DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Dave Scherer has a high opinion of himself, I guess? :D

WHY THE WWE NETWORK IS A FAILURE THUS FAR AND HOW IT CAN BE SAVED - THE COLUMN VINCE MCMAHON NEEDS TO READ
By Dave Scherer on 6/14/2014 11:51 AM

• Like 2

Dave Scherer has a high opinion of himself, I guess? :D

WHY THE WWE NETWORK IS A FAILURE THUS FAR AND HOW IT CAN BE SAVED - THE COLUMN VINCE MCMAHON NEEDS TO READ

By Dave Scherer on 6/14/2014 11:51 AM

Between that and the fact they blamed the lack of subscribers to the Network on the WWE's house show lineup for that night it's no small wonder why the wrestling "media" is seen as a joke.

As much as I hate those mash-up, themes, the Corporate Ministry's theme was awesome and the gold standard for mash-up themes.  

Still epic.

Last time I heard a "mashup" theme for a team it always consisted of just cutting back and fourth from

one guy's song to the other's every 10-15 seconds.

Have they actually started mixing them together proper?

Last time I heard a "mashup" theme for a team it always consisted of just cutting back and fourth from

one guy's song to the other's every 10-15 seconds.

God, I remember that ROH show I went to where they had Jimmy Rave and Adam Pearce teaming together and mashed their themes together just like that.  House of the Rising Sun and Black Betty are fine songs on their own, but combined like that was about the worst thing ever.

How many matches are there that would be considered the best career match for all the participants? For example, the Royal Rumble LMS match with Cena and Umaga is (arguably) both guys best match. Last year we had that conversation about which wrestler was responsible for the most best matches for others, and I thought this might be an interesting parallel.

• Like 1

So Darius Rucker is a big Ric Flair fan.

"Ric Flair was such a huge part of my childhood and teen years. He's an icon," says Rucker, now an icon in his own right in the entertainment world.

I mean a really big fan

"Years ago at the Jimmy V (celebrity golf tournament), Ric auctioned off one of his robes. I just turned to my band and said, 'I'm getting this. I don't care what it cost me ... I'm getting this.'"

And he's quite knowledgeable

"I'll never forget the first time I saw him on TV... this big, thick kid who was a (storyline) cousin of the Anderson Brothers and nephew of Rip Hawk. I remember when Ric teamed up with Rip to fight Swede Hanson and Tiger Conway Jr. I remember that feud well."

"That argument over who is the greatest of all time is such a big thing. All those New York guys say Hogan. I've watched a lot of wrestling, and even now I'll YouTube a lot of stuff that I haven't seen, like old Bruno matches or Lou Thesz matches that you can get on there. You can watch all the greats. But Ric Flair is the greatest of all time."

It's pretty cool, just a big article with Darius Rucker talking up Ric Flair, getting on Bret Hart for not doing the job to Shawn Michaels and lamenting the lack of face/heel structure nowadays.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140615/PC20/140619508

• Like 2

What are the best (Non Royal Rumble) battle royals that people have seen?  I want to watch some this week.  I love a good battle royal but they're not something I ever think to go back and watch again.

I like the January 2006 one on Smack down that Angle won for the Championship.

Also the one mid 2011 where Mark Henry killed the Usos

How many matches are there that would be considered the best career match for all the participants? For example, the Royal Rumble LMS match with Cena and Umaga is (arguably) both guys best match. Last year we had that conversation about which wrestler was responsible for the most best matches for others, and I thought this might be an interesting parallel.

Good question. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels in Hell in a Cell at In Your House 18: Badd Blood.

Others:

Kenta Kobashi/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue, AJPW, 9th June 1995.

John Cena vs. CM Punk at Money in the Bank 2011 or John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan at SummerSlam 2013.

Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erick Rowan vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns from Elimination Chamber 2014.

Bret/Austin at Mania 13 or Bret/Davey at SummerSlam '92 could be in the running.

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin's Submission match from WrestleMania 13 gets my vote for best of both.