DVDVR Message Board

Fargo

Jrag

Moreover:

Next season will be set in 1979 and feature young Lou (!!!!!). (Although I guess young Lou can't be played by Keith Carradine, so...maybe fewer !'s?)

But it won't air until Fall of '15.

• 1 year later...

HEY MOTHERFUCKERS

FARGO IS BACK AND WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?

So I love Kieran Culkin. It's always befuddled me that he didn't get more work after completely stealing SCOTT PILGRIM. So I'm watching the first 10 mintues of this season, and I'm like, "Hell yeah, my man Kieran is about to get his due! Big up to my other man Noah Hawley for recognize his talent and givin him a central role on this great show!"

Although somehwere in the back of my mind, I was thinking, "Kinda weird he wasn't featured more in the commercials since he's obviously a big part of this season."

Then he got hit by a car, and I was like, "Oh."

But then he showed up alive again in the basement!

And then he was dead all over again.

Such a roller coaster ride.

• Like 1

Forget about the split screens, let's talk about dissolves in episode 2. SO. MANY. DISSOLVES. At one point, they dissolved, like, 5 shots in a row in rapid succession. So trippy.

All of that business with the finger at the end was just tremendous.

But the breakout star of the night was MIKE MILLIGAN. What a fun character. Stole the show with the typewriter and Ted Danson at the end.

What I love about 'Fargo' is that every character is interesting to me and someone whose backstory I'd like to know more about.  Mike Milligan and the Kitchen Brothers.  Bear (That guy is just an unending series of interesting questions.  What happened to his wife?  What happened to his hand?  Why doesn't he wash off his cast?) Gerhardt.  Dodd Gerhardt.  The squirrely typewriter guy.  Everybody is super-interesting and I could watch entire episodes about what they've done previously to bring them to this moment in time.

And, man, Patrick Wilson!  I've always liked Patrick Wilson, but I know him as likable guy who's kinda wimpy ('Little Children', 'Watchmen', 'Lakeview Terrace') and thought he was totally wrong for the Lou Solverson character who was still tough in season 1, despite being old and hobbled.  That showdown with the Gerhardt family where he spoke up and said "I'm the one who found the guy, so maybe you ought to be dancing with me." was so old-fashionedly polite but bad-ass.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

YOOOOO!  I know I'm slow catching up, but why aren't we talking about the best show on TV?

Lou Solverson is pretty much Coach Taylor from FNL if Coach had seen some shit.  I mean that it in the best possible way.  He's just about the purest babyface of all time.  

Loving the Gerhardt family dynamic.  The inevitable Dodd/Bear fight is going to be soooooo epic.  You just knew Bear's kid was going down.

I'm probably the only one, but I want them to commit to this alien sub plot!

Top 5 Favourite Characters From This Season

5. Ronald Reagan (Bruce Campbell): I'm not sure we'll see him again this season, but I loved him speaking and moving Nick Offerman's character to tears but the scene where he compared his film role during the role to Lou's actual war record was amazing.

4. Karl Weathers (Nick Offerman): How am I just now finding/figuring out that his name is KARL WEATHERS?!  Anyways, he's just this periperal character with a weird beard who's so amazing and I want to watch an entire episode about.  I mean, a quick Google reveals that he's a local lawyer, so what's he doing using the bathroom (Or "stressing the pipes" as Ted Danson's character said) at the mechanics?!  Or why was he moved to tears by Reagan's speech then refuses to shake his hand because "he starred in a movie with a monkey"?!  Or when he asked Lou to find out if Joan Crawford really had crabs?!  Such a great minor character.

3. Betsy Solverson (Cristin Milioti):  There's a fascinating inner strength to her that I find so good and interesting that you don't see on modern TV very much.  And it makes sense, because Molly would have to inherit that same strength from both parents.  Also, it's weird how undersold 'Fargo' is for providing interesting, different roles for women that aren't just "good-looking girl" or "love interest".  Molly, Floyd Gerhardt, Betsy, even Peggy Blomquist are all completely three-dimensional characters played by female actors of various ages that don't really fall into your typical TV tropes.

2. Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson): I mentioned before that I didn't think Wilson was a good choice prior to the Second Season which I completely take back now because he's been so incredible throughout.

1. Mike Milligan  (Bokeem Woodbine): Mike's the best.  The way he seems really friendly but isn't.  The way he might be the most dangerous guy in the whole show, but doesn't show it.  I'm really fascinated by him.  It's kind of a neat juxtaposition to Billy Bob Thornton's character of pure malevolence where you have a guy who's friendly and nice to your face, but dangerous  beneath it.

• Like 3

Man, I think Peggy and Dodd are my favorite characters just because Dunst and Donovan are so into these characters. Like deep, deep old school method acting.

