DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Yoshi goes back to New Japan. Bourne as Sydal goes back on the Indies. I could see McIntyre and Clay fairing well in Japan. JTG Mahal and Hawkins are gonna be undying it up. Aksana will get by on looks. TNA and ROH will pick up the ref. And I'd assume Teddy is just gonna chill at home and hang with Ron Simmons.

The Wrestling Hipster: 5 Moments That Justify Your Hatred Of John Cena

http://uproxx.com/sports/2014/06/the-wrestling-hipster-5-moments-that-justify-your-hatred-of-john-cena/

YEAH! Take that! Yes, it's in jest.

Brandon Stroud can suck a big black rubber dick. 

He once bragged about skipping the Triple H/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at a Wrestlemania he attended live. 

He's like the fucking people who comment at the Scott Keith blog with an even bigger sense of self-importance. 

• Like 4

During the era when he was regularly working Masters, Christian, and Hardy, McIntyre was one of the best workers on Earth. He easily has the biggest upside and I'd pick him to have the best success of the ten, but it'd be really fun to see someone unexpected like Camacho or Jinder become something surprisingly awesome when left to their own devices. From their perspective it's a tough deal as they'll all be taking pay cuts (Teddy in particular) but selfishly from a fan's perspective a lot of these releases (Drew, Brodus, Bourne, Tatsu) are good news.

I don't know if anyone else suggested this, but they could go by the European Union. Of course since it's WWE, they'd eventually abbreviate it to the EU, but it'd still be awesome.

Not only has it been suggested, but it's an idea that has been around since Regal was in WCW in the late 90's. Possibly the most fantasy booked suggestion in IWC history outside of a Cena turn.

I don't want to be a dick or anything, but Cesaro/Barrett/Sheamus as stable seems like a fresh idea to me. Actually, yeah, Regal as a mouthpiece would be a pretty sweet idea-- shit, you could even throw Paige in if you wanted to. I vaguely remember the ideas you're talking about from when I was young, but I think this group would be a lot different than Regal/Finlay/Alex Wright or whoever the popular suggestions were in those days.

During the era when he was regularly working Masters, Christian, and Hardy, McIntyre was one of the best workers on Earth.

Consider the high praise those three get from that era, though.

Drew McIntyre was one of the best workers on earth? eh? Besides that overrated Chris Masters match what else did he do?

Well, to be fair, he didn't specify the number. He could've been, say, one of the best five hundred workers on earth.

With a blank slate and given the choice of WWE workers, Drew would be very high on my list of guys to build a company around. He does a lot of things really well, and has a great look. It's been four years now since he was truly relevant, but a company with a good structure in place (which unfortunately is only the WWE here) can easily rebuild and make him a star again. 

With a blank slate and given the choice of WWE workers, Drew would be very high on my list of guys to build a company around. He does a lot of things really well, and has a great look. It's been four years now since he was truly relevant, but a company with a good structure in place (which unfortunately is only the WWE here) can easily rebuild and make him a star again. 

Maybe Jeff Jarrett can insert him into the database?

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!  WHAT'S DREW GALLOWAY DOING IN THE IMPACT ZONE?!"

Here's a thought though - with the stink that anybody from WWE going to TNA apparently gets these days, and with TNA being on its (theoretical) last legs, do any of these guys actually try to go to TNA?

Also, this isn't a shot at anyone in particular, but I am so ready for the near-meme "[MIDCARDER] was one of the best workers on Earth/on the planet (back then)" and its variants to stop.  There's hyperbole, there's exaggeration, and there's just being plain silly.

For a good year or so in 2010-2011, McIntyre was absolutely one of the best workers in America, and I was enough of a fan to say “the world.” He was #33 on the 2010 Wrestling KO 100, and #18 in 2011. If IWRG handhelds hadn't been so great at the time, he'd have been ten spots higher in both. I'd have had him top 20 both years.

YMMV if you think that Masters match is overrated (though they actually had two really good ones on TV within a few months), but he had several good Smackdown/Superstars matches over the course of a strong 12-18 month run where he worked a lot with really good workers.

That said, it never felt like he was being carried. Perhaps when he first debuted and was in singles w/ Finlay in '09, but everyone looked inferior to Finlay back then. Especially toward the end of that big '10-'11 run, he outworked Hardy and Christian. He was unbelievably agile for a dude his size, had great strikes, and was a natural at smart bumping and selling.

But perhaps more impressively (and a reason why he doesn't get deserved credit), he was someone who looked awesome even in four minute TV matches against bad undercarders. And man, he worked all the bad undercarders. Tons of matches with guys like Vladimir Koslov, Mason Ryan, JTG, Kofi, and Alex Riley that were worlds better than they should have been. He became the guy who put bad workers over because he made everyone look good. Sort of a young Regal that way. In a different era he could have been Greg Valentine or Bobby Eaton, guys who could travel the territories by improving others.

The whole Taryn Terrell incident came right at his peak, and must have been a real disaster to his status in the company, as he was remarkable for a long time, and physically looks like the fantasy dream date that Vince draws in the margins of his notebooks during dull meetings. For a while there internally he was being compared to Orton in terms of how far they wanted to go with him.

• Like 3

Having met Alvarez a couple times, I sure wanna punch him.

Back in the day (was there a day?) I worked around Alvarez at a local show as he did commentary and basically buried stuffing instead of potatoes he was talking about. When talked to about it, he blew people off that had a LOT more time in the business than him.

Fed up, I just asked him "Is Dave Meltzer nice in person?"

He wasn't happy. Then again, nobody was there.

I once paid money to get into a show with Bryan and Vinnie in a tag match.

Sad sad sad.