DVDVR Message Board

Payback '14

Dolfan in NYC

Well, God damn, a 3-0 sweep in the main.  Stephanie *finally* getting something bad happen to her (even though this should have happened 6 months ago). 

That said, Cesaro losing on a sickening 100% no sell, Cena beating Wyatt with his two lackeys, and the break-up of the Rhodeses. 

Eh.

This show definitely over-delivered. Bray-Cena was their best overall match yet, although it felt a bit like Sting-Hogan with a lot of that being due to guys who weren't in the match. Bray took that step shot like a champ though. Sheamus-Cesaro was a perfect opener and wound up being their best match yet. RVD-Barrett was okay, and a bit more memorable thanks to the missed elbow on the post. Torito-Hornswoggle was a laugh riot at times, and goofy bullshit for the wrong reasons at other times. Alicia-Paige was pretty decent, but it didn't hold a patch to the NXT women's title match on Thursday. The Shield-Evolution match wasn't exactly bad, but was...oddly crafted. The storyline should've been a tornado match again, but nope, it's regular rules...except for when it's a crazy brawl. This told a good story overall, but was a bit of a cluster. Great image with the Shield standing tall over HHH as the very end.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/06/wwe-payback-2014.html

Screens -

e4780e330461182.jpg

5f147f330474203.jpg

cfd26f330478313.jpg

1b9789330477045.jpg

59bdd7330482547.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8aeg3qbwqapbff6d8nzvgl1unqmdiqpr

First half and the finishing stretch of that Main was fucking amazing.  

But FUCK that Evolution Wankfest that ate up 10 minutes and made it pretty fucking clear that the only way the Shield won was because Evolution decided to fuck around and send a message instead of taking care of business.

Rest of the PPV was pretty good.  Last Man Standing was way better than I thought it'd be, aside from Cena being Cena.

Crowd was pretty dead for the main event but I liked it. Maybe it dragged a bit with Evolution in control but there was still a lot of fun spots and when Shield took over it got pretty awesome.

Wyatt and Cena was a hell of a match too. Ton of crazy spots. 

Overall it was a solid show.

- Cesaro/Sheamus was great as expected, just two guys beating the ever loving shit out of each other. The ending didn't bother me either, clean but 'surprising' pin so Cesaro doesn't look weak.

- LMS was entertaining, but seriously, why the fuck couldn't Cena lose this feud? he had NOTHING to lose this time, no title or anything, and they could have made Bray a huge threat/star. Wasted opportunity.

- Main event was good but had a weird pace and crowd. Nice to see the clean sweep. Also nice to know that Batista is playing Sin Cara now.

Hmmm, my favorite match was actually Big E/Rusev, which was like a more compact version of Sheamus/Cesaro, except with a better ending. Those two were the best matches, definitely. Lots of brutal strikes, and Big E's spear and Rusev's superkick were just nasty. 

I thought Wyatt/Cena and Shield/Evolution were bloated and over-long, especially the latter. WAY too long and not particularly compelling, even if I get why they would want to cane the shit out of the supposed leader of the Shield to teach him a lesson (though I thought Rollins was the architect). 

My favorite thing on the PPV was actually the Steph/Bryan/Brie promo. Stephanie was just throwing verbal bombs at Bryan, and her "See Bryan? They want you to quit just like CM Punk did" was a BEAUTIFUL troll response to the crowd. That segment ROCKED. 

Anyway, it was a better show than it looked on paper even if everything didn't click all the time. I enjoyed it!

I liked how each member of the Shield got an elimination. Nice touch there. 

Felt like the wrong guy won the LMS match. Cena has nothing to gain from winning this feud, and now Wyatt has to start all over. 

• Like 1

Oh, I guess everyone is posting here. Not that I said anything interesting about the show, but I'm interested in the conversation.

Hmmm, my favorite match was actually Big E/Rusev, which was like a more compact version of Sheamus/Cesaro, except with a better ending. Those two were the best matches, definitely. Lots of brutal strikes, and Big E's spear and Rusev's superkick were just nasty. 

I thought Wyatt/Cena and Shield/Evolution were bloated and over-long, especially the latter. WAY too long and not particularly compelling, even if I get why they would want to cane the shit out of the supposed leader of the Shield to teach him a lesson (though I thought Rollins was the architect). 

My favorite thing on the PPV was actually the Steph/Bryan/Brie promo. Stephanie was just throwing verbal bombs at Bryan, and her "See Bryan? They want you to quit just like CM Punk did" was a BEAUTIFUL troll response to the crowd. That segment ROCKED. 

Anyway, it was a better show than it looked on paper even if everything didn't click all the time. I enjoyed it!

- Cesaro/Sheamus was great as expected, just two guys beating the ever loving shit out of each other. The ending didn't bother me either, clean but 'surprising' pin so Cesaro doesn't look weak.

- LMS was entertaining, but seriously, why the fuck couldn't Cena lose this feud? he had NOTHING to lose this time, no title or anything, and they could have made Bray a huge threat/star. Wasted opportunity.

- Main event was good but had a weird pace and crowd. Nice to see the clean sweep. Also nice to know that Batista is playing Sin Cara now.

Cena beating Bray reeks of Vince. Ugh. It was a fine match until that awful ending. Where does either of them even go from here? They made it sound like the feud is over but I'll be surprised if Usos/Wyatt's doesn't continue. Mind numbing booking there, between that cage match and that ending, horrible pointless drivel.

Evolution-Shield was good, I think the first was better. Glad they didn't do the rumored three on one a Roman Reigns comeback,mI liked Rollins flying around to even the match up and Ambrose braining Orton on the chair.

I agree that the Cena shouldn't have won but I don't think this weakens Wyatt as a main eventer.   Now if they put him against Bryan which is one rumor then yeah it makes absolutely no sense to lose.    We are going to have to wait until tomorrow to really see how much of a waste the finish was

Stephanie has been waiting 5 months to bury Punk and boy did she do a great job of it.   Although is it true that she pissed her pants after getting slapped by Brie or just an internet joke?

• Like 1

This was probably the most physical WWE show I've ever seen. Top to bottom everyone worked their asses off and aside from a few things it was great. I'm 100% on the Rusev bandwagon tonight for reasons beyond being in lust with Lana. The Shetland Hosses match was really short but it was so physical and brutal I want to see them again for longer, Rusev really showed me something tonight.

Also, Hornswoggle just went Hollywood on the press conference. Greatness.

Wyatt/Cena was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  I'm hoping they move onto something else for both guys now.

Breaking up the Rhodes was the most telegraphed thing ever, not to mention a terrible idea as neither one will stay over outside of the team.  I get needing to have the Usos in Cena's corner but if they were going to do this they could have at least had this match be for the tag titles or #1 contender or something to make it seem like it had meaning instead of a vehicle to the obvious breakup.

That Kane/Bo/Kofi bit was the most pointless thing ever.

Main was decent but Evolution having that massively long stretch where they dominated really sucked the heat away.

I really hope they put Alicia, Sandow, and Swagger in a JOB Squad type group of people who snapped due to excessive losing.