I think Dunst has that qualities and characteristics you might have wanted out of Tolman last season. She won me over as soon she made that facial expression after Sheriff Larsson brushed off Constance's idea that someone hit the Gerhardt kid with a car and fled from the scene. I need a GIF of that STAT.

So, ah, yeah, the 1st series of Fargo was the best thing on TV last year...and this series is even better.

Top 5 Favourite Characters From This Season

5. Ronald Reagan (Bruce Campbell): I'm not sure we'll see him again this season, but I loved him speaking and moving Nick Offerman's character to tears but the scene where he compared his film role during the role to Lou's actual war record was amazing.

4. Karl Weathers (Nick Offerman): How am I just now finding/figuring out that his name is KARL WEATHERS?!  Anyways, he's just this periperal character with a weird beard who's so amazing and I want to watch an entire episode about.  I mean, a quick Google reveals that he's a local lawyer, so what's he doing using the bathroom (Or "stressing the pipes" as Ted Danson's character said) at the mechanics?!  Or why was he moved to tears by Reagan's speech then refuses to shake his hand because "he starred in a movie with a monkey"?!  Or when he asked Lou to find out if Joan Crawford really had crabs?!  Such a great minor character.

I didn't think Bruce Campbell as Ronnie Reagan extolling his war efforts in Operation Eagle's Nest while taking a piss could be bettered but then a slightly inebriated Karl A. Weathers busted out his Sledgehammer of Justice on the establishment's rogues and tools of the state and oppressed their jackboot tyranny.

Reagan/Weathers spinoff stat. Hell, Reagan can make him part of his campaign team, if only so Karl can eventually find out if Joan Crawford really did have crabs.

So many fantastic characters.

I just caught up on this over the past couple of days and yeah, it's by far the best thing on television at the moment and I'm not sure it's close. Apologies to The Leftovers and a lot of other real quality shows but I think Fargo having a clearly defined beginning, middle and end for the season helps put it over the top. Just incredible television. I fucking love this show. THIS IS HOW YOU TV MOTHERFUCKERS

This season rules. I think my favorite character is Floyd. I love how dignified she and strong she has remained throughout all this whole mess. I know her trigger-happy kids played her, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see it unfold that, no, they didn't.

But the show is just so well done and interesting and fun. Like, a lot of shit has happened the past few episodes, but the show hasn't become plot-driven either.

• Like 1

I thought Ted Danson and Patrick Wilson both delivered really cool and awesome manly moments in this last episode when they each refused to back down in the face of overwhelming odds against.  Ted Danson saying "That's how it's going to be" as he puts his hand on his gun was so awesome.

And man was Nick Offerman incredible in that scene standing up to Bear and you can see tears forming in his eyes as he's just terrified that this is the end for him and the way he stands there after they back down and you can just see this feeling of relief and horror in his eyes.  It kind of reinforces the idea that while Ron Swanson was a great character, Offerman can do and should do so much more.

Anyone else watch the trailer for next week? Kansas City dude talking to Mike Milligin: "you have two days or I'm sending the undertaker."

Yo.... what if "the undertaker" is Lorne fucking Malvo?

Aw, man, you got my hopes up too. Maybe he was Lorne Malvo's grandfather.

Still, that was a badass scene.

This fucking show though, they'll bust out some heavy duty carnage one minute then I'll be giggling the next when they throw in stuff like: 'Walk her out, huh?'/'What about you?'/I'm not saying don't come back' or Karl having to sleep on the sofa on account of his bad back (you know, it hurting when he sleeps on the floor) then the next minute they'll bring a tear to a glass eye with the 'Listen, if John McCain could sur...' scene.

Bear was incredible in this episode.

Liked them throwing in Danny Boy because it's a beautiful song and, hey, Miller's Crossing and all that. Snow will never not look fucking gorgeous on camera too, I mean, holy shit at those overhead shots.

So...Ted Danson was abducted by aliens. Didn't see that coming.

That was legit one of the best episodes of TV ever.  I was hoping for a Dodd/Peggy spin off about halfway through.  So many great performances. From Danson to Woodbine to Donovan, but how fucking great is Kirsten Dunst in this? She might be the greatest and I'm pretty sure she just won an Emmy last night.

Ed mumbling "you want a pop?" to Hanzee, while his face was still red from the almost lynching, is maybe the funniest thing ever put on screen.  I had to pause because I was laughing so hard.

So many great runner-up comedy moments though.  Dodd's face right at the beginning when Ed comes home and you realize Peggy has just been talking straight at Dodd for who knows how long.  Dodd trying to signal to Ed that Peggy stabbed him complete with the blink twice call for help.  Peggy force feeding him beans.

Jeffery Donovan needs to be in more shit.

• Like 2