DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Is Pro Wrestling banned in D.C.? There is WWE and UFC but the closest thing to Indy Wrestling was an ECW Show from 2000 in a Nightclub. Did anything rowdy happen there?

I was at that show, actually. It is notable for a giant black dude coming out of the crowd and pasting Rhyno with a chair in the middle of his match, which Rhyno no sold and tried to fight the dude until security got them apart. The fan was way bigger than any of the bouncers and they basically couldn't physically remove him from the club, so they ended up letting him watch the rest of the show flanked by security. It was a weird scene. I think the main event was Justin Credible v. Masato Tanaka? I also remember it was the first ECW house show after Sabu tried to sign with WCW, and Fonzie was working the merch stand and just getting bombarded with smarktastic questions about it.

I love him so much. watching the wwe network it's hilarious setting him as a referee ALL OVER the place, the 92 Rumble in particular where he's way overselling kicking anyone out if the ring. I can't help but yell "DADDY!" after everything I see him mouth.

what's he doing these days?

They are building to Bugs vs Sam. 

Million Billion Stars.

Best thing about this video was them bringing back the Shawn Michaels blackout "Tell Me a Lie" song for the Cody video.

I couldn't believe my ears. That was AWESOME. I've actually never watched the JBL & Cole show, but I've heard fantastic things about it. I guess I picked a really good one to randomly start with.

It also made me miss Cody's mustache in a very awkward way.

This was apparently five minutes before the start of a TNA show last week. Lonely Virgil could draw better.

Lance Storm went to a TNA house show and took this picture.

I just typed three massively long paragraphs about how infuriating everything about TNA is, how they're hemmoraging money but will probably toss a bunch of cash at Ezekiel Jackson to be in MVP's little faction because he's another black guy who was IC champ once five years ago for 20 minutes, how stupid Jeff Hardy's Willow angle is, every piece of awesome talent and all the missed opportunities that have fallen through their hands over the years, etc. but really, it was a total waste of time. What I should've wrote is simply: fuck this company.

• Like 1

Is Pro Wrestling banned in D.C.? There is WWE and UFC but the closest thing to Indy Wrestling was an ECW Show from 2000 in a Nightclub. Did anything rowdy happen there?

Since WWE runs the MCI center, it might be better to ask if wrestling is cost prohibitive for indy groups b/c of the commission?

I can't really think of a building in the DC area that is just the right size for an indy of over 200 - 500 fans unless you want to spend money and take a room in the DC Convention center or a large ballroom in a hotel.  I am not sure why there has been wrestling at the 9:30 Club except the owner want nothing to do with it. 

I loved that DC ECW show in 2000 but man that was a horrible location for a show.   it was at "The Nation" in the really bad part of DC at the time.  Although an argument could be made most of DC in 2000 was a bad 'don't walk after 10 PM' part.   The matches itself weren't that great but the main event was just about as insane a brawl you can get without blood or going outside the guardrails

The 930 club doesn't have a good layout for a wrestling show, at least from what I remember. It's also one of the most well known clubs on the East Coast and every concert there is a sell out and has been for years, so I can't imagine they are too eager to bring in an Indy that is going to draw ~200 without a ton of alcohol sales. Like Hammerva was saying, there just isn't a club in DC that is the right size for an Indy show right now. For what it's worth, that ECW show was absolutely packed. 

Didn't WCW used to run at the Armory? 

EDIT: WCW @ Washington DC - Armory - January 12, 1991 (1,350)
Tim Horner defeated the Black Angel
Minotaur defeated Allen Iron Eagle
Brian Pillman defeated the Big Cat
Ricky Morton & Tommy Rich defeated the Master Blasters when Morton pinned Blade
Michael Wallstreet defeated Terry Taylor
WCW TV Champion Tom Zenk defeated Arn Anderson
WCW Tag Team Champions Doom fought Brad Armstrong & WCW US Tag Team Champion Rick Steiner to a double disqualification
WCW US Champion Lex Luger defeated Sid Vicious

Brad and Rick Steiner vs Doom is such a weird match. 

