head for days.

• Like 1

What Oyaji said.  If felt like a parody because it was a parody.  It wasn't coincidence that the Diet acted proactively and always seemed to make the absolutely correct decisions when it came to dealing with Godzilla.

It was the exact opposite of how the Diet handled Fukushima Daichi.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

What Oyaji said.  If felt like a parody because it was a parody.  It wasn't coincidence that the Diet acted proactively and always seemed to make the absolutely correct decisions when it came to dealing with Godzilla.

It was the exact opposite of how the Diet handled Fukushima Daichi.

Now I feel foolish because I remember that was mentioned back when it got it's theatrical release.  Scrap and replace indeed.

Spoiler

That does make sense, though at the time I thought it might have alluded to how Godzilla was able to fuel it's mutations.  That Version 1 was, for a lack of a better term, bottom feeding off of humans as it scurried about.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Hanna Barbara was first time around and then for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to make a Godzilla cartoon series out of the 1998 Roland Emmerech abortion.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes, Hanna Barbara was first time around and then for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to make a Godzilla cartoon series out of the 1998 Roland Emmerech abortion.

I'm guessing the cartoon was greenlit before the movie came out. Then they were stuck. 

Got Shin Godzilla rented (along with Colossal, so there's quite the odd double feature over here)

EDIT: That was the best Godzilla film since Gojira. A healthy disdain for government ineptitude, a wickedly violent monster, a strong cast. I would've liked more realistic/less CGI but that's a minor quibble. You just gotta stay on your toes because things move pretty fast and there is A LOT of subtitle reading, but it didn't bother me. Nor did the switching between English and Japanese with the wannabe-President character like some of you, haha. 

Also: "ADDITIONAL TRANSLATION: DUANE JOHNSON" Now I want Rocky to show up in the next one for no reason

On 4/23/2017 at 7:31 PM, GojiColin said:

Honestly it kind of reminded me of the start to Zombi 2 in a way

YEAH! I'm glad somebody else caught that.

EDIT: Except I was talking about the scene in Shin Godzilla not '85

Also, this thread is bereft without this 

...and there's one more thing I wanted to ask. Why is it in Shin Godzilla that some of the military guys are wearing a black and white patch of the Imperial Japanese flag? Isn't that kind of like German officers being allowed to wear a Totenkopf? I know Japan has refused to admit to or apologize for a myriad of war crimes but still... damn. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...