DVDVR Message Board

1980s AWA Viewing Deadline - UPDATED OCTOBER 13TH

goodhelmet

• 2 weeks later...

Re-posting my top 25 and bottom 5 for posterity -- sucks my comments from the old board went away as I only kept minor notes in my actual ballot!

TOP 25
1. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (8/30/86)
2. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Wahoo McDaniel (8/28/83)
3. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (11/21/86)
4. Da Crusher & Greg Gagne vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey (Cage Match) (3/25/84)
5. Stan Hansen vs. Crusher Blackwell (6/28/86)
6. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (Cage Match) (12/25/86)
7. Ken Patera, Jesse Ventura& Bobby Heenan vs. Hulk Hogan & High Flyers (3/13/83)
8. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (Cage Match) (1/17/87)
9. Stan Hansen vs. Leon White (3/13/86)
10. Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Rick Martel (9/29/85)
11. Stan Hansen vs. Sgt. Slaughter (2/23/86)
12. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Rick Martel (9/20/84)
13. Stan Hansen vs. Curt Hennig (5/31/86)
14. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (5/2/87)
15. Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86)
16. King Tonga, Masked Superstar, & Sheik Adnan Kaissey vs. Crusher Blackwell & Sgt. Slaughter (Cage Match) (4/21/85)
17. Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig (7/16/88)
18. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (1/27/87)
19. Ric Flair vs. Magnum TA (9/28/85)
20. Wahoo McDaniel vs. Manny Fernandez (10/15/88)
21. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig (3/7/87)
22. Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Kaissey vs. Baron Von Raschke & Mad Dog Vachon (Taped Fist Match) (3/13/83)
23. Jerry Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie vs. High Flyers (Cage Match) (4/18/82)
24. Manny Fernandez, Teijho Khan & Soldat Ustinov vs. Robert Gibson & The Top Guns (6/12/88)
25. Crusher Blackwell vs. Masked Superstar (3/7/85)

BOTTOM 5
150. Steve Regal vs. Buck Zumhofe (11/28/1985)
149. Adrian Adonis vs. Hulk Hogan (10/17/1982)
148. Rick Martel vs. Brad Rheingans (9/9/1984)
147. Jerry Blackwell vs. Billy Robinson (12/3/1981)
146. Nick Bockwinkel vs. Billy Robinson (12/25/1981)
145. Sherri Martel vs. Debbie the Killer Tomato (7/26/1986)

That was some misleading numbering on my part -- Regal vs. Buck is the clear 150! Just put them in reverse order for some reason, so I checked my ballot to make sure. Martel vs. Brad is not my favorite, but it was hardly bad. Regal vs. Buck was 2 minutes of boring work drawn out to 20+ minutes and I'm still mad I sat through it.

I wonder if the Regal/Buck match will be a more decisive 150 match than that Butch Reed/Dick Slater No DQ match that ended in a DQ on the Mid-South set. Sad I can't go back and revisit that thread now.

Regal and Buck was probably going to finish last no matter what, but in light of the Buck molestation charges there damn sure isn't going to be anyone cutting him any slack or going to bat for an admittedly low level match like that now.  I still contend there were worse matches on the set (though only a couple), but it's hard to argue against a match that pits a serial sexual abuser against the worst wrestler in AWA history

Wasn't sure where to put this besides here. Getting caught up on listening to the Wrestling Party podcasts, just wanted to correct one error that came up in Podcast #18. Col. Debeers was not the original manager of the Truth Commission in WWE, the Commandant was played by a South African actor named Robin Smith who got the job as a friend of Bret Hart.

I found out about the deadline 5 days ago and I realized that I watched the first four discs and still haven't watched the rest. Since then I have watched 3 more discs and I will get it done, no matter what! 

My list may be weird, due to memory, but it will be there.

I downloaded this just now to help put my ballot together.  Haven't participated in a vote before but I just need to complete the 150 ranking ballot portion right?  I see other sheets to rank tag teams and feuds.

Once you fill in the 1-150 portion of the ballot, the tag team/feud portion of the ballot will fill themselves in.

Guys keep watching!!! Rippa and Dean are hard at work on trying to give us the easiest access to the old forum at least as a view file. This is a small hiccup. 

The final date to turn in an AWA ballot is extended to October 1st because of the problems in salavaging the old forum. That is the final deadline extension and we will have the results shortly after. 

The final date to turn in an AWA ballot is extended to October 1st because of the problems in salavaging the old forum. That is the final deadline extension and we will have the results shortly after. 

You'll be doing a results podcast, I assume?

As long as Chris Harrington is on board, of course. 

As long as Chris Harrington is on board, of course.
I am looking forward to it.The only hitch will be that I'm going on vacation with my wife from 10/3 to 10/8. Either we'll record late from a hotel room in Disney, something on 10/2 (which is possible) or after I get back.