DVDVR Message Board

Pages, Panels, Pin-ups... Covers

Brian Fowler

Fair enough.  I liked most of the DC work he did back in the day, but it depended on the book.  Something creepy (Elseworlds Batman book vs. vampires) or supernatural (Deadman, Demon, etc.).  Wouldn't have wanted to see him on JLA or Captain America.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 6:44 PM, Victator said:

Land and Kelley Jones are the only artists I can think of that will ruin a comic for me. Early on Land seemed like a good artist, I don't know what happened. 

I have that reaction with Rob Liefeld.  He is great comic historian and fan.  I follow him on some Facebook groups and we have similar tastes in comics from our youth.  His art just never wowed me .

Todd McFarlane used to get a hard pass from me  as well.  But he has kind of grown on me over the years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justin877 said:

I have that reaction with Rob Liefeld.  He is great comic historian and fan.  I follow him on some Facebook groups and we have similar tastes in comics from our youth.  His art just never wowed me .

Todd McFarlane used to get a hard pass from me  as well.  But he has kind of grown on me over the years.  

Todd's early stuff was fantastic. I really loved his Infinity Inc run... he did some really inventive layouts there.

infinity28pg11.jpg

• Like 1

I can concur with the early Infinity Inc.   and early Spiderman , Hulk, I tuned out on McFarlane around Spawn everything just started looking the same.  In recent years I have warmed back up him though.

But then again my favorite Image artists were Jim Lee and Erik Larsen for different aesthetic purposes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still don't understand how/why he didn't become a bigger name.  I loved his work on Legion.

I've always assumed he either gets steady work outside of comics and didn't want a greater commitment, or simply couldn't keep up with a monthly title.