DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The divas division suddenly got really good after AJ retired. Ewing Theory in full effect.

The Knicks were terrible after Ewing retired.

Listen, they made the Finals with him on the sidelines in a suit. I guess that's why it's called the Ewing Theory but fuck if I know how it was originated. *shrug*

At the same time though, without Ewing, they had absolutely no chance at the Spurs that year. I mean, they probably didn't have a chance even with Patrick but his injury sealed their fate.

Also, I think the Ewing Theory has been debunked in that there is truth to it in the short term because players are capable of raising their games and playing above their heads for a limited amount of time but not over the long haul.

Since WWE seems to be in a slight cost cutting mode, now that Main Event isn't on Ion and is only for the Network, do you think they would save money if they 'cancelled' the show? I doubt it would have any impact on Network subscribers as I don't think it's even close to a selling point.

And finally, do you think WWE would ever consider taping some Raws in advance as a way of saving some $$? With no other wrestling competition on Monday nights, is there a great benefit to being live every week?

I think Main Event airs overseas too and I can't imagine it costs all that much to produce when they are just taping a few matches before Smackdown starts.

My question is how in the hell did he get a separate shoulder getting tossed into the barricade? Did Swaggie glue his hand to Wade's hand or something? It's such a routine bump these days that even the divas are doing it in every other match.

Fuck you guys the prequels never happened

I too no-sell the prequels. They are un-done in my mind. And so there is peace and balance in the Living Force.

Don't get into this. Don't get into this. Don't get into this.

On this date, 7 years ago...

Absolutely nothing happened.

Bullshit. On this date 7 years ago, the Lion King was released 13 years ago (give or take a few days).

Sad for him.  But he can always go to TNA. 

#wrestlingbubble

Nah, Saba Simba wouldn't be a good fit for TNA.

I wish I could take credit for this, but I saw someone in Twitter suggest that Bo Dallas should add a finishing move to his arsenal where he encourages his opponent to not quit and keep trying while he's got him locked in the hold.

LONGTIME WWE ANNOUNCER GONE FROM COMPANY

By Mike Johnson on 2014-06-25 13:25:02
PWInsider.com has heard from several sources that Josh Mathews was let go over the last 24 hours. His profile has already been removed from WWE.com, although the company has not yet acknowledged his departure. His profile is now in the alumni section of the website.

Mathews has been with the company since the original Tough Enough reality series on MTV and had been doing announcing as well as hosting the WWE Network's Raw, Smackdown and PPV Pre and Post Show panels.

I liked the idea of him taking sad sacks like Titus under his wing and restoring their confidence. It could be a serious thing or like the new 3MB. You could even think long term with both Bray and Bo having groups of followers. That's if they ever plan on acknowledging they are brothers. Lots of story potential there.

I was watching Halloween Havoc 90 and Flair being behind the Black Scorpion really works. 

He never intended for the Scorpion to defeat Sting. it was a delaying tactic so Flair could get himself together after a significant loss. 

He was able to send various wrestlers after Sting and he could scout him and learn any weakness's he might have missed.

He gave Sid the title shot against Sting to appease Sid. To prevent Sid from winning he created the fake Sting plan to make Sid overconfident. Then did a crappy job of executing the plan. You know Ric Flair could afford handcuffs. 

After Starrcade, Sting is physically and emotionally exhausted from the ordeal and loses the title. 

Speaking of that Havoc match. WCW really hung Sting and Sid out to dry. The WWF would have had Patterson lay out a good match for them. Instead it is almost like they were meant to bomb. 

I wish I could take credit for this, but I saw someone in Twitter suggest that Bo Dallas should add a finishing move to his arsenal where he encourages his opponent to not quit and keep trying while he's got him locked in the hold.

That was Big Fresh here on this board.

LONGTIME WWE ANNOUNCER GONE FROM COMPANY

By Mike Johnson on 2014-06-25 13:25:02
PWInsider.com has heard from several sources that Josh Mathews was let go over the last 24 hours. His profile has already been removed from WWE.com, although the company has not yet acknowledged his departure. His profile is now in the alumni section of the website.

Mathews has been with the company since the original Tough Enough reality series on MTV and had been doing announcing as well as hosting the WWE Network's Raw, Smackdown and PPV Pre and Post Show panels.

Damn, I've always liked Josh Matthews ever since the good old Velocity days, when he made obscure references to Puro and Indy promotions that most of the audience probably didn't understand.

I thought Matthews was excellent as the pre- and post-game host.  He did a good job steering Booker T away from being too goofy and Riley from being too serious.  Will be tough shoes to fill, imo.

Edit:  Removed quote.

Edited by Uncle Coaster
  • Like 1

Damn, I can't find that moment where John Cena was being his usual goofy self and sort of half-bullying Josh Matthews and when Cena  asks him, "What do you think is gonna happen???"  Matthews is right on the edge and gets in Cena's face and says "I HOPE HE KICKS YOUR ASS." 

I need someone to find this, please. 

It's being reported that Big Zeke and SNITSKY~! are backstage at the Impact tapings.

Snitsky would be a good for fit the Menagerie.

Big Zeke would probably get added to MVP's stable because, well...he's black.

I'm glad. I always hated his Gen Y Quasi-Cole Broke Dick Hipster Ass. He's one of the worst I've ever heard at actually putting over what is happening on the screen and usually just ends up trying to bury whoever he's with in the booth. He was insufferable.

• Like 1

I'm glad. I always hated his Gen Y Quasi-Cole Broke Dick Hipster Ass. He's one of the worst I've ever heard at actually putting over what is happening on the screen and usually just ends up trying to bury whoever he's with in the booth. He was insufferable.

Josh Matthews? The plain as vanilla commentator who has been calling matches and doing backstage segments for over a decade yet is pretty much unknown and personality less to the average viewer?

Always seemed like a guy who did exactly what he was told and fit in well in the wacky wwe culture.

That was Big Fresh here on this board.

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea originally either. I heard it on GameFAQS.