DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Could Scott Norton, if built up correctly, have made a good WCW champion? I grew up with NJPW and he always impressed the hell out of me. Seeing him in play such a tiny role in WCW later on was weird to me. That said, I have no idea whether he was any good on the mic. But, even if that were the case, if you gave him a mouthpiece, could he have been a 'good' champion?

I doubt it.There was only a small window between Vader and Goldberg who were both way better as monster aces, and he didn't compare favorably to Giant or Nash who filled most of that void either. Even though Norton was better in the ring, he wasn't as impressive physically and was completely overshadowed in the charisma department by those two. His WCW ceiling was probably something close to Meng. Actutally, that would've been a great feud to see who was the world's toughest midcarder.

If Meng & Norton had been a tag team ... Katie, bar the fucking door.

Norton was always a guy that i thought he would do better than he did. this was before i knew he was a star in Japan. he always seemed like he should be just destroying people. he's built like a brick shithouse, has a legitimate rep as a toughman and arm wrestler (including being in Over the Top), and had the best powerbomb around.

that being said, and with a more understanding of the biz, he didn't have much chance in WCW. didn't work a full time wcw schedule, didn't come from WWF, AND big overseas? not gonna happen in the Hogan regime.

If Meng & Norton had been a tag team ... Katie, bar the fucking door.

There's always WCW/NWO Revenge to live out these fantasies.

You're right. Could be the team that finally knocks Savage & Raven from their decades reign as tag champs ...

• Like 1

I believe that may have been cited in the Zahorian Trials.

"...the boys need their nosesnacks."

Patterson? Strongbow? Some inner-circle suit.

I believe that it was Patterson with the "boys need their candy" line.

I'm picturing Patterson saying this while dressed up in some Party Monster-type rave gear

I was watching Bret Hart and Austin (the submission match) from WM 13 yesterday. I can't believe I totally missed the fact that Bret bladed Austin. That epic bleeder was administered by Bret. You can see him stashing the blade before he whips Steve into the guard rail and then moves in and makes the cut. He even glances back to make sure the camera man doesn't catch the action.

I feel like Meng took on Norton on a 99 Thunder in the US title tourney. I know there was a Meng/Bigelow match.

Internet says Meng beat Bam Bam in the first round and lost to Scott Steiner in the second.  Norton wasn't in the tournament.

This is all I See in 98 or 99

WCW @ Charleston, WV - Civic Center - November 6, 1998
Chris Adams defeated Lodi
Vincent defeated Barry Horowitz
Perry Saturn defeated Fit Finlay
Lex Luger defeated Scott Hall via disqualification
Lex Luger & Meng defeated Scott Hall & Scott Norton
WCW World Champion Bill Goldberg defeated the Giant

WCW @ Pittsburgh, PA - Palumbo Center - November 7, 1998
Fit Finlay defeated Perry Saturn
Lex Luger defeated Scott Hall
Meng fought Scott Norton to a no contest

WCW @ Johnstown, PA - November 8, 1998
Perry Saturn defeated Fit Finlay
Lex Luger defeated Scott Hall via disqualification
Lex Luger & Meng defeated Scott Hall & Scott Norton

Norton did wrestle Rick Fuller on a Nitro in 98 which sounds pretty cool.

Damn, I forgot all about Rick Fuller. He was one of my favorite 6:05 on tha muthaship guys. I would always play as him in that crappy Thunder video game.

Checked his Wiki, too:

In 2008 Fuller competed for New Japan Pro Wrestling, where he formed a tag team with Giant Bernard.

I'm sure that's old hat to most people here, but I'm not a huge Japan guy (I only started going through FMW like 3 months ago) so I'm pretty excited to check that out.

Damn, I forgot all about Rick Fuller. He was one of my favorite 6:05 on tha muthaship guys. I would always play as him in that crappy Thunder video game.

Checked his Wiki, too:

In 2008 Fuller competed for New Japan Pro Wrestling, where he formed a tag team with Giant Bernard.

I'm sure that's old hat to most people here, but I'm not a huge Japan guy (I only started going through FMW like 3 months ago) so I'm pretty excited to check that out.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7h433_njpw-giant-bernard-rick-fuller-vs-t_sport

I know there is a semi active debate about whether guys like HHH buried under card guys. Well I just saw Rhino debut in ECW against Taz and it is the worst burial I have ever seen. 

Rhino got in one power bomb that was no sold and then Taz made him look like a joke. 

Then they replayed the entire match on the TNN premier. It is a wonder Rhino did as well as he did.