DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs. Moraga (7/27/2013) - Seattle, WA (KeyArena)

Elsalvajeloco

Posted Image

UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga
July 27, 2013
Seattle, WA (KeyArena)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (124.5) vs. John Moraga (124.5) (second defense) - Johnson, SUB (armbar), R5 (3:43)
Rory MacDonald (170.5) vs. Jake Ellenberger (171) - MacDonald, DEC (unanimous)
Robbie Lawler (170.5) vs. Bobby Voelker (170) - Lawler, KO (high kick and punches), R2 (0:24)
Liz Carmouche (136) vs. Jessica Andrade (134) - Carmouche, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:57)

FX Preliminary Card:
Michael Chiesa (155.5) vs. Jorge Masvidal (157.5)** - Masvidal, SUB (d'arce choke), R2 (4:59)
Danny Castillo (155) vs. Tim Means (160)* - Castillo, DEC (unanimous)
Mac Danzig (155) vs. Melvin Guillard (155) - Guillard, KO (punches), R2 (2:47)
Yves Edwards (155) vs. Daron Cruickshank (156) - Cruickshank, DEC (split)
Ed Herman (186) vs. Trevor Smith (185) - Herman, DEC (split)
Julie Kedzie (135.5) vs. Germaine de Randamie (135) - de Randamie, DEC (split)

Facebook Preliminary Card:
Aaron Riley (156) vs. Justin Salas (155) - Salas, DEC (split)
John Albert (137)* vs. Yaotzin Meza (136) - Meza, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:49)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Made weight on second attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000) :
Knockout of the Night: Melvin Guillard
Submission of the Night: Demetrious Johnson
Fight of the Night: Ed Herman vs. Trevor Smith

Attendance: 8,967
Gate: $700,081
Rating: 1.5 (2.384 million)

Cancelled Bouts:
Robbie Lawler vs. Siyar Bahadurzada - Injury to Bahadurzada
Matt Mitrione vs.Brendan Schaub - Injury to Mitrione
Miesha Tate vs. Liz Carmouche - Tate Removed From Card Due to The Ultimate Fighter
Michael Chiesa vs. Reza Madadi - Madadi Removed From Card Due to Visa Issues
Yves Edwards vs. Spencer Fisher - Injury to Fisher
Danny Castillo vs. Bobby Green - Injury to Green
Tarec Saffiedine vs. Robbie Lawler - Injury to Saffiedine

Nice presentation Elsalvajeloco. Not keen on the Flyweight division, preferred it when Bantamweight was the lowest weight class for men. I forgot Liz Carmouche was fighting on this show.

Thank you, sir.

I think everyone forgot Liz Carmouche was on the card. Apparently, Jessica Andrade is a lesbian too so that makes this the first UFC bout between two individuals who openly identify themselves as gay or lesbian. You would expect that would get bigger coverage.

• Like 1

I wasn't really a big fan of Rory to begin with but what really got me was the BJ fight.  He was just beating the hell out of BJ and then to showboat the way he did after BJ was already so demoralized and beaten was just ridiculous. 

I wasn't really a big fan of Rory to begin with but what really got me was the BJ fight.  He was just beating the hell out of BJ and then to showboat the way he did after BJ was already so demoralized and beaten was just ridiculous. 

And such a shitty effort at showboating.

• Like 1

OH NO! NOT THIS AGAIN!

I don't want reignite this argument again. But I will say this: it's good that Rory can engender this type of response. If his 80s Mid-Atlantic heel shtick can make people upset, then he can actually be at least a mid-level draw for the UFC down the line. If you look at the Fox deal now, all it did was basically elevate the WEC guys (Benson, Pettis, Cub, Koch, DJ, Castillo, etc.) from Versus. And from the business Benson and Aldo have generated so far, just being a quality fighter doesn't really do it. At least Aldo has a small net with the money coming from Brazil. But who knows how the market will be if they keep cranking out cards with subpar starpower. If Rory can make himself someone who can break the 400,000 buy threshold or get a decent enough rating on Fox, it's basically on him if he succeeds or not. It's evident that they need more personalities who can get themselves over rather than just billing people as ____________ champion. 

• Like 1

What personality? He's wallpaper

I doubt folks panties would be in a bunch if he didn't have any personality. You don't have to be Rowdy Piper to have personality or charisma.

What personality? He's wallpaper

I doubt folks panties would be in a bunch if he didn't have any personality. You don't have to be Rowdy Piper to have personality or charisma.

He's creepy and does an awful Ali shuffle. That doesn't = buys.

That wasn't my point. 

I don't think he has any personality at all either but I think his actions have made enough people dislike him enough to tune in hoping he gets beat.  So that will probably translate into buys.  But that only works because of his ability as a fighter.  If he wasn't really damn good, nobody would really give enough of a crap to begin with. 

I don't think he has any personality at all either but I think his actions have made enough people dislike him enough to tune in hoping he gets beat.  So that will probably translate into buys.  But that only works because of his ability as a fighter.  If he wasn't really damn good, nobody would really give enough of a crap to begin with. 

We need to define what personality is. Because I doubt people can look at someone's actions and then deem them to have no personality. 

When I think of personality I think of guys like Chael Sonnen, Rashad, Rampage, the Diaz brothers, etc. Rory is just wooden vanilla dreck.

That's not really great names to showcase what personality actually is. The first name you listed is a person who basically cribs his material from Dusty Rhodes promos and has stuff written for him beforehand. When he actually does come off as authentic, such as telling the story about how his mom almost shot Yushin Okami, people rarely get to see it. 

I am not really sure why you listed Rashad since nothing about him particularly stands out except for the fact that people had the exact same resentment for Rashad five years ago that they have for Rory now. There are plenty of people still mad that he did that Fred Sanford heart attack bit after he sent Chuck Liddell to an alternate dimension. If you were doing PR events, I doubt he would be in the top 10 or 15 fighters you would send. Hell, you wouldn't send any of those dudes to do PR outside commentary booth Chael. Nick Diaz wouldn't even show up. You wouldn't send "talking about beating up LeBron James" Chael Sonnen to make your product look stupid and bush league. If I want to watch manufactured quasi-pro wrestling stuff, I'll watch....get this...pro wrestling. 

So what the fuck was your point about Rory then?

You guys wouldn't be so upset if he didn't have personality. You can't call someone wooden and bland and then blow up when he actually does something that makes him stand out.

So what the fuck was your point about Rory then?

You guys wouldn't be so upset if he didn't have personality. You can't call someone wooden and bland and then blow up when he actually does something that makes him stand out.

I think with Rory the issue is more "this guy is creepy and irritating and I don't want to watch him" rather than someone like Floyd Mayweather where it's "this guy is an asshole, and I will pay my hard earned money to watch someone try and shut him up"