DVDVR Message Board

1980s AWA Viewing Deadline - UPDATED OCTOBER 13TH

goodhelmet

OK, I talked to Phil Schneider tonight and since the lucha set is close to completion, we chose September 15th as the viewing deadline for the AWA set. Rippa said there may still be a way to transfer the 1980s folder over so I am holding off on creating a new one. That gives people almost 2 months to get their ballots finalized. The lucha set should also be ready to mail out by that time so it will all work out. OCTOBER 1ST !!!!

And if you need some help getting through the AWA set, Will, Kris Z, and me...along with a bunch of others did a series of podcasts called the AWA Wrestling Party where we sync up and watch the set and provide our own crazy hilarious take and commentary, ala MST3K but with marking out. Trust me, it beats the actual commentary.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=126382&cmd=tc

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showforum=356

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow missed this topic. I've been through the set once but am re-watching some stuff I didn't feel too strongly about either way to try and get a sense of how to rank everything. Should be done well before the deadline, but it'd be nice to have the 80s forum posts back in some way even if it was just read only.

Rippa and Dean are working on this. As soon as we know if we can retrieve the old forum, we will have an update. We are about 80% done with the lucha set. Phil and I have a handful of matches to watch and we'll have the Lucha 100 list ready to go as soon as the new forum is up and running.

I'm not going to say it's impossible for me to get a ballot in if we don't get the 80s sections back on the board, but it's going to be very hard for me to do so as I had disc ratings and my thoughts on every match I watched stored there. I had preliminary top 50 and bottom 30 worked out so I can sort of guess on the rest if I have to but I think the deadline has to be on hold until it comes back. Which isn't me pushing Phil so much as me saying that we should nix the date. If the stuff is back up by Sept 1, then sure, great. Otherwise, the deadline should be fifteen days after the forums come back up or something. Is that reasonable?

I completely agree with Matt on this.  In theory I think the timing of the deadline is fine, but without that forum I am fearful we are going to have a lot of people who watched the whole set, participated in the process and end up not submitting a ballot.  I could put together a decent ballot without access to it, but it would help me a great deal as well.  If it is at all possible to retrieve that forum - or even just the AWA stuff from that forum - the deadline should wait until that happens

Yeah, I know there is access to the old forum one way or the other. Last update, the trick was to see if we can save just that forum and transfer it or maybe get it in archive form. I won't hold to the deadline until the forum issue is resolved. However, we will start promoting the lucha set and releasing the lucha 100 this week to get the hype rolling. 

I am not quite sure where to put this, so I hope this is not inappropriate.  I saw or heard Wil say somewhere (this may in fact have been on one of the podcasts) that he saw the number of people who ordered the AWA set and compared that to the number of people who downloaded the Talkshoe AWA Party podcasts, and the downloads were much greater.  Well, I'm one of the guys.  I guess I got turned on to the forum over here about six months ago when I saw mention of the Wrestling Coulture podcast on another board.  The first one I heard was the episode where Wil was on there as a guest.  From there, I kinda found out about Talkshoe and checked in occassionally on the old DVDVR forum and learned about the AWA wrestling party.  I downloaded the episodes on my Kindle as they came out, and I listen every night before crashing at bed time.  Great stuff.  My favorite episode was the all-star cast when Wil, Johnny Sorrow, Johhny P, Kris and Dave did commentary.  I havent even seen any of the discs yet, but I have seen most of the matches before (sometimes years before), but it is a blast to listen to you guys talk AWA. Kudos to you all.

I want folks who haven't seen much lucha to pick it up. It is pretty diverse, there is going to be something on there for everyone, great 70s style title matches, spectacular mat work, crazy high flying and spots, cool old school tag and trios wrestling and some of the most hellacious bloody brawls in wrestling history.

I will probably end up getting it just to provide Dylan with hours of amusement, and mainly because it's a lot of fun to keep up with things at the same time as everyone else and participate on the board and what not. I missed out on all the pre-AWA sets so I don't want to here on in.