DVDVR Message Board

The Godzilla Franchise

GojiColin

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

Happy 25th Anniversary to the best/worst Godzilla film: Godzilla 1998. i still have my ticket from seeing it in the theater.

Let's not be too hard on 98.  It did have a bangin' soundtrack

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:55 AM, colonial said:

Pluto TV will launch a Godzilla channel next month, featuring over 30 films and the late 90s animated series. 

Pluto provides content for Vizio WatchFree+ and Samsung WatchFree+ so those of us who own smartsets from those maufacturers may get this in our channel line-up without having to log on to Pluto.

There is already a ton of Godzilla and Toho Studios content on Vizio's sci-fi based MISSION channel.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 months later...

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

And you thought I was posting the new new movie trailer

This is based on Legendary's Monsterverse with the events taking place after Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Kurt Russell and his son Wyatt will be playing the same character (due to flashbacks)

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, twiztor said:

Happy 25th Anniversary to the best/worst Godzilla film: Godzilla 1998. i still have my ticket from seeing it in the theater.

So it's getting an anniversary 4k steelbook for some reason. I guess?

On 6/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, odessasteps said:

No love for the 70s cartoon. (😮‍💨

The one with Godzuki? I remember catching it a few times in the late 70s on Sat mornings. Pretty sure it was that and then The Harlem Globetrotters(or vice versa).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Godzilla Minus One hits theaters at the end of November. 

I am in shock that backwater market RVA will actually have showings in theaters near me.  I won't have to make a day trip to DC.

I would be perfectly fine if there were no more big budget Godzillaverse movies and they just threw everything at the Monarch series.  That way I wouldn't have to wait two or three years between installments for a film with a two hour and change runtime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I really hated the last Godzilla Vs. Kong movie. The current/recent US-produced films have been a mixed bag for me. Absolutely loved the first one in 2014, was underwhelmed by the 2nd one (a lot which might be down to how annoying I find Millie Bobby Brown) and, as mentioned, thought the 3rd flick was terrible. That said, my girlfriend and I are two episodes into Monarch so far and still ambivalent, so I'm guardedly optimistic about the future of the US franchise. I'm not convinced that another Kong outing is the way to go though.

Hoping to see Minus One when it opens here in a few days. Shin Godzilla was neither good nor bad for me, but as long as it's nothing like Final Wars I'll probably be happy. 

• Like 1

We saw it yesterday and while the original will always be my favorite this is the best Godzilla movie they've done.  For one it's just a really fucking great movie where the focus is much more on the humans than Godzilla itself.  Shikishima's PTSD about being a kamikaze pilot was really fucking compelling and his quest for redemption had us hooked the whole way through.  With how they did it for him and Noriko when Godzilla was around instead of the "Fuck yeah!" reactions I tend to have there was a real sense of dread and hope that they make it out alive.

And I can't believe I'm saying this for a Godzilla movie but we cried a few times and it wasn't just us.  But in that we were rooting so hard for them and it was all just fucking wonderful.  I don't know if I want this going forward but this movie it really worked.  I don't know about going as far as saying it deserves award recognition.  But if award committees could look beyond it being a kaiju movie I feel it should at least be considered in some way.  Which again is not something I would typically say about a Godzilla movie but it really was that good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

yeah, Minus One is really fucking good. they did an excellent job with emotional character beats. 

of the ~12 Godzilla movies i've seen, this was by far the best. and it's not even close. sadly, the original is not one of those 12.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Godzilla Minus One was probably my favorite movie of the year. It's a shockingly amazing movie at a budget of $15 million, far surpassing any American Godzilla movie. It's everything a Godzilla movie should be. I think the franchise really needed this reset. 

Shin Godzilla is a good movie, and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it's a political satire. The characters are very goofy at times, and I found Godzilla quite childlike in the film. In Godzilla Minus One, he's just a feral beast. He's pure terror, rage, and horror, and you deeply care about all the film's hero characters.

This reset was exactly what the franchise needed since it brought Godzilla back to basics, and it made him scary again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah.  I love Shin Godzilla but it is a dig at the Japanese government's handling of Fukushima Daishi.  It's not a true-to-form Godzilla movie per se.

Everyone ran in different directions as far as their analysis of the ending goes, when the real message was blatantly obvious.  When it came to dealing with the aftermath of the tsunami and the subsequent nuclear accident, humans were part of the problem, not the solution.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah.  I love Shin Godzilla but it is a dig at the Japanese government's handling of Fukushima Daishi.  It's not a true-to-form Godzilla movie per se.

Everyone ran in different directions as far as their analysis of the ending goes, when the real message was blatantly obvious.  When it came to dealing with the aftermath of the tsunami and the subsequent nuclear accident, humans were part of the problem, not the solution.

Mom's been watching "The Days", and I keep trying to find a copy of Shin for her to watch for that exact reason.

• Like 2