DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: THE PATRIOT (Del Wilkes)

RIPPA

So, the Patriot. 

It's weird, with all these kids on the board now. I remember pretty distinctly coming home from elementary school in 1991-2 and watching Global on ESPN. I remember being pissed off when it was interrupted by the MLB Expansion draft. I remember being awed by Cactus Jack and the Cartel and I remember The Patriot getting blinded by the Dark Patriot. He's probably the key Top Babyface (see, Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Sting, Luger, etc) of my first fandom. It was probably because his finisher was a dynamic top rope move. That was a hell of a lot more exciting to me at 9 or 10 than Hogan and Warrior. And he had a mask! There was something really earnest and honest about him that came through. You could just tell the guy loved wrestling in a way that Hogan or Sting or Luger didn't. 

And that's basically it. I wasn't watching WCW when he was there. I didn't catch his WWF run. He retired shortly thereafter. I kind of like him and Bagwell as a team.

He has a pretty good shoot because the Baba stuff is really interesting. I imagine he's got some pretty good japan matches I haven't seen too.

• Like 2

Let me deflect. No, it's true. As a 9 year old, my favorite wrestlers were the Rockers, Brian Pillman, and a year or two later, I was probably super excited for Max Moon to debut. Guys that I talk up now like Eadie or Haku or 90-91 Slaughter are not wrestlers I had any time for as a kid. 

Let me deflect more. I think the mask is pretty necessary, if only because of his heavy accent. He's probably got the heaviest accent of any wrestler ever. I know what he sounds like and it's still offputting to hear him in an interview in WCW. 

I was watching a WCW SN from right before Superbrawl 1995 the other day and it was set up really well. There'd be a match and immediately thereafter, you'd get an interview with Mean Gene to set up the PPV. WWE should just do Smackdown like this now. It let everyone talk and get over their programs. Well, the main event was a pretty okay Stars and Stripes vs Harlem Heat match that's mainly notable for how big Booker T's bumps were, and it was set up by Sherri slapping Bagwell, so Bagwell got to talk first. Heat had the belts and were going up against the Nasties at the PPV. He said what he had to say and then it was time for Patriot to speak and I had to do a triple take.

I was just wondering the other day how successful he would have been in the WWF had he not gotten hurt. He got a pretty big early push feuding with Bret, though I think they were starting to cool him off a bit when he was injured. I always liked him.

Too bad about the gimmick going to Tom Brandi. The Patriot was good wherever he went. I made a two-disk set of him in All Japan. I'll stop posting the match lists in these threads if you guys want me to.

THE PATRIOT IN ALL JAPAN

Volume 1
Running Time: 1:59

5/17/92 Patriot, Johnny Smith vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue
5/24/92 Patriot vs. Steve Williams
5/31/92 Patriot, Johnny Smith vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada
6/14/92 Patriot vs. Kenta Kobashi
7/12/92 Patriot, Richard Slinger vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada
7/26/92 Patriot, Billy Black vs. Giant Baba, Akira Taue
7/28/92 Patriot vs. Stan Hansen
8/2/92 Patriot, Sonny Beach vs. Stan Hansen, Johnny Ace
8/16/92 Patriot, Kenta Kobashi vs. Abdullah the Butcher, Kamala II
9/13/92 Patriot, Jackie Fulton vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue
9/20/92 Patriot, Kenta Kobashi vs. Steve Williams, Terry Gordy
10/4/92 Patriot, Johnny Smith, Dory Funk Jr. vs. Giant Baba, Jun Akiyama, Masa Fuchi
10/21/92 Patriot, Kenta Kobashi vs. Steve Williams, Dan Spivey
11/22/92 Patriot, Eagle vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada
12/6/92 Patriot, Eagle vs. Stan Hansen, Johnny Ace
12/13/92 Patriot, Eagle vs. Steve Williams, Terry Gordy

Volume 2
Running Time: 1:55

2/19/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Steve Williams, Terry Gordy
2/25/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Kenta Kobashi, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
5/14/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Steve Williams, Terry Gordy
5/20/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Doug Furnas, Dan Kroffat
8/20/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Steve Williams, Tracy Smothers
8/23/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue
8/31/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Jun Akiyama, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
9/3/93 Patriot vs. Kenta Kobashi
9/29/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Dory Funk Jr., Takao Omori
11/13/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Steve Williams, Bubba Rogers
11/17/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Stan Hansen, Giant Baba
12/1/93 Patriot, Eagle vs. Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi
2/20/94 Patriot, Johnny Ace vs. Stan Hansen, John Nord
2/27/94 Patriot, Eagle vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue

At a point where I was way more into guys like Mankind and whatever oddball wrestler when I was a kid, Del Wilkes seemed super authentic and cool to me in WWF back then. He wasn't top of my list by any means but the dude was just good at pulling the gimmick off, even if he didn't do anything cool at all aside from having a neat mask and talking well (the accent helped). Bret kicking his ass helped put the anti-American gimmick over perfect and I honestly would have loved to see them go a couple rounds with each other, but alas, that wasn't in the cards. 

I can't believe I just wrote that much about the Patriot. Wow. (his Global stuff isn't bad either btw)

I will tolerate no bad talk about Del Wilkes.   Met him when he worked the Patriot gimmick at Ground Xero Wrestling in Prince George, VA.  Really nice dude and willing to talk about just about anything.

He was pushed pretty strongly when he had is cup of coffee in the WWF wasn't he? Or was that just by extension of the fact he was fueding with Bret? Literally the only exposure I've ever had to the guy