WCW @ Washington DC - Armory - April 19, 1991

Bobby Eaton defeated El Cubano
Dustin Rhodes pinned Black Bart
Brad Armstrong pinned Dutch Mantell
Sting & Brian Pillman defeated WCW TV Champion Arn Anderson & Mike Graham (sub. for Sid Vicious)
WCW US Champion Lex Luger fought Nikita Koloff to a double disqualification
WCW Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated Terrance Taylor & Master Blaster Steel (sub. for Barry Windham)
Ron Simmons pinned Butch Reed
El Gigante defeated WCW World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification

Ok, Arn and Mike Graham is weirder. And Master Blaster Steel is the worst sub for Barry Windham ever.

Didn't WCW used to run at the Armory? 

EDIT: WCW @ Washington DC - Armory - January 12, 1991 (1,350)

Tim Horner defeated the Black Angel

Minotaur defeated Allen Iron Eagle

Brian Pillman defeated the Big Cat

Ricky Morton & Tommy Rich defeated the Master Blasters when Morton pinned Blade

Michael Wallstreet defeated Terry Taylor

WCW TV Champion Tom Zenk defeated Arn Anderson

WCW Tag Team Champions Doom fought Brad Armstrong & WCW US Tag Team Champion Rick Steiner to a double disqualification

WCW US Champion Lex Luger defeated Sid Vicious

Brad and Rick Steiner vs Doom is such a weird match. 

WCW @ Washington DC - Armory - April 19, 1991

Bobby Eaton defeated El Cubano

Dustin Rhodes pinned Black Bart

Brad Armstrong pinned Dutch Mantell

Sting & Brian Pillman defeated WCW TV Champion Arn Anderson & Mike Graham (sub. for Sid Vicious)

WCW US Champion Lex Luger fought Nikita Koloff to a double disqualification

WCW Tag Team Champions Rick & Scott Steiner defeated Terrance Taylor & Master Blaster Steel (sub. for Barry Windham)

Ron Simmons pinned Butch Reed

El Gigante defeated WCW World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification

Ok, Arn and Mike Graham is weirder. And Master Blaster Steel is the worst sub for Barry Windham ever.

Steel was Kevin Nash, right?

Twisted question. Best David Flair match?

I remember him and Slash Venom as a Tag team in Puerto Rico having a good brawl with some team that I'm forgetting now. I wanna say it was Glamour Boy Shane and Ricky Banderas.

The 930 club doesn't have a good layout for a wrestling show, at least from what I remember. It's also one of the most well known clubs on the East Coast and every concert there is a sell out and has been for years, so I can't imagine they are too eager to bring in an Indy that is going to draw ~200 without a ton of alcohol sales. Like Hammerva was saying, there just isn't a club in DC that is the right size for an Indy show right now. For what it's worth, that ECW show was absolutely packed. 

I've never been to the club and I live nowhere near there, but I'm a huge fan of wrestling shows in unusual or non-traditional venues, so I googled a picture of it. I must say, to me, it looks PERFECT for a show:

SOpethQ.jpg

Got to love wrestling on local cable access channels.  There was a show on tonight in Northern VA called "Pro Wrestling around the world".  In the span of an hour I saw a match with NWA Tennessee with Menance vs Adam Firestorm,  an awful indy match in Oregon, and embarassing battle royal in IWWWA promotion, Lars Andersen vs Kevin Sullivan in what looks to be early 80's Polynesian TV show, and a Mike Quackenbush match from Chikara about 2 years ago. 

They are also shows Championship Wrestling from Hollywood which is pretty missable except for a match or two

Got to love wrestling on local cable access channels. 

During my "I don't watch wrestling anymore" phase of like 1990-98, most of the wrestling I saw was laaaaaate at night on local cable access from the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis. 

I think from 1991-94 I saw more Dumptruck Dave Perry matches than Bret Hart matches.