DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Well, King of Trios should be fun this year.

Can they afford Honky Tonk Man to team with 2MB? If not, there's always this guy:

hammer2.jpg

There's also the Rock n Rave Infection ... brrr ...

Meltzer finally got around to posting an update

An episode of Black Friday came a day early this week.

WWE, which has not have a massive release of talent in a long time, to the point the only talent that had been let go were usually people whose contracts had expired and weren't being used.

The number of releases are likely a casualty of cost cutting since the company was projecting losing $45 million to $52 million thi year.

Names released so far today are:

Aksana - She never really improved past a certain level as a wrestler.  With Alicia Fox breaking up the team this week, there was no apparent role for her.  Then again, Rosa Mendes seems to have survived with even less of a role and more drama.

Evan Bourne - He hadn't been used in seemingly years, since a serious foot injury put him out for a long time.  It's probably the best for all concerned because if he is healthy, and he was cleared some time back, he could be a very strong addition to either a TNA or ROH roster.  They clearly had no interest in using him for a long time.

Camacho - He had been used only in NXT of late and had no role since Hunico became the second Sin Cara. 

Brodus Clay - He was turned heel, but then his character was dropped.  He also had done a program in NXT with champion Adrian Neville and made one recent appearance on Raw in a run-in.

Marc Harris - A referee

Curt Hawkins - A wrestler who had rarely been used.  Few even remembered he was still with the company except he did a recent NXT match.  He's opened a wrestling school recently.

Teddy Long - A very good television performer and talker.  With The Authority storyline, a babyface GM role didn't fit.  At one point they had a storyline started with he and Booker T, but everything was dropped cole and he hadnt been seen at all.  There was no television role in the company for him at ths point.    

Jinder Mahal - Someone they were somewhat high on but he didn't do anything to stand out on the main roster.

Drew McIntyre - McIntyre fell victim to the Chris Masters syndrome. He was a tall guy with a good body and a good look who they thought would be a superstar, so they pushed him super hard and the fans rejected the push. In time, he turned into a very good performrer, but they'd treated him like a joke in booking by that point for too long.  3MB was as good as it could have been given they were booked like the ultimate buffoons.  And that role does give you limited upside mobility and shelf life.  In his case, having been on TV in this role for so long, even though he's really talented, I don't know if there is a place for him past working indies, and in Europe he probably can do well. New Japan is already overloaded with foreigners and right now he's not what TNA needs, with the idea of pushing a guy coming directly off years as a WWE joke character.   

Yoshi Tatsu - Another good wrestler who they had lost interest in.  He was very over at least in appearance in his rare NXT appearances.  But developmental isn't a place for a wrestler in his late 30s.

Brian Myers ‏@TheCurtHawkins  18m

@TheMarkHenry: Here we stand. Still here!!! pic.twitter.com/V20Wu0v0Tx” Your colleagues lose their jobs & you tweet that? You're an idiot Mark.

Someone is getting testy today.   Deservedly so but still 

Now that he's unemployed, he can't afford to pay his air bill.

INB4NE1ELSE.

• Like 3

Thoughts:

• Drew McIntyre

I liked his initial run a lot. Didn't he get really hurt at some point? He's a decent comedy guy in 3MB but it's a good question whether or not it's worth paying a guy to stomp on the mat    during mini's matches.

• Jinder Mahal

He was always fairly brutal. His stand-out moment were his claims to be "the funny one" in early 3MB promos.

• Aksana

One of the more worthless Divas ever. She was absolutely awful in pretty much every aspect of being a professional wrestler.

• Curt Hawkins

I legitimately had no idea who he was until he showed up on NXT a few weeks ago. And I can't remember him anymore.

• Theodore Long

He had one of the longest on-screen runs of anyone in wrestling history. That's a huge accomplishment. He went from referee, to managing the unmasked DOOM, to being a face jobber manager in WCW, to his various WWE roles. What a really long career.

• Camacho

He was decent in his NXT run against Adam Rose. Other than that, I don't remember him doing anything much at all.

• Brodus Clay

I actually thought he was getting really good in NXT against Neville. I liked those matches a lot and he came off as a really good bully. But the Funkadactyls stuff was a gigantic waste of time.

• Evan Bourne

His lasting impact on the WWE will be his Shooting Star Press into the RKO. A history of injuries combined with wellness policy violations is a difficult career arc for a guy whose size is already a check mark against him.

• Yoshi Tatsu

Fun character in ECW. Lasted a really long time without doing anything else of note. Probably some missed potential there but not anything too crazy.

Meltzer finally got around to posting an update

Drew McIntyre - ...right now he's not what TNA needs, with the idea of pushing a guy coming directly off years as a WWE joke character.   

Right, unlike someone like super serious Derrick Bateman now getting a push as the owner's son.

I don't get the Drew love either. He was incredibly uncharismatic and decided to get "good" AFTER his big push instead of doing anything with the big push.

Yeah, how dare he get better after working more matches? Why couldn't he, as a 24 year old with no experience of big time wrestling, have great matches right out of the gate and be super charismatic?

• Like 2

Always liked Drew.  Had some really good matches in developmental, had some fun moments in 3MB.  "Ya gotta have FAAAAAITH!"

Never "got" Jinder other than being the straight man in 3MB.

Aksana was there forever and never got any better.

No idea why they never found anything for Camacho to do.

Selfishly happy that I'll get to see Bourne back on the indies.

So will Naomi and Cameron get a new team name?

Bryan Alvarez ‏@bryanalvarez  1m

Does kind of suck that my birthday is now associated with 10 people getting axed

WHAT ABOUT ME! WHAT ABOUT ALVAREZ!

• Like 13

I don't get the Drew love either. He was incredibly uncharismatic and decided to get "good" AFTER his big push instead of doing anything with the big push.

Yeah, how dare he get better after working more matches? Why couldn't he, as a 24 year old with no experience of big time wrestling, have great matches right out of the gate and be super charismatic?

Being tall and have magnificent hair is not the same as being charismatic. Nor can you teach. He got a big push like quite a few people in that time frame and he is the one that did the worst.

Being tall and have magnificent hair is not the same as being charismatic.

Kevin Nash's feelings are hurt.

• Like 2