DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs. Moraga (7/27/2013) - Seattle, WA (KeyArena)

Elsalvajeloco

Bonuses:

Fight of the Night: Ed Herman vs. Trevor Smith

Knockout of the Night: Melvin Guillard

Submission of the Night: Demetrious Johnson

Johnson's Armbar finish on John Moraga is the latest a fight's been finished in UFC history. The previous record? Anderon Silva's Triangle Armbar on Chael Sonnen at UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen.

Must suck for Michael Chiesa, losing his perfect record by tapping out with one second to go via Jorge Masvidal's D'Arce Choke.

• Like 1

Hendricks will knock Rory the fuck out just like he will GSP. Actually, check that; if records indicate anything, Hendricks KTFOs GSP in the first round and then decisions Rory. You can't stop the motherfuckin Baconator.

Silliness aside, I thought that was a hell of a performance by DJ. It's nice to see a champ finish a fight that deep and exactly how Hume called for it. Had that been Greg Jackson, he probably would call for DJ to coast through the 5th round. Flyweight is a bit of a boring division though, because I can't see anyone stepping up to beat DJ anytime soon. At least the fights are exciting enough.

As for Guillard, I can't get excited for that guy anymore. He looks like he's starting on one of those runs again, which will end in an epic collapse. I'd like to see him put it all together, but I think his fight IQ is fairly lacking.

Guillard's KO of Danzig was one of the most brutal I've ever seen, especially with Danzig waking up crying.  I've never seen that, and it was the saddest thing. 

Also, I'm all for Women's MMA, but there was something unsettling about Carmouche just pounding on Andrade for a full minute or so in full mount.  I also was unnerved when Meisha Tate was bloodied up in the Zingano fight.  Come to think about, I never enjoyed any Cyborg fights, but I think that's because it just looks like a man brutalizing a woman.  I didn't get freaked out for Rousey fights (even the gruesome Rousey-Tate armbar*) or any other of the Strikeforce / Elite XC fights that I remember.  I guess I just don't like seeing women get visibly hurt.  It's weird.

* probably didn't freak out because it just didn't look real.

Demetrious Johnson fights are pretty boring though. He's just another one of those safety first champions, where he never looks in danger. That time when the 205 title changed hands every fight is going to go down in history as the peak of the promotion, because of the unpredictability.

Oh well, UFC disappears from UK television now anyway. It's only available over the phone now.

It wasn't the peak of the promotion because of that though.  I don't remember those fights really setting the world on fire with PPV buys.  Other than a few times, the LHW title fights as a main event were usually around 500k ppv buys.  It was the peak of the promotion because it's when Lesnar was in the UFC and like every other event seemed to have a huge fight on it.   

In 2008 the UFC had 12 PPVs.  2 were over a million buys and two more were over 600k.  3 of those 4 had Lesnar on the card. 

In 2009 it rose to 13 PPVs.  1 broke a million buys(UFC 100).  5 more were over 600k with one of them being just shy of a million.  Lesnar only fought once but it was the year that saw GSP turn into a legit draw and BJ created a lot of interest too.

In 2010 it jumped to 15 PPVs.  2 broke a million(the Rampage/Evans grudge fight and Lesnar/Carwin) and Lesnar/Velasquez was just under a million.  GSP fought twice and both of those were over 700k.  But this year started a trend.  Adding more cards meant the cards wouldn't be as stacked as in previous years.  2010 started with three events in a row not even breaking 300k.  They'd end up with 4 events that year not breaking that number. 

2011 was 16 and 2012 was 14.  They haven't broken a million buys since Lesnar left although they came close with Silva/Sonnen 2 and GSP/Diaz. 

But it's not even just the rise in PPVs which really isn't that significant.  It's the rise in cards altogether.  Last year there was 32 fight shows from the UFC alone, split between PPV, FOX, Fuel TV, and FX, not to mention the TUF series.  In 2008 there was 20 events total.  That's a big difference.  Not to mention the addition of more weight classes and female fighters.  It's a lot to keep up with and keep interest across the board. 

2008-2010 was the peak to me in terms of quality of the cards, keeping interest in the game, and just being able to keep track of shit for me.  They had 20 cards in 08 and 09 and 23 in 2010.  That's a good amount to me.  They jumped up to 27 shows the year after that and 32 last year.  They've already had 17 so far this year and will end up with at least 28 based on what's scheduled that we know about right now.  They've just got so many fighters in the organization right now because they've absorbed the WEC and Strikeforce and added 135 and 145 and then added 125 on top of that and added the female division as well.  It's a ton of fighters and they're struggling now to get them exposure and everything is so spread out that people aren't really seeing a lot of great fights. 

