DVDVR Message Board

cricket

xavier

Ireland squeaks through by five runs against Zimbabwe.. Now they're actually hoping for the weather gods to pull through, as a No Result (weather) against Pakistan or India will put them through (If the Windies fail to win against the UAE, they will also be through)

Well, since I had a bit of time, I bought and read Kevin Pietersen's auto biography on Kindle. I have a jumble of thoughts about it, but this is most prevalent.

A) Kevin Pietersen is a diva. He is the epitome of the modern cricket superstar. A bit prone to creating drama and needs careful management. He straight up admits he has no interest in warm up games (he calls them Harvey Norman or "Zero Interest Down" games), and dislikes ODI's.

BUT..

B ) What we saw in England this World Cup is just the end result of bad decisions five+ years ago where cliques basically destroyed the Ashes winning side of 2009. When you get modern superstars on one side, and dyed in the wool, conservative stick in the mud types running the show on the other, things are going to break down. Hard. They failed to develop the next Freddy Flintoff (or Kevin Pietersen for that matter, even if he is South African), and the current generation of players are just not up to the challenge. I feel like they're going to wilt hard under the pressure of this summer's Ashes series.

I don't know why I am surprised every single time that South Africa find a new way to drop the world cup, but I am.

I know, they are such a Boer at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...