DVDVR Message Board

JUNE ANIMATED GIF THREAD

Well TECHNICALLY the "kicking his legs out" part of the spot is based on cartoon physics, but it would have killed the rest of it if he'd just fallen forward.

In a world where the Irish Whip and Slingshot are accepted as valid physics, a double kick to the shins to cause a guy to drop to his knees is acceptable. Is it a bit contrived? Sure, but no more so than a dozen other things that happen in wrestling on a weekly basis.

The kick to the shins doesn't seem that contrived, but the whole allow your partner to be suplexed into your arms, in the perfect tombstone position, and stand there for a few seconds seems a little contrived.  

Well, assuming your friend or significant other was picked up and handed to you like that, would you:

1)  let them fall to the ground on their head, or

2)  grab them and attempt to keep them from falling on their head

Well TECHNICALLY the "kicking his legs out" part of the spot is based on cartoon physics, but it would have killed the rest of it if he'd just fallen forward.

In a world where the Irish Whip and Slingshot are accepted as valid physics, a double kick to the shins to cause a guy to drop to his knees is acceptable. Is it a bit contrived? Sure, but no more so than a dozen other things that happen in wrestling on a weekly basis.

The kick to the shins doesn't seem that contrived, but the whole allow your partner to be suplexed into your arms, in the perfect tombstone position, and stand there for a few seconds seems a little contrived.  

Well, assuming your friend or significant other was picked up and handed to you like that, would you:

1)  let them fall to the ground on their head, or

2)  grab them and attempt to keep them from falling on their head

In a wrestling match....where winning means everything?  Probably let them get dropped in the suplex and move out of the way.  Then I would try and take out my opponent.  Let's just put it this way....I don't see Arn Anderson trying to catch Tully Blanchard during a suplex spot.  He knows Tully is tough enough to take the move and keep on keepin on.  

UBSYV85.gif

Followed by a kick out.

Are we still pretending the it is the 1980s in order to make SRS points?

One of the best and best received tag matches this year with a phenomenal last 5 minutes. But yeah they should have grabbed a hold brother instead.

It's a fucking ROH spotfest. Not the Mona Lisa.

• Like 5

The Bucks are a World tested act and the best tag team in the world right now.

The Bucks aren't even the best tag team in any company they compete in.

• Like 3

So the guy in the tombstone position was the partner of the guy getting tombstoned?

This is approaching "Jean Loring bringing a flamethrower just in case" in terms of business-exposing bullshit.

99 out of 100 people at a ROH show (and 100 out of 100 i-viewers) visit/watch ROH for the kind of show ROH puts on.

It's like the paradox of anti-Chikara arguments. Everyone's in on it. As with Chikara, ROH puts on a specific show that draws a specific crowd. How could the Hammerstein crowd not eat this up?!

Hey - I didn't get it either, at first glance, but these motherfuckers are over wherever they go and it's cos they WORK so damn well. (Ironically for this specific context, the superkick trolling is a big part of their whole heel act.)

1) let them fall to the ground on their head, or

2) grab them and attempt to keep them from falling on their head

So why is the answer to hold his own partner in the tombstone position and wait to get his legs kicked out from under him?

Hey - I didn't get it either, at first glance, but these motherfuckers are over wherever they go and it's cos they WORK so damn well. (Ironically for this specific context, the superkick trolling is a big part of their whole heel act.)

They weren't over in TNA and the only reason they're over in New Japan is because they're in the Bullet Club.

They weren't over in TNA and the only reason they're over in New Japan is because they're in the Bullet Club.

I'd even argue how over they are in NJPW, even being in the Bullet Club.  Being in the BC with NJPW having the shittiest Junior Roster ever is the only reason they're booked as strong as they are.  

On the 90's/oughts NJ Jr Roster, they're working pre-show comedy 10-man tags and not sniffing the Jr. Tag belts or getting Jr. Title shots.

Ok, bro.

It is like logic, rules and stuff don't matter to certain audiences and Wrestling isn't just one thing or something. Weird huh?

They aren't convincing underclass hillbillies from the last century that it is 100% real. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Y'know, I don't get upset when people talk about rednecks in the context of how delightfully trashy pro wrestling can be (example "it was like watching an awesome fight between two surly rednecks") and I already know that people from Appalachia are the one group that nobody will ever step up to defend but bringing up class in such a negative way is pretty tacky. Yes, pro wrestling is generally consumed by poor folks but I prefer to embrace pro wrestling as a populist form of entertainment instead of acting like indy wrestling is somehow just enlightened enough for the upper crust. 

• Like 3

Ok, bro.

Goto/Shibata... Daniels/Kaz... Both better than The Hardly Boyz.

Ok, bro.

Goto/Shibata... Daniels/Kaz... Both better than The Hardly Boyz.

Anderson/Gallows. Archer/Smith, Nagata/Sakuraba...