DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs. Moraga (7/27/2013) - Seattle, WA (KeyArena)

Elsalvajeloco

So what the fuck was your point about Rory then?

You guys wouldn't be so upset if he didn't have personality. You can't call someone wooden and bland and then blow up when he actually does something that makes him stand out.

I think with Rory the issue is more "this guy is creepy and irritating and I don't want to watch him" rather than someone like Floyd Mayweather where it's "this guy is an asshole, and I will pay my hard earned money to watch someone try and shut him up"

Bad comparison. Floyd had a history of people actually believing that he could not and would not ever draw a reasonable dime. It took him NINE YEARS from the time he won fighter of the year until the Ricky Hatton fight for people to actually get on board. By the time Floyd was Rory's age, people began to wonder if his drawing power could actually catch up to this persona he began to create once he came out his first retirement/hiatus. It wasn't enough that he had beat Diego Corrales and was talking about how good he was. He had another five years before he became someone. 

So what the fuck was your point about Rory then?

You guys wouldn't be so upset if he didn't have personality. You can't call someone wooden and bland and then blow up when he actually does something that makes him stand out.
 I think with Rory the issue is more "this guy is creepy and irritating and I don't want to watch him" rather than someone like Floyd Mayweather where it's "this guy is an asshole, and I will pay my hard earned money to watch someone try and shut him up"
Exactly. Everyone likes to make Patrick Bateman jokes about him but he really does give off a sociopathic vibe. He displayed no emotion when talking about his girlfriend of several years on the hype special and basically said he likes her because she's compliant.

Good for him.

Anyway, do people consider the MacDonald/Ellenberger fight the de facto main event? The Road to the Octagon show got virtually nothing out of Demetrius and Moraga outside of they got kids or have kids on the way.

Good for him.

Anyway, do people consider the MacDonald/Ellenberger fight the de facto main event? The Road to the Octagon show got virtually nothing out of Demetrius and Moraga outside of they got kids or have kids on the way.

Yes. I'm also more looking forward to Liz Carmouche vs. Jessica Andrade than the main event. Flyweight is one of my least favourite UFC divisions.

Room for one more hoping MacDonald get's KO'd?

I don't think I've sat through a single 125lb fight yet and I don't plan to with this. 

On Rory- just the act of doing something that someone didn't like doesn't all of a sudden give you personality.  It just means you did something that made people not like you.  He didn't do that lame ass shuffle and showboat BJ because he has some polarizing personality.  He did it because he was trying to look cool and instead he just looked like a dumbass and made people dislike him.  He's bland. 

And you can talk about Chael and compare him to pro wrestling and say that if you want to watch something like that then you'll just watch pro wrestling but that's a lie and it's a lie because you'll watch Chael Sonnen too just like everybody else.  The proof is in the pudding with the PPV buys.  People weren't so quick to shell out dollars to watch Anderson fight Yushin Okami, Dan Henderson, etc. but they paid to watch Chael Sonnen fight him. 

Maybe Robbie Lawler's best performance. Now the question is whether he can do that in a row. 

After watching the preview for new UF season, I can see why some people say that Rousey doesn't come off good. Nice to see that breaking her arm hasn't dulled her complete hatred of her.

Not sure what the sound of money going down the toilet sounds like but whatever it is Rory heard it over and over and over again with that fight.   Dana would be nuts to give Rory a title fight after that snoozer.

Good lord was that fight a fucking sleeping pill or what?

Lawler looked real good.  Expect him to never be matched up against Rory (the way they shoved him down the audiences throats to night was really bad).  On the undercard, Melvin looked great (although hearing Danzig cry in pain was rough) and Jorge Masvidal impressed.

Man MacDonald/Ellenberger was such a bust.  What was Ellenberger trying to do out there?  Did he think he'd be able to land that one good shot on Rory?

Johnson/Moraga was a lot of fun.  Glad to see a champ go for the finish and get it that late into the fight even if he was ahead on the score cards.  Usually the champ will just coast to the finish.  

I'd say Benavidez/Johnson II is inevitable at this point, provided Benavidez beats Formiga.

Not sure what the sound of money going down the toilet sounds like but whatever it is Rory heard it over and over and over again with that fight.   Dana would be nuts to give Rory a title fight after that snoozer.

The fight most people were looking forward to as well. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Tempted to watch the above fight to see how bad it is.

Welcome back TheVileOne, was wondering where you was.

• Like 1

The fight most people were looking forward to as well. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Tempted to watch the above fight to see how bad it is.

Welcome back TheVileOne, was wondering where you was.

LOL, I was wondering where the forum was.  I just noticed a PM from Epwar on another forum the link for this one.  I thought DVDR got like nuked or swallowed up by the internet or something.