DVDVR Message Board

All things Batman and the big screen.

The Natural

I'm interested to know why people don't like The Prestige's ending.

It doesn't really play fair with what we know of that world's technological capabilities, and thus is kind-of a cop out from a storytelling standpoint.

Well, you be the guy who pretends to have sex with supermodels, and I'll be the guy who actually does have sex with Supermodels, and everyone's happy.

Except you.

If I were living Bruce Wayne's life, you can be sure I wouldn't be pretending to sleep with supermodels, nor would I dress as a bat.

It doesn't really play fair with what we know of that world's technological capabilities, and thus is kind-of a cop out from a storytelling standpoint.

This! There were no prior indications in the movie that cloning is something that is possible in that world. You can't introduce a concept like this in the last five minutes of a movie. You could have just as well brought in aliens or time travel.

If you could live Bruce Wayne's life, or Tony Stark's life, which would you choose? Stark, right? That's why Iron Man films are better than Batman films.

It probably has more to do with the whole parents murdered in front of him as a child aspect of the story.  Not sure how that automatically makes for IM being better, though.

I think as far as trilogy to trilogy goes, I'd say Iron Man and Batman Beings are fairly close, I'd give a slight edge to Iron Man 3 over TDKR, and a HUGE edge to The Dark Knight vs. Iron Man 2.

Dammit Fowler, you couldn't be farther off from the truth.  The fact that IM3 to me was weak and TDKR is pretty decent (but not great) gives me a feeling that Bats is about 8 out of 10 as a trilogy and IM is about 6 out of 10, just because IM2 was so incredibly shitty and TDK is as good a sequel as there is.

Here's how they stack up for me:

Iron Man: 7 out of 10  Batman Begins: 8 out of 10

Iron Man 2: 4 out of 10  The Dark Knight: 9 out of 10

Iron Man 3: 6 out of 10  The Dark Knight Returns 7 out of 10

Average Scores

IM: 5.6666 (Round up to 6)

Bats: 8

I've said here that I didn't care for IM3, but it wasn't a horrible movie.

None of the Bats trilogy is anything approaching bad.

Mickey Rourke was ......yeah. Rockwell was underutilized IMO. Pearce was just fine, but Ben Kingsley was hilarious. I'll admit having two villains (or 1 1/2 in the case of IM3) to supplement for one good villain is just fucking weird though. And I liked Iron Man 3.

I had absolutely zero problems with Mandarin, either version.

Bane never came off even slightly threatening to me, possibly because I was giggling about his incredibly stupid voice every time he talked.  At least the Manadrin stuff in IM3 was intentionally funny.

All this talk of which film is better, and you're all missing one off the list. So, in honur of the Natural's love of listing things in the order of how much you like them, here's Iron Man movies and Nolan-Bats movies in order of how much I like them:

THE AVENGERS

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Batman Begins

Iron Man 3

Iron Man 2

The Dark Knight Rises.

RANK

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Begins

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

I like Iron Man 2, I don't really find anything offensive about it. I had a bigger problem with IM 3's twist and lack of S.H.I.E.L.D./Avengers than anything in IM 2. 

Batman Begins is a Fine Batman movie, The Dark Knight is a fine action movie. The Dark Knight Rises is a mess.

If I must:

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Batman Begins

Iron Man 3

Iron Man 2

The Dark Knight Rises

• Like 1

Here is the only legit ranking:

All the Batmans

All the Iron Mans

Fin.

I wish to sign up to be your new apprentice. Teach me your ways, oh rotund one...

• Like 1

Batman Begins is a Fine Batman movie, The Dark Knight is a fine action movie. The Dark Knight Rises is a mess.If I must:The Dark KnightIron ManBatman BeginsIron Man 3Iron Man 2The Dark Knight Rises

You mustn't. You mustn't. I didn't even ask.

• Like 1