DVDVR Message Board

The Godzilla Franchise

GojiColin

If there's ever a reason to dig this thread back up, this is it.  In DC there's a pop up bar where you can drink with Godzilla!  Well, a ten-foot animatronic version, but damn will that be awesome.  Add in old TVs showing Godzilla, anime a manga-covered hallway and cherry blossoms and this sounds like a win to me.  I'm already making plans to go this weekend (lawd help me it'll be beyond crowded) but if you're in the area this is a must for Godzilla fans.

https://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/cherry-blossom-pop-up-bar-2018

Crowded place be damned, I'm getting my picture in the middle of this:

39634693975_b6ef139b61_o.jpg

• Like 2

I watched it as well and enjoyed it as well.  I loved that one brief scene where the two alien races admit to each other that, in true Godzilla fashion, they were planning on conquering Earth; but Godzilla screwed that up so now everyone's working together.  I kind of feel like part 1 was the Godzilla equivalent of Moby Dick, but now the Humans have a much bigger problem to deal with.

I'm really looking forward to part 2.

• Like 1

Yes, I loved that part with the two alien races as well. Even having an idea that something like that ending was coming I loved how it went down. I wonder if we will get to see Mecha Godzilla come into play at any point since we know it exists.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am getting to be the cool dad today.

Thanks to the COVID pandemic, my daughter's Government & Civics teacher has told the class to write papers on the inability of traditional bureaucracy to respond to disasters, so she is going to focus on the Fukushima Daichi incident and I suggested that we watch Shin Godzilla since it is a black satire criticizing the Japanese government's response to the tsunami and subsequent nuclear disaster.

So far, she's loving it.  She has found the mind numbing meetings on top of meetings and the reluctance of everyone important to make a decision unless they are 100% certain it is the correct decision to be the most fascinating parts of the film.   The scenes contrast brilliantly to the parts where Godzilla is rampaging through Japan.

Baby Godzilla freaked her out a little.  I can't wait until she sees Zilla all grown up and breathing laser beams!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

The Shin Godzilla experiment was a success.  We talked about the literal and metaphorical interpretations of the ending and I think she is going to mention it in her paper.  I'll let you know how it goes with her paper.

• Like 5

I really need them to just follow this formula and ti Godzilla and Kong doing a tag team through of the rest of the Toho lineup before the epic throw down with Monster X.

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I really need them to just follow this formula and ti Godzilla and Kong doing a tag team through of the rest of the Toho lineup before the epic throw down with Monster X.

Spoiler

I was waiting for Ghidorah to show up after they destroyed Mecha-Godzilla, but I guess they are saving that.

my buddy is a HUGE Godzilla fan. we've been going back and forth for 20 years about Kaiju battles.  King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) always gets his goat. 

he's been extremely isolated due to COVID. he just got his vaccination and i decided to celebrate by renting out a theater for a private screening of Godzilla vs Kong. we're going tomorrow night and i am PSYCHED!

• Like 5

Godzilla vs Kong was great, better than the three before it I felt.

Spoiler

Glad Godzilla got the clear victory, little 5 year old me has been avenged. Feels like Kong had his story wrapped up but open to the possibility of coming back if needed. My viewing party was confused if the Ghidorah skull was the one from the post credits scene in KOTM. We figured it was but they explained it in a clunky manner.

I think we were trying to keep this thread restricted to the Toho joints, but fuck it.  Here is as good a place to talk about GvK as anywhere.

GvK was the goods.   Loved the reveal, marked for the tag-team, loved the synergy on the Madison Russell / Bernie Hayes / Josh Valentine team.  Monarch needs to give Bernie a job.

I was impressed how the movie managed to explain away how Ghidorah's heads manage to co-exist.

Edited by J.T.

It was a good way to explain away MechaGodzilla's turn.  I'm not sure if the Titan's going dark are just them fucking off because they did what they needed to do, or if the big guy dusted all of them.  

Did they run out of licenced Toho monsters yet?  i'm gonna be dissappointed if we don't get Monster X, Gigan, and Megalon at some point.

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

It was a good way to explain away MechaGodzilla's turn.  I'm not sure if the Titan's going dark are just them fucking off because they did what they needed to do, or if the big guy dusted all of them.  

The other remaining titans should still be alive.  As long as Godzilla is alive and is the reigning alpha, the others stay in line.  Which is why Kong was a problem.

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Did they run out of licenced Toho monsters yet?  i'm gonna be dissappointed if we don't get Monster X, Gigan, and Megalon at some point.

The Godzilla IP license is set to expire soon but I think that Legendary and Toho have a deal that allows Legendary to retain the licenses for as long as they have projects In the works.  Toho is also a heavy investor in Legendary.

I think we'll see Hedorah, Destroyah, Mecha-Ghidorah, or Biolante before we get Megalon in a movie.  Now that Kong and Godzilla or allies, the quality of opposition needs to rise.  Megalon has never posed a threat more significant than Bioante, much less Ghidorah.

Gigan has always had the reputation for being a henchman.  If Gigan shows up, he'll be assisting the BBEM and creatures like Hedorah and Biolante have always been sold as walking extinction events.

Edited by J.T.

Dish just set its Scapes (landscapes) channel (which has ambient nature noises and is good as background) up with a Cherry Blossoms theme for April. It's a Japanese setting with a traditional style building and a mountain in the background, and cherry blossom trees surrounding a lake. Every once in awhile they'll have things like fish floating, animals walking past, etc.

Guess who just stomped through the background out of nowhere? 

MECHAGODZILLA MOTHERFUCKER~!!!

• Haha 3

GvK was the shit. I'm still holding out hope they do another solo Kong movie (maybe one set in the 80s so they could bring back Hiddleston and Larson's characters)

• Like 3

The studio had the decency to put a cover of BOC's Godzilla in the credits of G: KoTM, but they slept on putting a track from Gojira's recent album in the credits for GvK.

I was saddened.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I watched GvK today and felt like it was the best of Legendary's run. The fights were super enjoyable and they did a good job of making Kong the Thinking Man's Titan vs Godzilla the Force of Nature. I really do hope we get another Kong movie though, he looked so good in this film it'd be a shame to write him off now.

Re: Mechagodzilla-

Spoiler

So if I'm right, Charles Dance's character still has Kevin's head.  I believe they say that its the other two skulls acting as the control scheme; which is why when Mechagodzilla goes berserk it tries to execute Godzilla in the same way Ghidorah died in the KOTM.  So possibly Mecha King Ghidorah is still in play.  Or maybe I miss Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...