DVDVR Message Board

Pages, Panels, Pin-ups... Covers

Brian Fowler

I really love Kingdom Come.  It's so interesting the care they took with everything including Magog who characterizes the 90s Ugly Character who still managed to develop some pathos and understanding.  Its also like the ultimate in Easter Eggs checking out panels for side characters.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I really love Kingdom Come.  It's so interesting the care they took with everything including Magog who characterizes the 90s Ugly Character who still managed to develop some pathos and understanding.  Its also like the ultimate in Easter Eggs checking out panels for side characters.  

It's this and the Top 10 books (Moore/Ha) for Easter egging. Plus anything and everything Will Elder drew.

I think what I like dabout that little Batson/Captain Marvel tidbit was that Waid was going off the Fawcett/Beck template for The Big Red Cheese i.e. Batson and Cap are 2 different personalities with different levels of maturity as opposed to Ordway's take of it being child in a man's body with superpowers

James

If you want to see the worst case of "Look no feet"-ism, go look at Michael Turner's Fantastic Four covers from the McDuffie run. 12 covers, dozens of characters to draw, ZERO feet. It's almost admirable, until you realize that the energy he put into hiding feet could have been channeled into learning how to actually draw feet.

I remember really digging the American Harlock comic, which was sadly not an officially licensed property. Ben Dunn drew a pretty nice and clean Harlock and company. I mean its not quite Matdumoto but pretty good.

661487-captain_harlock_10.jpg

James

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 5:29 PM, D.Z said:

Look no feet.

Judgment+Day+Omega+%25282+of+4%2529+-+32

Lol, feet are the least of Liefeld's problems in that panel.  I'm more bothered by Shaft's ridiculously over-muscled anatomy and the impossibly skewed perspective.  Is there any way that cigarette wouldn't be the size of a log in real life?  Oh, and how do you have to cock your head so that Shaft appears to be standing straight up but the rest of the room is tilted?

But, yeah, feet.  Boo! 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2019 at 7:31 AM, Goodear said:

latest?cb=20080724230011

Did you know that if you look at the New X Men Log upside down it is still right side up?

I saw it on twitter.

At the time it was new, I remember people speculating that the entire reason for the title change was because Morrison came up with a logo he liked.  No proof, but given that he was involved in the logo and costume designs for a lot of stuff he worked on, I can totally see it.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, J.H. said:

I remember really digging the American Harlock comic, which was sadly not an officially licensed property. Ben Dunn drew a pretty nice and clean Harlock and company. I mean its not quite Matdumoto but pretty good.

661487-captain_harlock_10.jpg

James

I've heard a lot of people talk this series up.  I've seen the Waltrip brothers' art and of course Dunn's in a lot of places and really like both, and Harlock is one of my very favorites; I'd like to find copies someday but know I probably won't.  There are so many insane 80s stories of "we thought we had the US rights to this Japanese thing, but it turns out that the people who sold us those rights didn't have them to sell" that it's completely bonkers.