DVDVR Message Board

Fargo

Jrag

All caught up now.  MOLLY LIVES!  Malvo goes GTA mode!  Scumbag Lester!  AHHH GEEZ.

Seriously, how fucking great is this show?  I think I marked the hardest for the damn title card this week.  Incredible cold open and then FARGO in big red letters with the ominous music. So good.

EDIT: THE DARKEST KEY AND PEELE SKIT EVER!!!!

• Like 2

Allison Tolman is pretty awesome for someone with the least amount of screen acting experience on the show. 

The last episode reminded me that we need more Keith Carradine.

• Like 1

Holy crap at Lester in smug prick mode. That smirk in the police corridor at the start. Feeling the need to throw in 'you know you're not half the man your brother is' during his interview. Getting his end away with Hess' wife while staring at a picture of him. Goddamn.

Probably not going to work out well for you in the end though, pal.

Loved the scene with Malvo fucking shit up in the Fargo building with the mirrored windows. It'd have been easy (well, not easy, but you know what I mean) to just show all the blood and carnage but I dug imagining it instead. Not that I'm some kinda sociopath that frequently imagines blood and carnage but, again, you know what I mean.

Everyone in it is pretty great, agreed on Tolman and you know the cast is great when Carradine's only been the 7th or 8th best person in it (although as said, he needs more to do obviously) and you know a show is great when I don't mind Colin Hanks that much, a guy who is usually acting narcolepsy and who if you cut open would bleed beige. 

Even minor characters in somewhat minor scenes have impressed me, I've found myself re-watching the scene from a couple episodes back with Hanks' neighbour telling the parable of the rich man who gave everything away including his life because I thought dude who played the neighbour was really good in it. 'Only a fool thinks he can solve the world's problems.' Oh, you betcha.

• Like 2

Is anyone else like me and thinks that Lester is now the biggest heel on the show? I’ve been rooting for Malvo’s schemes to work out but I’ve found myself disliking Lester more and more but in a good “you’re supposed to hate the heel” way (although the scene of him banging Hess’ wife and the interview scenes were awesome).  I feel like Malvo is like a force of nature (which is a trait that many Cohen Bros villains share ala Anton Chigurgh and Gaear Grimsrud) and that rooting for the cops to get him is like rooting for the authorities to put down a bear that ate some dumbass hiker that decided to sleep in its den or something like that. He’s a predator and that’s what they do while Lester was essentially a decent guy who only needed a little nudge and now he’s just a full blown scumbag.

Colin Hanks was meant to play a certain type of babyface and this is it.  He should pretty much stick to some version of nice guy/fuck up for the rest of his career.

I agree. He's always been an actor that while I haven't out and out hated that I just either dislike whatever character he plays (like Orange County) or don't pay much attention to him onscreen (King Kong).

Lester is an awesome heel. A lot of times, I wind up rooting for the heels in TV shows just because I'm a jerk, but I legit keep hoping Lester will get his. This show is just wonderful and glorious.

Sepinwall tweeted that he strongly advocates people to watch tonight's episode live. I won't be able to since I'm going to see Chef, but thought it might be a good head's up for y'all.

One thing I've noticed about the show is that the first segment is always very engrossing. I am on the edge of my seat before the 1st commercial break; it sets up the rest of the episode. Most other shows don't start as hot as Fargo.

I'm impressed with how seamlessly he's gone back and fourth between chickenshit Lester to suave/confident jabroni beatin' pie eatin' Lester and back to the chickenshit. I mean, it doesn't seem fake or disingenuous at all. I'm blown away.

• Like 1

Billy Bob Thornton in this episode was, well:

tumblr_n72pez8q0v1r9d3blo1_500.gif

Probably his best episode yet for me.

Him and Freeman have ridiculously good chemistry too. The actress who played Linda did a crapload with relatively few scenes, I thought Lester to be the worst human being on the planet for sending her to death even more so than Malvo for actually, you know, killing her. 

A Stephen Root appearance is always a plus for me too.

• Like 2

Just watching now. This show is SO good. I haven't read any of the above to avoid spoilers but I love this show.

How is Colin Hanks not more of a star than he is? I mean, everyone in this is terrific. But that guys hits the ball out of the park in pretty much everything he's in. I loved him in Mad Men and he was also very good in that Orange County movie that was way better than it should have been.