Sorry for being long-winded, work is slow this morning. 

Demetrious Johnson fights are pretty boring though. He's just another one of those safety first champions, where he never looks in danger. That time when the 205 title changed hands every fight is going to go down in history as the peak of the promotion, because of the unpredictability.

Oh well, UFC disappears from UK television now anyway. It's only available over the phone now.

I don't think Demetrious Johnson is boring at all.  I don't see how you can call him safety first when he attacked the entire time and eventually finished the fight with a submission that he set up throughout the entire fight.  He took Moraga down 10+ times and kept attacking the Kimura until Moraga eventually overextended himself and was submitted.  That shows a very high level of grappling skill as well as dogged determination to keep attacking the arm even after he could have just coasted to an easy victory.  It is very technical, but not boring.

Rory MacDonald is trying to go the GSP route and try to win fights inthe least dangerous way possible.  The problem is that GSP has a history of smashing high level fighters that MacDonald doesn't have.  Add that to the fact that MacDonald is a complete and total charisma vacuum and we have one of the most boring fighters of all time.  For someone who has made a career out of smashing the shit out of dudes with big punches, you would think that Jake Ellenberger would try to add some basic boxing technique to his repertoire.  He had absolutely no answer to the most basic boxing punch and eventually just stood there and got punched in the face.  The GSP/Hendricks fight will probably be a replay of this with more GSP takedowns thrown in.  It doesn't matter if you can inflict brain damage with one shot if you can't competently set it up against an opponent with a good jab.

The play it safe style can cost you a lot of money though for most people.  If you're not exciting they're just not going to be in a rush to get you in a title fight.  If Rory wins convincingly or at least looks better than he did I'd imagine Dana saying right away that he fights the winner of GSP/Hendricks.  But he's not saying that now.  Now he'll probably have to win against another tough fighter. 

The play it safe style can cost you a lot of money though for most people.  If you're not exciting they're just not going to be in a rush to get you in a title fight.  If Rory wins convincingly or at least looks better than he did I'd imagine Dana saying right away that he fights the winner of GSP/Hendricks.  But he's not saying that now.  Now he'll probably have to win against another tough fighter. 

Yeah now he probably gets either Maia or the winner of Condit/Kampmann. 

God I would love to see Maia sub him in like 30 seconds.

We need to run his fight stats next to every other champion because no one can be thinking this guy is just taking the SAFEST path to victory. Not after the fights with Ian McCall and Benavidez.

Rory MacDonald played keep away by jabbing Jake Ellenberger for 15 minutes, but Demetrious Johnson played it safe as well. Like, did Ben Henderson not play with his hair for two rounds against Gilbert Melendez before he got going? If Matt Hume told Demetrious to lay on his opponents for 25 minutes, he literally could do that. I mean he ONLY went TWELVE for TWELVE in takedowns. 

Rory MacDonald played keep away by jabbing Jake Ellenberger for 15 minutes, but Demetrious Johnson played it safe as well. Like, did Ben Henderson not play with his hair for two rounds against Gilbert Melendez before he got going? If Matt Hume told Demetrious to lay on his opponents for 25 minutes, he literally could do that. I mean he ONLY went TWELVE for TWELVE in takedowns. 

I don't understand your point, are you saying that taking a guy down is playing it safe?  How can you play it safe when you are attacking the entire time?  Demetrious Johnson pushed the pace made Moraga fight the exact opposite fight than he wanted to fight eventually finishing him.  What more did you want him to do?

I don't understand your point, are you saying that taking a guy down is playing it safe?  How can you play it safe when you are attacking the entire time?  Demetrious Johnson pushed the pace made Moraga fight the exact opposite fight than he wanted to fight eventually finishing him.  What more did you want him to do?

I am saying the exact opposite.

Demetrious said after the fight he wasn't bothered if he finished the job guy or not, he's boring as fuck.

Are you high?  He said he wouldn't care if he finished the guy he just finished, directly after he defended his tilte and dominated his opponent for 25 minutes.  That has nothing to do with what actually happened in the fight.  Who cares if he wouldn't be bothered for just smashing a guy for 25 minutes and not armbarring him?  He won in a dominant fashion in his home town.

Demetrious said after the fight he wasn't bothered if he finished the job guy or not, he's boring as fuck.

Are you high? He said he wouldn't care if he finished the guy he just finished, directly after he defended his tilte and dominated his opponent for 25 minutes. That has nothing to do with what actually happened in the fight. Who cares if he wouldn't be bothered for just smashing a guy for 25 minutes and not armbarring him? He won in a dominant fashion in his home town.
In boring fashion.