DVDVR Message Board

Pages, Panels, Pin-ups... Covers

Brian Fowler

Just now, Johnny Sorrow said:

That's awesome.

Funny what you could see in the windows of Bay Area bookstores in the early 1960s. ?

10 hours ago, OSJ said:

Any good title is worth stealing...

Image result for league of grateful dead

Those covers are fucking dope, man. Thanks. And the coolest thing is that the story of how Garcia came up with the name "The Grateful Dead" doesn't mention these. The Dead were originally "The Warlocks" and then they found out some other band already had that name. They were sitting around all stoned and Jerry started flipping through the Oxford Dictionary and saw the entry "Grateful Dead ", as in the Medieval English folktales. 

But, Jerry was also a huge, huge fan of the pulps and comics growing up so it's totally possible he saw those and there was a latent memory of them when he opened that dictionary. 

If I was a kid again I'd print those out onto t-shirts and make some money at Dead and Company this summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Those covers are fucking dope, man. Thanks. And the coolest thing is that the story of how Garcia came up with the name "The Grateful Dead" doesn't mention these. The Dead were originally "The Warlocks" and then they found out some other band already had that name. They were sitting around all stoned and Jerry started flipping through the Oxford Dictionary and saw the entry "Grateful Dead ", as in the Medieval English folktales. 

But, Jerry was also a huge, huge fan of the pulps and comics growing up so it's totally possible he saw those and there was a latent memory of them when he opened that dictionary. 

If I was a kid again I'd print those out onto t-shirts and make some money at Dead and Company this summer.

More specifically (and more significantly) they were smoking DMT.

8 hours ago, J.H. said:

easily the Best moment in comics history imo

James

I think so. Just a perfect moment, done flawlessly. Sums up everything Superman is and should be. When I first read that issue, I legitimately cried at that. It still moves me every time I see it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.H. said:

easily the Best moment in comics history imo

James

50 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think so. Just a perfect moment, done flawlessly. Sums up everything Superman is and should be. When I first read that issue, I legitimately cried at that. It still moves me every time I see it.

I'm with you guys. Choking me now at 06:30am in the morning UK time.

Edited by The Natural

On 5/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Pete said:

Mistermiracle04-00.jpg

OverlordMM2pg4_sml.jpg

MrMiracle04-04TheClosingJawsofDeath.jpg

jack-kirby-mister-miracle-splash-panels-

The new Mister Miracle TPB I nabbed at FCBD is like 300 pages of pixie-straw sugar. KIRBY IS HERE!

I just got the Artist's Edition in at work and I can't wait to be able to pay for the thing, take it home, and really dig into it. 

Also got New Gods, The Maxx, and Byrne's X-Men to join Romita's Spider-man at home. I love Artist Editions even as my wallet hates them.

• Like 1