DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER

RIPPA

The Robinson match is a pretty amazingly framed spectacle when it comes to protecting Robinson. He takes most of the first fall and the first brunt of the second, including a couple of big power moves, with Abdullah making him look like a million bucks (which admittedly, he was) until the freak knee accident happens. Even after that and the awesome mauling by Abdullah, once they finally get him back into the ring, he fights like a champ while selling the knee like a king. It makes Abdullah's gloating post match all the more awesome. I'd have paid good money for a rematch at the time.

I'm thinking one of those hosts one of the awesome King Curtis promos against Big Bad John's Army... either way all should be watched.

First clip, yep. THIS WAAAAAAR IS JUST BEGINNING!

I got to meet Abdullah on my first trip to Japan. It was just so much fun to be sitting around with him, talking, listening. Took pictures, bought merch. Great stuff.

ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER IN NEW JAPAN

Volume 1
Running Time: 1:53

1/8/82 Abby, Dynamite Kid, Baby Face vs. Antonio Inoki, Tiger Mask, Tatsumi Fujinami
1/15/82 Black Power Team interview (Bad News, SD, Abby)
1/15/82 Abby, Bad News Allen, SD Jones vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu
1/22/82 Abby, Bad News Allen vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami
1/28/82 Abby vs. Antonio Inoki
2/7/82 Abby, Perro Aguayo vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami (2/3 Falls, Mexico)

Volume 2
Running Time: 1:53

2/9/82 Abby vs. Dusty Rhodes
4/21/82 Abby vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
4/30/82 Abby, Bad News Allen, SD Jones vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Seiji Sakaguchi, Yoshiaki Yatsu (2/3 Falls)
5/7/82 Abby, Bad News Allen vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Seiji Sakaguchi
5/14/82 Abby vs. Seiji Sakaguchi
5/28/82 Abby vs. Hulk Hogan
6/4/82 Abby, Bad News Allen, SD Jones vs. Hulk Hogan, Tatsumi Fujinami, Yoshiaki Yatsu (2/3 Falls)

Volume 3
1982-85
Running Time: 1:59

6/11/82 Abby, Bad News Allen vs. Hulk Hogan, Seiji Sakaguchi
10/8/82 Abby, Bad News Allen, SD Jones vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu
10/15/82 Abby vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
10/22/82 Abby, Bad News Allen vs. Antonio Inoki, Seiji Sakaguchi
11/12/82 Abby, Bad News Allen, Rusher Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Seiji Sakaguchi
1/1/84 Abby vs. Seiji Sakaguchi
1/6/84 Abby, Bad News Allen vs. Riki Choshu, Animal Hamaguchi
1/27/84 Abby vs. Bad News Allen
9/7/84 Abby vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
1/11/85 Abby vs. Seiji Sakaguchi
1/25/85 Abby vs. Antonio Inoki

BEST OF ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER & TNT IN ALL JAPAN
Running Time: 1:59

11/21/87 Abby, TNT vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Yoshiaki Yatsu (World Strongest Tag League)
11/28/87 Abby, TNT vs. John Tenta, Great Kabuki (World Strongest Tag League)
12/2/87 Abby, TNT vs. Genichiro Tenryu, Ashura Hara (World Strongest Tag League)
12/11/87 Abby, TNT vs.  Giant Baba, Taishi Wajima (World Strongest Tag League)
12/12/87 Abby, TNT vs. Tom Zenk, Terminator (World Strongest Tag League)
1/3/88 Abby, TNT vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Great Kabuki
1/9/88 Abby, TNT vs. Genichiro Tenryu, Ashura Hara (PWF World Tag Team Titles)
1/28/88 Abby, TNT vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, John Tenta
1/29/88 Abby, TNT vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Yoshiaki Yatsu

HA! I just found the review of the Abby match with the TEN-YOO interview in DVDVR #95. 

GENICHIRO TENRYU/ TATSUMI KITAHARA/ JUN KIKUCHI vs. ABDULLAH the 
BUTCHER/ TARZAN GOTO/ RYO MIYAKE (Cage match) 
One trembles in fear at the mighty WAR Main Event.  You never know what you’ll get. This DID have the absolutely GREAT Abdullah interview.  “You’ve never tasted the fork, Ten-you!  The Butcher Is EATING YOU, Ten-you!”  Abby speaking English and delving so deeply into the realm of the Antichristo interview for all-out creepiness was priceless.  The match itself was quite the hideous thing because Kitahara never gets to kick the fuck out of anything so to hell with all this.  They carve up Tenryu pretty good, if your into that kind of thing. I GOT ALL OF THIS!

Can care less how good it is, this must be seen.

That Robinson 2/3 falls match was incredible. Plus it led me down the rabbit hole of a couple other really cool things. Hogan vs Abby from 82 for one. Hate filled brawl, a top 5 Hogan match for me.

Is it possible Flair never worked Abdullah one on one? Shit I couldn't even find evidence of them facing off in a tag.